Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Shrieking and appointment updates

Just when Elijah's cough was starting to get a little bit better.. He woke up this morning with some lovely new congestion. We may as well sit back and enjoy the coughing, because it appears that it is never going to leave.

For the past few weeks, Elijah has started making this horribly loud and annoying noise any time he wants attention. It is not a good noise. It's the noise you hear in the grocery story and then think, "What kind of parents does THAT child have?" We have tried a few different approaches to get him to stop doing it and nothing has worked. Yesterday as we were driving in between doctor appointments (more on those below), and as the shrieking was getting totally out of control, I decided that we needed to take extreme measures. Dan and I chatted and decided that we were going to start Screaming Boot Camp. When at home, a scream equals a timeout (which he detests), period. No exceptions. When in public, a scream equals zero attention from Mommy and Daddy (which he detests). In addition to this, we will reward the good behavior and the good sounds, and do all of this CONSISTENTLY. We tried it when we got home, and it helped. A lot! I noticed at least six times last night where he stopped himself before letting out a shriek. I really hope this works. These noises are enough to drive us mad!

Ok, onto the important stuff.. Our first stop yesterday was cardiology. The emotional trauma Elijah endured was worse than I have ever seen. He was a complete mess when the nurse weighed, measured and xrayed him. He did great for the echo, thanks to Veggie Tales and since I was able to have him sit on my lap through the procedure. And he did great with Dr. G, as usual. Toward the end of the appointment, he even crawled over to him, sat at the foot of his chair and just stared longingly up at him.

Elijah's heart function and valve function look perfect. The only concern is that it is very hard to see what is going on with his pulmonary arteries through the echo. This may or may not indicate a problem. There is no way to know right now, but it is a good sign that he isn't showing any symptoms. If blood flow through his arteries is stressed, he will start to get easily fatigued, so this is a symptom to keep our eyes open for. Unless this starts happening soon, we don't have to go back for SIX MONTHS. That is the longest reprieve we've had yet! So, right around October, Elijah will have his sixth heart cath to get a closer look at those arteries and to see how they are functioning. From there we will have a better idea about when surgery #3 will happen. We really couldn't have asked for a better cardiology report yesterday.

Since cardiology took so long, we missed our pulmonology appointment, but we made it to urology. Dr. R was literally in the room for about 60 seconds. "Everything looks great, come back in a year." If everything still looks great at that time we will never need to go back.

We need to reschedule pulmonology and next Wednesday is neurology. Just a couple more and then we will hopefully have a nice break, just in time for summer.

Thank you for checking in on our shrieking munchkin!

10 comments:

Kathy said...

you've got to post a video of that shirieking!

Looks like Elijah and Isaac are on the same schedule...caths in 6 months. I wish we lived closer so that they could recover together. Isaac did the same thing...throwing a fit with the nurses...like the scale is going to hurt them. (our nurse told me that it won't get better until they're 4 or 5!) holy moly!

Glad you got good reports....good luck on the shrieking!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about all the screaming.

At Least you do not have to go in for 6 more months that is a plus.

mina said...

Good to hear about the cardiology report. No appointments for six months must be such a treat!

Sounds like you guys are being firm about the shreiking, it's good that the positive and negative reinforcement are working. Maybe as his speech develops he'll find gentler ways to communicate!

Sarah said...

6 months? WOOHOO!!!

Cecilia said...

Glad to hear about the good reports. I love your idea of the Screaming Boot Camp, clever girl!
To me, Elijah is always a sweet and cute little boy!!!

jencooper said...

Okay, seriously, Grace and Elijah are two peas in a pod!! Congestion...check. Shrieking...check.
Wants attention....check!!

I am so happy to hear that you had a terrific heart check up!! That is so exciting!!

Hang in there!! This too shall pass, right? (I am honestly looking for some reassurance here...my ears are killing me!)

<3,
Jennifer

Tina:0) said...

Yay for all the good appointments!! 6 months?? I'm jealous! I think the day that Vaeh can go 6 months I'll have a party!

Give that "shrieking munchkin" hugs from us!

Jess said...

What great news!

I can really understand where you're coming from on the shrieking. Connor periodically latches on to new noises and repeats them over and over again. At one time the favorite was what we entitled his "air raid siren." Thankfully we're past that one, but his latest one sounds like he's attempting to hock a loogie. It's really attractive.

~Jess

Mami Adame said...

I call what Angelina does squaking- and it is very annoying and tiresome. I was actually thinking about time outs. I haven't done it yet but, I think I will have to try it out. If I ever get around to posting, I think I'll catch her on video and post it!
Sadly though I think she does it because I can't understand what she is trying to tell me :(
Good luck with the shrieking.

cindy said...

Don't know what to tell ya about the shrieking. I DO know that Jacob is 2- 1/2 now and still does it when he wants attention! Ugh! Those little ones must have been born with the ability to reach higher decibels!

So glad to hear about the great appointments. Elijah just seems to be getting better and stronger all the time. Hard to believe the surgery was a year ago already! He's come such a long way!

Give that neck of his a little munch from me, okay?!! :)

Love,

Cindy