Sunday, September 21, 2008

Dead tired, and waiting for hubby to come home


Elijah got to ride his horse for a bit tonight.


I pulled out the horse because I figured we needed to work on some sort of strengthening, since he REFUSES to bear weight on his legs again. ARRGgh!

I have my feet up for the first time all weekend and it feels GOOD! We did a lot of fun things this weekend. Dan worked hard at the dropzone all weekend. I think he made somewhere around 20 jumps. Elijah and I went to his little buddy Jetson's 2nd birthday party yesterday in a really nice park in Minneapolis and then we went to the dropzone to spend the night. There was a wedding celebration that some fellow skydivers were having, so that turned out to be really fun. Dan and I danced our legs off in the hangar after sunset and after Elijah was asleep. All day today I kept wondering why my legs were so sore and then I would remember the boogying. Today Elijah and I went to my cousin's wedding shower. He skipped his nap, but stayed in a pretty good mood despite that. I'm super excited for Ann Marie and Paul's wedding in a few weeks. I am so honored that she asked me to be a bridesmaid!

On our way home from the shower today, I looked back at my tired boy in the back seat and he almost looked drunk. He was drifting in and out of sleep and every once in a while he would do something funny like feel his eyelashes or stick a finger in his ear. It was really funny. I'm still giggling about it.

Here we are, at Sunday night already again. That means tomorrow is Monday, yuck. BUT! I have help now at work so it isn't as grim as it normally is. YYAAAAAAYYyyy for good help! We don't have a whole lot going on this week, so hopefully our world stays drama-free. Oh wait, we do have a little drama. We are having trouble finding daycare for Elijah this week so Dan is having to give up almost an entire week of work, which really stinks and is super inconvenient. If anyone knows of someone in the southwest metro area who would be willing to watch a sweet boy for a few days, please let us know! We will pay well! Have a great week, everyone. I'll end with an annoying conversation between me and the lady checking me out at the grocery store last week.

Grocery Lady: [looking at Elijah] No shoes?
Me: No. He isn't walking, so there's really no need yet.
GL: He isn't WALKING? How old is he?
Me: 19 months.
GL: OH!
[long pause]
GL: Why isn't he walking?
Me: He's had a few obstacles to overcome. [Biting my tongue, trying to refrain from exploding on this poor woman because I'm so tired of people asking me WHY MY SON DOESN'T WALK.]

11 comments:

jencooper said...

Sorry - I am behind again!! Ugh - it is never ending. I am so happy to hear that you had a great weekend. I love dancing...but the hubby....not so much.

Don't you just want to go off on people sometimes?? I know EXACTLY what you mean!

<3,
Jennifer

Ehlan said...

Glad you had a great weekend!

Seriously-I get it when people don't keep their mouths shut. I think you should have told her exactly what happened, maybe she would have kept her mouth shut next time!

ThePicks said...

Sorry you had to deal with the insensitive, snoopy grocery lady. It's none of her business anyhow.

I know how much you and dan enjoy dancing; glad you guys got a chance to dance the night away saturday evening! Good way to unwind a bit.

Love,
The RA

Tina:0) said...

Sounds like you had a good time:0)! I don't think I could get Jon to dance unless I drug him heavily (lol)!

You did a lot better than I would have with the grocery clerk! We get quite a few looks & questions especially with Vaeh having the O2 on. I just want to say to people "she's had 3 open hearts, so I guess I'm just happy that she's alive! I'll worry about her walking later!" He's doing great, Momma! Keep up the great work - he'll get there soon!

Give that little man some smooches for me!

my life: said...

Gracie didn't walk till just before she turned two....LOTS of people (therapists doctors)said..."that's not too delayed." If that's any comfort! Also, with the weight bearing...I think you will see a huge difference soon. (I feel it) :0)

As for child care....bring him on over! ;0) Free of charge!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Portas!

Glad to hear you have had a good weekend, and a good week! I love all the photos and stories. What a happy boy!

Errrrr, go away snoopy Grocery Lady! Some people just don't know when to can it.

I will be curious to see other commenters' suggestions on how to respond to this kind of thing. I could use some help myself. Next time someone asks about Wilson, and why he isn't doing something or other, I am so tempted so say, in a hushed voice, "He was abducted by aliens. We're hoping he'll recover someday." That would hush their mouths, I bet.

Amy, Mitch & Wilson

Kathy said...

I wish you lived closer..I'd watch your little chubster!

Dancing...oh, the memories. We're just too old now...our legs would fall off!

AND...people always ask about Isaac and his "no shoes" also...or why I let him eat his shoes! I never tell them why...just make them look stupid for asking!

ANd..one more thing. About your previous post and your speech therapists "concern" for Elijah's lack of speech. Just wanted to remind you that Isaac doesn't EVEN babble yet...NOT ONE SOUND. He just giggles, cries, and growls...that's it. And our therapist isn't "concerned"...he said that we just have to be patient...you can't rush it, only keep talking to them and one day it will just click! (so, my goals for Isaac are to:
crawl by xmas (he'll be almost 2 then)
walk by his third birthday
talk before kindergarten...
and somewhere in there...please potty train!!! (that one freaks me out the most!!!)

Anyway...don't be bummed out about his talking. You know what he wants..so, he doesn't have to talk now. At least he knows all the pictures that she showed him (Isaac wouldn't come close to passing a test like that)...and Elijah's amazing with the animal sounds (Isaac...once again doesn't even differentiate between the animals to even know the sounds)...Gosh...should I be freaked out??
NO...They are alive...and that's all that matters!!!

love on that chubster for me!!!!

good luck this week with daycare!
love,
kathy

Samantha said...

Okay, my response to rude people like this..."If you had had open heart surgery when you were 3 days old (fill in the blank for all E's surgeries) you probably would not be so big/walking/talking/etc. would you?" The person typically shuts up and looks dumb. I don't get the judgmental attitude that people have when kids are "not" up to their standards! UG! Okay, my blood pressure is rising!

I am glad you had an awesome weekend. What fun! Dancing the night away...cute!

Why don't you just send Elijah down here and I will watch him for you...after you have three one more makes no more difference. He and Micah can fight over the food that Micah seems to be eating all day long :)

Many hugs to you all!

Love,
Samantha

Tracy said...

Gesh, some people just don't realize that some things are just none of their business - how rude of her. A better things for her to say would be how incredibly adorable he is and leave her inappropriate comments to herself.

Ann(ie) said...

Boogying is FUN! 8)

And sometimes I wish people would shut the hell up from time to time! feh.

Jane said...

Ramona was wearing her orthotics at a water playground (because she does not walk well without them). The lifeguard asked me if she had permission to wear them in the pool. I said yes. Then she said, right in front of Ramona and Simon, "What's wrong with her?". I was appalled. I said, "There's nothing WRONG with her, she just needs these to walk safely." I then spun around and walked away so I wouldn't burst into tears, or commit a class b felony.

I feel ya.