Saturday, September 13, 2008

Goodness


Chewing on a cheese stick and crossing his legs. That's our boy!

Today was a rainy day, so Dan was able to come home from the dropzone early and spend the afternoon with us. We always love having Daddy at home! We have had a really good day, and a good week overall. Elijah has done a lot of fun new things this week that we have clapped and cheered about endlessly.


He was fascinated with the rain. He stared out the window for a long time, just checking it all out.


I asked him where the rain was and he pointed at the window. He points at everything these days.

For some reason, he has never been interested in clapping. He has been banging blocks and toys together for many many months, and that is basically the same motion as clapping, but he has never clapped his actual hands together. The other night at dinner, he just decided he wanted to start clapping. I squealed so loud I'm pretty sure the neighbors covered their ears. Elijah is clapping!

Then, at the same meal, I thought...you know, I have been trying to get this kid to feed himself with a spoon for so long, I'm going to see if it will happen right now, as long as we're on a roll. Maybe it was the clapping that motivated me. I put some food on a spoon and handed it to him, and he fed himself! More annoying squealing came out of my mouth.

Then later that day, Dan and I were sitting with Elijah in the living room as he played with his trucks. We have been practising animal sounds repeatedly for months. Elijah was on his hands and knees, looking at us, and I said, "Elijah, what does an elephant say?" He thought for a second and then did an ARRRRRrrrr noise and at the same time lifted his arm up, like the trunk. Again, we cheered like crazy people.

Today I noticed that he is saying the word "up." It sounds more like "uf," but it's great!

He has a little toy Noah's ark boat that has animals that go inside. He knows every single animal and every sound that each animal makes. He retains things so well. I'm so proud of him.

Along these lines, we have managed to work things out so he can be in PT and OT twice a week, at two separate places. I really want to give him every chance possible to improve his skills. The lady who evaluated him this week thought that it would be a good idea to get him on the waiting list for speech therapy, too. She said it is a pretty long wait, though, and not to expect anything. Well, we got a call on Thursday and there is an opening on Thursdays for us. How exciting! I am so happy about this.


I figured out a sneaky trick today. If I turn on one of his favorite shows, he will stand up in front of me for at least 10 minutes. It is enough distraction to keep him from caring. GO ELIJAH! You are using your legs!

The chunky little man is in bed and Dan and I are going to watch a scary movie. I get to watch my husband scream like a scared little girl, yay! :) (Really, he does.) Thanks, everyone, for the comments about the mystery bumps. Based on all of your info, I have made a mommy diagnosis of allergies. There is something he is allergic to, I just don't know what it is yet. I guess we'll start eliminating things from his diet to figure it out.






Do you like the blue socks? He looks like an old man.


Pretty sure his back molars are coming in because he has been chewing on his entire hand all day. Oh, and look at that beautiful face.

17 comments:

The Portas said...

OH THE LIES! I most certainly do NOT scream during movies. If the truth be told Megan is the one who yelps (especially in theaters). Granted there is one time that I yelped during a movie, although it was more like a manly growl of surprise than a girly scream.

Falsely-Accused Husband, Dan

ps. I don't mind suspenseful, I just don't like the freaky, evil, gory movies.

pps. If you think I won't be using this scary movie tonight to get some good cuddling/groping in on my gorgeous wife you are soooo wrong.

Tina:0) said...

Yes, he has a beautiful face! Yaay for Elijah with all of your new things! Was that a crawl I saw in one of the pictures?! Not to mention, do I see my curls returning?!

Hope you enjoy your scary movie - screams & all! Have a great weekend & give that little man some smooches from me!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you for sharing your little man with me yesterday. He is such a sweet spirit! I'm more in love with him now than I was! Too bad he's so much younger than Jade! hee, hee.:)
It so great to know of all the progress and to know that you guys are enjoying every little milestone! So great!

Sorry Dan you look like a screamer to me!

Thanks also for posting on my site - such a great supporter! Have a good weekend!

Cara

jencooper said...

WoW!!! Elijah is doing some amazing things!! I am so proud of all the strides that he is making. Way to go buddy!!

I hope that you are enjoying your date night!!

<3,
Jennifer

my life: said...

Thank you!!! I loved all the pictures....totally getting my fix of that cutie pie!!!! The curls are returning.....YAY.

Do you still have everyone's guesses on crawling? I have a feeling it's not far off....

What movie did you watch???? We are always looking for good ones...

Kathy said...

That little man is amazing!

He's going to be a wild man when he starts crawling! I don't know though...he's standing pretty good, maybe he'll just start walking for you! Ten minutes...I can't believe it...I can't even get 1 second!!!
Smoochy moochy on that little man...
hope you guys enjoy movie night! Protect Dan from the scary monsters!!!
love,
kathy

Unknown said...

You two just crack me up!

I have to agree with Tina...is that a crawl?

I had the biggest smile on my face reading this entire post. I am so proud of all Elijah is doing. Using the legs...that is HUGE!!! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

nice socks, those must be Dan's! Love seeing pics of Elijah growing up. I love the internet! Hoping for another great week for you guys. Love always, Kendis

Mami Adame said...

LOVE the overalls! Yay! for Elijah...good job making mommy squeal so much! Hope you guys had a really nice date/cuddling/groping/scary movie night! ;)

Samantha said...

He is growing up!!! What a big boy now! He will be walking soon...he is getting good practice in with all that standing! I can hear the applause all the way down here :)

Keep up the great work and I hope you had a fantastic Sunday!

All the pictures are just as adorable as ever...he is SO CUTE!!!!!!

Much love,
Samantha

Anonymous said...

Look at all those amazing things that little guy is doing!! That is so awesome - not to mention stinkin' cute :-D

Anonymous said...

OK, 2 things: 1) your husband is quite the funny man. You both must be so much to hang out with...and
2) Yay, Elijah!!! This is some great progress that he's showing. I'm sure the additional therapy will help him even more.

Anonymous said...

Megan
you don't know me, I'm a nurse in Fargo that took care of the yoder twins, and Katie talked about your little guy, so have been following your blog, love it, the rash could be from his beloved balloon, have you noticed the bumps more after he has played with it?,

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo Elijah! Look at all the new things you're doing now! I'm so proud of you and am clapping right along with you!

Glad you guys had a great bonding weekend and I hope Dan was able to keep his manhood in tact by not squealing tooo much during the movie!! ;)

Love ya!!

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Maybe the bumps are from the red balloon...????

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear Elijah is doing great. What a big Boy! and he is a cutie. I want to say thanks for all your support, I really appreciate it. Lots of hugs Karen

Samantha said...

Okay...Megan...you are NOT allowed to go FIVE days with no updates...we need our Elijah fix :)

Love ya!
Samantha