Monday, February 23, 2009

A few fun things

Elijah found another true love...the cute stuffed monkey from the last post (a birthday gift from Dan's mom). He holds it in front of him and stares lovingly at his face. He will occasionally kiss it or giggle at it. When I got him out of bed this morning he was gazing into Monkey's eyes with a huge smile on his face.

I was playing with Elijah yesterday when he did TWO new signs that I have never seen him do before. Of course, he won't do them again, but this just shows how much he's messing with me. He put his finger tips together and then pointed at his nose. This is the sign for more, so I said, "More nose?" He did it again, and I realized he was doing the sign for "owie," which is very similar. He had goopy snot all over his nose (yum) so I'm guessing he was telling me it felt weird and to please get rid of it?? It's my best guess. Then just a few minutes later I was singing a song that he listens to a lot. After I sang the part that goes, "Kitten, kitten, Kuh Kuh Kuh.." he pinched his cheek. I said, "Cheek? Ohhhh yes, kitty!" Pinching your cheeks like whiskers is the sign for cat. Wow, kid, you need to divulge all that you know. We haven't shown him the signs for "kitty" or "owie" in a very long time, so he has to have a ton of knowledge in that little head that he's just waiting to release.

Then later, he was playing with his letter magnets on the fridge. He crawled over to me and handed me the letter X and then said, "Kuh. Kuh." Close enough. Wow, he even knows what sounds letters make? Yes, he's definitely holding out.

This weekend he started occasionally pointing to me and saying, "Mama!" and to Dan and saying, "Dada!" Dan and I looked at each other a couple times like, WHOA! COOL!

On Saturday I heard him in the living room doing his usual alien-sounding babble. I peeked in and he had my phone up to his ear, blabbing away. He went on and on, then he said, "BYYYyyeeeee!" and pushed a button and set the phone down. I wish I had gotten this on video but the batteries were dead. It was so stinkin' cute.

5 comments:

mina said...

Sounds like Elijah is waaayyy ahead from what he lets on. Hey, there's no doubt he's a smart little guy, it must be his laid back temperament.

And Megan, next time, charge the batteries please! We love to see Elijah's antics.

Jess said...

Uh oh. If he's talking that much on the phone already, just imagine what it will be like when he's a teenager!

Sounds like he's making some big strides. Go Elijah go!

~Jess

Kathy said...

gosh he's a smarty pants!!!

just add it to the list of ALL the things I love about your little man!!

Tracy said...

Awww, sooo cute! It's amazing the amount of info they keep stored in their little heads ... and then share bits and pieces when they feel like it :).

Unknown said...

I don't know how many times Arianna has been trying to sign something to be and I feel so bad for not understanding what it is. Then one day it just clicks in my head....oh that is what she is saying. I really want to start signing more with her again.

He is such a smart little man!