Thursday, February 21, 2008

One-year well visit

We took Elijah to his one-year well visit with Dr. Judy today. It went great! Well, aside from the fact that his oxygen sats are even lower than they were last week (they ran between 72-75% today). That's to be expected, though, because he is growing very fast. My mommy intuition tells me that surgery is NEAR. The G-man told us we would schedule surgery when he dips below the 70% mark and he is almost there!

The aching pain in my arm and back is confirmation that we have a chunky monkey. Today Elijah weighed 22 lb. 10 oz. and was 29.5 inches long. He's in the 50th percentile for both! His head circumference is in the 70th percentile! He's awesome!

We are finally able to get rid of one of his nebulizer medications. Now he will only be inhaling Pulmicort twice a day to prevent lung distress. This is wonderful news. And he gets to start drinking yummy cow's milk (thank goodness, SO MUCH CHEAPER) instead of formula.

Dr. Judy told us not to worry AT ALL about his delayed gross motor development. He is making progress and that is all that matters. Who knows how much work it might be for Elijah to get places on his own. We just don't know how hard his little body is working and how yucky it might make him feel to move around a whole bunch (although from his great disposition, you'd never know he felt yucky). His fine motor skills and speech are right on par, so he is doing very well, considering everything he has been through. Oh and his molars are about to break through the gums!

We met some good friends of ours that we haven't seen in a long time at the Bonfire. It was so good to see them! As always, Elijah was a little ham and was incredibly good. What other baby would sit happily in his high chair for two hours, not fussing once, just eating Cheerios and smiling at everyone who walked by? At the end of dinner they brought out a cake for him. He dug his hands in it and licked the frosting in delight. It was really cute. We got some pics of the lunar eclipse! It's so cool that that happened on Elijah's first birthday. Saturday is the big birthday party! Elijah can't wait for more cake!


He likes you, Neal! You're a natural. I wish we could have seen your sweet baby girl last night, too. We miss you!


AAaaww, so cute.


Jon and Anna, the cutest skydiving couple we know. We miss you guys, too!


Anna is sooo pretty!


Fire!


Mmmmmm, frosting so good



10 comments:

Samantha said...

Ohhhh...I wish I was there to celebrate with you! By the way...your boy is almost as tall as his 19 month old counter-part (The Mouse is 29 3/4 inches). Way to go!

Those darn sats...what is he thinking? I know that you must be feeling the impending surgery and all the concerns and fears that go around that, but at least you have a ton of support around you and a terrific surgeon. By the way...you need to post some pictures of him (if you have any...and then we can have a contest of who has the best looking heart surgeon). I have read all about Dr. Moga in a book that looked inside the lives of a pediatric heart surgeons. He seems to be a great one!

Thanks for your message. I have to go and get my hair done one of these days...it needs to be cut and colored, so I will do that for myself soon. I think that a nap is in order for tomorrow since I don't have to go anywhere!

I am glad that Elijah is doing so well and that he got rid of one of his lung medicines. What an amazing little boy you have!

Oh...make sure you collect your mail everyday...I have a story behind that and it ended in court! There are really mean people out there who will steal your mail!

Big, big hugs and kisses to the big one year old!

Love,
Samantha

Samantha said...

I LOVE the pictures. Thanks for posting...I am glad that Eli loved the cake! Now, that is what I am talking about!

Kathy said...

I really can't believe how much he has grown!! He looks like a big boy now! And those teeth...oh my gosh!!! And the curly hair...he is going to be SPOILED ROTTEN!!! What a cutie pie! I'm in love!!!
What are your birthday plans for the weekend?? I haven't even thought about Isaac's...you're such a good mom!!!
So...what happens if his sats go below 70?? Do they rush him into surgery or let him stay on O2 for a while?? That was exactly what we had to do for Isaac before both of his surgeries. Just wait until they got TOO low for everyone. That just stinks! I wish there was a pill that these little guys could take that would magically fix everything!
Have a fun birthday weekend ELI!!!
Hope you get LOTS OF TOYS!!!
Hugs for everyone!
Kathy

jencooper said...

That hair -- oh my goodness. I want to eat him up. It sounds like you had a terrific birthday. The sky looked so cool last night!! I am also sorry to hear about the sats. It sounds like you and I will be walking this surgery road together. I am praying for the little chunk!!

<3,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Eli! Looks like you had a great time celebrating with some cool people :-) Love the pictures, what a cutie you are! We miss you (and Mommy & Daddy too!) Hope to see you all soon.
Hugs,
Tammy

Krista said...

How cute is he! I love the pics...he just looks so happy! That is awesome. Glad you got good news as far as his weight gain and stats! As far as the O2 sats..he seems to be tolerating them great! And dropping meds...yeah! And...cow's milk...that's the best (especially on the pocket book!) Kate loved her milk! Yeah for Elijah (and mommy and daddy too for all their hard work!)

P.S. So I want to hear about this skydiving! What's up with that...how often do you do it...I want the whole scoop...you crazy woman...yeah, you too Dan!

The Portas said...

I'm calling Dr. G today because I'm really not sure what will happen if his sats are suddenly below 70. I'm hoping maybe we can get an earlier cath date?? Our doctors have never even mentioned supplemental oxygen for Elijah, so I'm guessing we wouldn't go that route. I don't know, guess we'll see!

Samantha, I want to hear your mail-court story! We have a locked mailbox, so we're kinda lazy about getting it every day.

Krista, yes, Dan and I are skydiving addicts (along with the other crazy people in these pics). I haven't been jumping much since before I got pregnant, but hopefully money will start falling from the sky and we can do it a bunch more this year.

Thanks, everyone, for all of the wonderful bday wishes. Elijah is so happy to have so much love sent his way! xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Elijah's so cute I can't stand it! Looks like frosting is his friend! I'm glad you guys had a good time and got to go out with friends!

Maybe his sats will stay put for just a little while! Please post what the doc says will happen if they do dip below 70!

Have a GREAT birthday weekend!!

~Cindy

Anonymous said...

I'm trying, Megan!! Next step is to just kidnap Micah one day!!!!
Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Elijah!!! You are such a little cutie. I know another little cutie that would love to have a playdate one of these days.

HOpe to see you before too long

Debs & the boys
xxx