Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Random things

- Tomorrow is Elijah's 2-week post-surgery follow-up with urology. He will get his shunt removed and hopefully that will be the last time we'll need to see urology ever again! (Thankfully it is the doctors we like the least that we'll be able to ditch and the ones we like the most that we'll keep forever.)

- He seems to be getting another little cold. We're praying for a SMALL cold, and for this sickness crap to be over with soon. It's summer! What in the world is winter going to be like?

- For the past week or two, when I put him down in his crib to go to sleep he grabs his favorite blankie and scrunches it up into a ball and then lays himself on top of it. Then he smiles up at me like, This is the best, Mama! I'm sooo comfy! He is an absolute angel sleeper. He never fusses and he doesn't make a peep for 12 straight hours.

- He is such a sweet, lovey boy. When I get home from work, it is obvious that he wants to be physically close to me for a bit. He sits in my lap facing me and we "talk" for a good 10-15 minutes before he starts pointing at his trucks. He has even started putting his arms around my neck and pulling me close to him, like he wants me to hug him. Any time, sweet boy, any time.

- I didn't think he could possibly eat any better, but I was wrong! He can fit SO MUCH food in that belly! Sometimes I wonder if I should stop feeding him, even though he keeps opening his mouth up like a starving little birdy. He has been eating practically everything we offer him. All kinds of veggies, fruit, meat, everything. Mealtimes are rarely stressful these days and it is so lovely. He is even drinking milk again (with a little strawberry syrup help)!

- His development is really blossoming in all areas. He points to EVERYTHING and wants you to tell him what each thing is. He listens very closely. If I go through a book and tell him what each thing in the pictures is called, he can usually go back and point everything out by himself when I ask him to. He is finally starting to use his legs a little bit more, and I know I've been saying this for a month now, but he is on the verge of crawling. He's attempting to mimic a few of the words we say, even though they are definitely a unique interpretation of what the word really sounds like. It's very cute, though, and it's a positive sign of language development.

- We are hoping to get him into physical therapy twice/week from two different places to get him as much help with his gross motor development as possible. We will have to get insurance approval (of course), and then we will have to see if Dan and I can find two consistent days/times every week to make this happen.

- Cardiology check-up is next Thursday. It will be almost FIVE months since heart surgery. Wow! We were told at his last visit to expect another heart cath in October (yuck!), but other than that, we're expecting a positive report next week. We really have no reason to believe it will be anything but that.

8 comments:

The Willaerts said...

Wow! Every time I read your updates I think miracles do happen in today's day and age. Elijah gives me such hope for life. With prayer and hard work anythings possible!

ThePicks said...

Great update! He is such a handsome little guy, you're going to be fending off the little girls pretty soon so get ready for all of that! Hope all the upcoming medical stuff goes well; he'll be crawling and walking in no time. After all, everyone has their own pace!

LOL,
The RA

Kathy said...

OH Elijah...I'm SO proud of you!
What a BIG boy you've turned into!
You're going to have a buy him a toddler bed before you know it Megan! I can't get over how fast he's progressing. Amazing what a "fixed" heart can do for you!!!

Snuggle hard on that cutie pie!
Kiss him lots for us!!!

Thanks for the post...they always make me smile!
love,
kathy

mina said...

What a wonderful post! I love hearing about your mommy time with Elijah. I know how hard it is when you work and have to squeeze as much loving as possible into a short period of time. Elijah is obviously a special little guy and he is blessed with a wonderful mommy. Wow, I can't believe I've been following your blog for 5 months now! Good luck with all the appointments.

Krista said...

He is doing great...what an awesome report! Just wait...seriously, not to bum you out...but you'll be taking that 1st day of preschool picture before you know it!

I agree with the colds...it is summer...and like sickening hot! What's up with that?

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the great update, I am so glad he is doing good. Keep it up:)
Lots of hugs Karen

Tina:0) said...

Yay for Eiljah!! He's growing into such a little man! I agree with Krista, you'll be taking first day of school pictures sooner than you think!

Give that little guy some smooches from us!

Tina & Vaeh:0)

Unknown said...

I am so jealous....sleeps 12 hours straight no problem. He needs to teach Arianna how to do that. She is making one of us hold her all night long since she's been sick. And when she's not sick she is up at least 3 times a night. Urgh! I would love to put her to sleep and walk away knowing she won't wake up.

And the eating...seriously..you need to bring that little man over and show Arianna how it's done. It must be great not having to worry about his weight and how much he eats. So funny...I think your the first heart mom I've known that commented on taking food away. LOL!

He truly is a miracle baby. I'm so happy to hear all this good progress with Mr. Elijah. Keep up the good work.