Friday, September 19, 2008

Good good week



I can't remember a week that I've felt more peaceful and happy. I think it was a combination of a bunch of things that made it such a nice week. My improved work situation has a lot to do with it. We also had a lot of Daddy-Mommy-Elijah time in the evenings, which I love. The weather was great, too, and I try to soak that in as much as possible because we never know what we're going to get in Minnesota.


Clapping hands!

Thursday we took Elijah to his speech evaluation. It was nice because "evaluating" him was really just interacting and playing with him. He did ok. He is behind, as we knew he was, but he is doing fine. He actually passed a lot of the tests that were presented to him. He knows most object names (tree, pants, foot, kitty, ears, etc..) but had a hard time with verbs. He couldn't point out what "running" was or "eating," etc. The thing the speech therapist was most concerned about (and she kept using that word, CONCERNED) was the limited consonant sounds that Elijah makes and the fact that he doesn't have any "real" words yet. These are things we will work on with him. We will get all caught up! I'm not super worried about it (surprisingly).


I love this picture because it shows his JUICY NECK. I could honestly kiss on that soft, chubby neck all day long if he let me.

Today Dan had to work at the dropzone and I of course had to be at work all day. We have been having problems finding daycare for Elijah on Fridays, so we were in a serious bind today. I asked my friend Cara, who happened to have the day free, if she could watch Elijah for a few hours and, thank goodness, she said yes! THANK YOU, CARA! You totally saved us today. We appreciate you giving up your day for us. It was so cute because when I got home from work Elijah and Cara were all snuggled up in the LoveSac together. Sooo sweet.



Still no crawling! I believe this means that Mitch wins the Crawling Contest! Mitch, look in the mail for a little treat from the Portas! :) I think Elijah just likes to tease me with it. It will happen when it happens. But when it happens, it will be a big day! All you people in other parts of the country, you will hear my squeals! We are continuing to work on standing. Some days he is willing to stand, some days he isn't at all. We are making progress, though, so that is all I care about right now.


Mama! I'm in the middle of checking out my hands.

The strange bumps he had on his body are all gone. The balloon suggestion I got from a few of you was a good one. I hadn't thought of that. His balloon "died" quite a while before the bumps came, though, so I don't think that was the cause. I really have no idea what was going on.


I love that beautiful face

We have quite the busy weekend ahead of us. We have a lot of fun things going on, and minus a few hours when I will be at my cute cousin Ann Marie's wedding shower on Sunday, I will have my little man by my side the entire time. My little weekend sidekick. I love that kid. Thanks for checking in with us, and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! xooxox


This is the happy look he gives me when his favorite show, Super Why, comes on.

9 comments:

mina said...

Megan, we were on the verge of getting Bilal's speech evaluated; he didn't say anything that made any sense, but just before he turned 2, boom! Now he is making full sentences. He didn't even say 'mama' until after he turned 18 months. On one hand, Elijah might just need a little more time. On the other hand, there is definitely something to be said about early intervention.

He looks adorable as always in the new photos!

Andrea said...

I just love this post! It's full of positivity! I can practically see the smile on your face through your words. I'm glad you've had such a good week and I hope next week is just as good!

my life: said...

Oh my land....He is such a cutie! I love the profile...it shows those lovely curls!!! Yummy..
So glad you had a great week...Hoping you have an amazing weekend!

Unknown said...

What a positive post! I'm so happy things are going so well. It's great your getting Elijah into speech therapy.

Thanks for the suggestion on foods. Unfortunatly, Arianna refuses to eat bread of any kind, even tortillas. She has issues with textures of certain foods and always had...one being anything spreadable or melted cheese. She totally freaks out! I keep hoping the day will come when she magically starts eating more and all our eating issues are behind us.

Take care,

Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Megan - I LOVE all the new photos. Seriously too cute to handle. Glad to hear things are going well. Missing you!!

-Terri

Tina:0) said...

What a nubby guy! You need to save some for us to kiss on!!!

I agree with Mina, great for early intervention but sometimes those therapists get to 'text book'. Meaning that this is what the books say, so this is what he should do. He's his own person, an individual & he will start gabbing your ears off when he's ready! Vaeh didn't really start her talking until after her last surgery & she was 20 months at the time of surgery! The other thing is that she's been seeing a speech therapits since she was just a few months old (feeding) but no concern has been voiced about her communication skills! Don't worry, he'll get it! Just keep doing what your doing - a great job, btw!

Give him big smooches from me!

The Willaerts said...

Everyone - He's even more cute and delightful in person!!!

Thank you guys for sharing your sweet little man with me! It was/is my pleasure to spend any amount of time with him! He is just so precious! I'm honored that you would even think to ask me and trust me to take care of your pride and joy!
Cara

Tracy said...

Oh my gosh, he is such a sweetheart! Good that you saw a speach therapist, but I'm sure he will catch up with his speech before you know it.

Ann(ie) said...

THAT is one beautiful face. Lawd he's beautiful girl!!!!! xo.