Thursday, September 4, 2008

Good stuff today


Brushing his teeth before bed

Elijah's urology appointment went really well today. Well, most of it went well. The waiting room in that clinic is always insanely crowded and the wait to get in to see the doctor is always horrendous. Once we got in, the nice nurse talked us through what she was going to do and asked us questions about his recovery in the past two weeks. When it came time for me to lay Elijah on the table to get the stitch and shunt removed, he knew right away that something was going on. He latched himself around my neck (ooohhhh, this breaks my heart!) and started to scream. I got him on the table but he still had my hair in his hands and he refused to let go. Poor kid, so traumatized by doctors and nurses and medical-hospital crap. The nurse got everything removed pretty quickly and then he was fine. He had some residual whimpering and crying, but it didn't take him too long to recover.


Your turn, Mama!

Dr. R stuck his head in to peek at things and said everything looked great! The surgery was a success and everything is healing up nicely. He still has swelling and a little bit of bruising and has acquired a yeast infection from the Bacitracin we've been covering him with. Other than that, it couldn't be any better! YAY! We haven't given him a proper bath since before his surgery since getting stuff into his shunt could be painful and dangerous. Dan gave him a bath this afternoon and he looked like a brand new baby afterwards. We have a follow-up with urology in 4 weeks (not rid of them yet) and then probably another follow-up in 6 months.

It feels so great to have this behind us. Another thing checked off the list. Thank you, GOD!


I wanted to share a cute new thing Elijah has been doing lately. He has a gigantic Baby Einstein book that he loves to look at and one of the pages in it has a bedroom scene with a little boy going to bed and all of his toys are lying on the floor and on his bed. There is a little toy rocket on his floor, amongst many other things. Elijah CONSTANTLY turns to that page and points repeatedly to that rocket and looks up at me with an excited grin. I say, "Yes, rocket!" and then he points to the telescope. Back and forth between the two things, as if there aren't 30 different things on the page to point at. Astronaut? Pilot? Hmmmmm.....

A friend of Dan's is over tonight, so Dan is grilling up some yummmmmy spicy chicken and potatoes. I think I'll go gobble some up and then come back upstairs and watch a movie so they can have some boy time. Plus, I'm not too interested in watching tennis. Right now they are having an argument about Roger Federer. Dan is saying how he isn't American and how he might beat the AMERICAN Pete Sampras' record, and how that is anti-American. Dan's friend replied with, "Well? Jesus wasn't American!" :) After much back and forth discussion about this, I just heard Dan say, "I divorce you!" and his friend said, "You know what? Relationships end!" I think I'll stay upstairs.

11 comments:

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

Yeahhh for a good f/u appointment!

Kathy said...

Nothing is better than checking off THE LIST!!! YEAH Elijah!!

He's as cute as ever...and already brushing his teeth..you're so good!

Thanks for the update...as always...they make me smile!

love,
kathy

Tina:0) said...

Woohoo! Great news about the appointment! Way to go Elijah! AND brushing his teeth?! Vaeh still likes to let me do her's!

I like your idea of staying out of the 'testosterone nest'! Better to steer clear!

Hope you guys are having a good week! Smoochy-moochy those cheeks for me!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear the appointment went well. One more thing to check off your list! Waahoo!

And about Dan...well...boys will be boys. :) LOL!

Sarah said...

Nothing like after a hospital stay (for whatever reason) getting the okay to give that first real bath. It's almost like washing all of that away and I always feel so much better about things - isn't that silly??? Hooray for this almost being behind you guys.

il Dan said...

My friend and I were certainly arguing in jest, but for all you tennis fans out there it still is totally unpatriotic to want the Swiss Federer to beat the great Sampras!

ps. I may or may not be kidding about all of this.

pps. Megan is so Hot, pray for her as she has to deal with my constant smooching/groping...sometimes in public.

Tracy said...

Glad his appointment went well (except for him crying :(. Poor guy - it's hard for moms to see their babes so upset :(.).

Pics are cute, with his toothbrush :).

Tiffers said...

Very glad to hear everything is great with recovery. It is nice to hear a doctor say, okay we'll see you in a year! Watch out for that toothbrush. We find ours all over the house, or H likes to offer it to Bella (our dog). He is too cute.

tiffany

jencooper said...

Man - are you lucky to have a guy like Dan! I just wish that Craig would tell me that I look nice every ONCE in a while!

Elijah is certainly ADORABLE...as always. He is such a cutie. I am so happy to hear that things went well at the doctor. That is always such a good feeling!!

<3,
Jennifer

Samantha said...

Megan...I am so glad that you were able to check something else off your list. Your little boy is so cute...and the love that Dan has for you is just the sweetest thing ever...every now and then I will hear "you look nice" but that hubby of yours cannot seem to stop!!!

Enjoy that beautiful family this weekend.

Much love,
Samantha

Colin's Blog said...

Yeah for a good urology appt!! It's great to eliminate doctors!! Hope the rest of the weekend was fun and relaxing for all of you. Elijah is still just as cute as ever.

Love,
The Domanicos