Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Blue

We had a bit of a scary experience yesterday. I went home for lunch to get some baby lovin' time and after I had fed Elijah some lunch, he started grunting really hard. We have been weaning him off of formula and onto cow's milk, so I think this has his poor little belly a bit upset. He has never had issues with constipation, but now he's working a little extra hard to push things through. So he was pushing and grunting harder than I've ever seen him push and grunt and then he started crying and acting funny. I picked him up and that's when I noticed that his lips looked a little bit blue. I laid him down to see if he had pushed anything out and his face looked really colorless to me. That freaked me out. I scooped him up and took him upstairs and just cuddled with him for a minute to calm him down. Once he was calm, he looked fine and was acting like his perky self again.

I called the Gman and asked him if this was normal. He said that for Elijah, at this point in the game, it isn't unlikely. If he's working REALLY hard or if he gets REALLY mad, these blue spells are possible until he gets his repair. He said he's ok with it happening once, but if it happens twice, we need to move the cath date up. We are going to bring Elijah in for an O2 check this afternoon, and assuming everything is fine with that, then we'll just wait and see what happens and stick with our March 19th cath.

I was a bit on edge yesterday. I even got up in the middle of the night to check on him and I NEVER do that. Surgery is near! I've even been smelling the hospital lately. That sounds so crazy, but I swear it's true! Today I'm feeling better. Elijah is so strong. He's going to be just fine. We'll just have to keep an extra eye on him when he's over-exerting himself in the next few weeks.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

I know what you are "smelling". It is amazing what our senses can pick up on. You and I are so much alike. I am glad that you were reassured by the G-man. Keep us posted. I am keeping you guys in my prayers.
Love,
Samantha

Anonymous said...

Oh what panic - I'd be on edge too. You guys are in our prayers.

Kathy said...

Oh...why did he have to freak you out like that?? (you'll have to keep him on apple juice or pear juice to keep him "flowing freely"!!)
At least you knew his defect and knew that blueness was a possibility (can you imagine how many moms get freaked out because they didn't know that was possible!) ELI...you behave for your mom...and don't work so hard to poop..it'll come out.
I'll check back ALL day to see what his O2 numbers are. Praying they're good enough to keep the cath date!!!
Hugs,
Kathy

Sarah said...

Praying today and will be back to see how the appointment went. I definately can smell the ICU at Kosair's when I get scared, isn't that strange, didn't know many other people did that! I visit some local heart kids now and then and when I step off the elevator onto the heart floor it is like that smell hits me smack in the face - I've even had to turn around and get myself together and try again before making it to the room.

TimnKatienElinSam said...

Sending lots of prayers your way for the MD visit today. Those little stinkers love to scare us! You guys are doing such a great job taking care of your little man! I am just amazed by the whole "mother's instinct". By the way, I LOVED the pictures of his chubby thighs....I just want to squeeze him!

Big hugs,
the Yoders

jencooper said...

I know that you must have been in a panic!! ELI - YOU STOP THAT! I hate this feeling. It sucks. I hope that his O2 check went great! Please let us know.

<3,
Jen