Wednesday, April 15, 2009

One year ago..

I remember waiting for the anesthesia team to come take him. I remember thinking how sick and purple he looked as we took turns cuddling with him. I remember telling him I loved him as the doctors carried him into the OR. I remember turning to walk back down the hall through blurry eyes. I remember the waiting. I remember being surprised about the peace I felt for most of that time. I remember getting a weird feeling in my tummy when there was an especially long time between updates. I remember literally wanting to hug his cardiologist when he said the words, "He did better than I ever could have expected." I remember walking into the PICU. I remember pushing the familiar button on the wall to open the door. I remember turning around to give Dan a HERE WE GO face. I remember taking a deep breath before I walked into the room. I remember my first glance of him, his nose bloodied and tubes and wires everywhere. I remember looking at the monitor and seeing a 98% saturation reading and starting to cry. I remember his nurse updating us as she sorted through the chaos of wires. I remember how helpless and panicked his high temperature and high heart rate made me feel. I remember him being bathed in ice water in an attempt to correct it all. I remember how relieved I felt when things stabilized. I remember holding his hand and whispering into his ear, telling him how strong he was. I remember feeling more drained than I had ever felt in my life. I remember lying in a sleep room, only a few feet from him, but feeling like he was a million miles away. I remember being terrified that somebody would knock on our door telling us something bad had happened. I remember praying to God that he get through this.

8 comments:

my life: said...

Thanks for the morning cry! Tuff stuff...I'm glad it is a memory... at this point.

Which is why, when God put it on my heart *in spite of my own fears* to fly out and be with Moriah and her momma for a couple of days...I said...O.K. FYI...I have a layover in St. Paul. :0) Of course it's only long enough for me to find my next gate..but I'll be there! :0)

Squeeze him extra tight for me today!!!!

Sarah said...

Crying remembering with you the fears and anxieties of the surgery on our babies. Hugs today.

TimnKatienElinSam said...

Today is a day for celebration!! Now the tears I cry for you guys are tears of happiness!! Standing back as others hold the life of your child in their hands is one of the worst things I have ever experienced. It has created such an amazing appreciation of their special little lives. Big hugs from the Yoders!!

Tina:0) said...

And, thank God, its now just a memory!! Wow, what a difference a year can make:0) I have some of those exact same memories... from almost a year ago!

Give that cutie pie big hugs from us!!

Cecilia said...

Life isn't easy, but still good. Thank goodness its only a memory! Elijah is doing well now. Hugs to you all xoxo.

mina said...

Chills! Such a blessing that Elijah is doing well now.

Kathy said...

Megan...you're such a sweet person. That is indeed a distant memory. Tuck it away...and hug that wild man you have! He's such a figher, a super star...and like I've said a MILLION times...we must tell these stories often and remind our kids how strong they were...but, how strong WE were...so that they take good care of us when we're old!!
we deserve gold plated wheel chairs!
I hope you're having a good day remembering how far he's come....

jennifer said...

**Sniffle** Love you, Heart Mama.