Sunday, September 20, 2009

Another beautiful September weekend

I can't get my camera to work and if you know me, this is upsetting! So, sorry, I have no photos from our weekend to share. It must get boring hearing me basically say the same things every weekend (Dan is working, Elijah and I are chillin', blah blah), so I'll do this post in a different format.

Funny
Elijah thinks it's hilarious to act like he's my tiny little baby. He says "BABY!" and then crawls into my arms so I can rock him and talk baby talk to him. Silly boy.

I realized this weekend that most of the time when Elijah is reading a book, he reads it upside down in his lap as if he is reading it to an audience.

Sad
I decided we would go swimming this morning. Elijah was so excited about it that he yelled "POOL!!!!" repeatedly the entire way to the community center. We got there to find out that the pool didn't open for another two hours. The look on his face as we walked back out was absolutely heartbreaking. I sat down on a bench outside with him and cried sad tears into his little shoulder as he cried into mine. I adore seeing him excited and happy more than anything, and it was more heart-wrenching than I could have ever imagined to see him so sad and let down. I decided to go back in and find something else for us to do. We settled for playing in the toddler play area for an hour and a half. It didn't quite fill the spot of the pool, but it was better than heading straight back home.

Exciting
Listening to our Sounds Like Fun cd this morning, I realized that Elijah was singing along with the songs and saying a lot of the words correctly. Even the "uno, dos y tres!" song. :) Who knew?!

His language is absolutely exploding right now. He is saying words today that he literally wasn't saying on Friday. Some of his new words/phrases from the weekend: silly boy (see boy), candy bar (key bar), smoke alarm (soke ahm), dropzone (opzo), bye bye store (bye bye door), square (share), circle (cirshle), clean up (een up). THIS IS SO EXCITING!!

Clean-Up time is fun for Elijah. We'll see how long this lasts!

I got a good amount of cleaning done this weekend. Laundry is all caught up and Dan's and my room, which was previously a war zone, now looks semi-livable.


Another low-key week lies ahead of us. I plan to soak it all in because October is going to be a busy month. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!!

6 comments:

Cecilia said...

It is wonderful to hear that Elijah's language is exploding currently.

I hope your niece Emma feels better now.

Have a nice week!

Ehlan said...

Glad it was a good weekend! And that you got a lot done--that always makes me feel good!

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear him talking so much more that is so awesome.

Logan is the same way he loves clean up time all you have to do is sing the clean up song and he starts scooting everywhere to pick up toys.

I love low key weeks, enjoy yours :)

jennifer said...

I think it's so sweet that you cry with you son. But, I'm glad you both found something else to do so that you didn't have to cry anymore :). It's encouraging to hear that Elijah's language is exploding. It seems the therapy helped him with pronouncing the first sounds of the words. Justin is starting speech therapy this coming week (I hope). I hope you'll have a wonderful week!

mina said...

Talk about mixed emotions!

Hope the camera fixes itself soon!

Kathy said...

you almost made me cry.

Elijah is just so darn smart....
I can only picture him acting like a baby...you'll have to get Dan to videotape that one and post it!!!

hug that sweet pea for me!