Thursday, September 24, 2009

Grace

2009 is not yet over, but with almost nine months of the year behind us I feel comfortable saying that it has been a really good year for our family. Elijah has gone through some exciting developmental growth spurts (we're in the midst of the biggest one right now), he has had a nice break from heart surgeries, Dan has been able to find more summer work than ever before, we have been able to spend time with family and we had a busy, active, fulfilling summer.

During this lovely reprieve from stress, I have had the chance to dedicate some extra energy to praying for others and while doing that, I have also been able to observe and reflect on the way people handle hardship. Since we have gotten to be pretty good friends with Adversity during the past few years, it is suddenly very interesting to me to watch how differently people respond to it.

Some people handle adversity with total grace that surpasses comprehension. Others respond with a deep anger at (fill in the blank, but mostly with) God, and then they lash out at the world while sinking into the depths of despair. Of course there are other ways people deal with it, but these seem to be the two extremes.

It saddens me to see the extreme negative reaction from people because this is the total opposite of what God wants! I believe that we are given challenges in our lives as an opportunity to get closer to HIM (which subsequently leads to other cool things like character-building and maturity). I really truly believe this, more than I ever have before.

This is one of my two favorite verses that sort of embodies what life has been about for us for the past few years (the other being Hebrews 11:1)..

James 1:2-4 -- Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.


Granted, while in the thick of things here and there over the past few years, this has been a hard thing for me to remember 100% of the time. There were most definitely times when I wanted to throw everything aside and start freaking out and yelling at God and anyone nearby. Luckily I have a God who will never leave me even when I'm in despair. His promises will always be there and I WILL ALWAYS KNOW THIS.

James 1:12 -- Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

It takes a huge leap of faith to embrace our trials, but when we do, we are blessed! This is a concept I would not have been able to understand ten years ago, or even five years ago. I am so happy to know this in my heart today. It makes me feel like maybe I understand a tiny fraction of what I'm meant to learn during my existence in this crazy world. It lets me know that there is purpose in the pain.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Not always easy but I'm so thankful to have an understanding God when I struggle. A favorite song of mine right now - "everyone needs compassion - the kindness of a Saviour, let mercy fall on me."

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

Oh Wow! What timing! Our small group studied James 1:1-11 last night. Very powerful and really makes you stop and realize that even through what WE believe are the worst situations and trials, there IS a greater purpose. WE just need to stop and ask ourselves "how can I use this experience to glorify God and grow stronger in my faith.".

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post, Meg. It truly touched my heart and I feel compelled to share a portion of it with someone in my family who is really struggling these days...I hope you don't mind.

Much love to you and your beautiful family! xoxo

Deb

Ehlan said...

Thank you for sharing!!

my life: said...

I'm thinking you and I are totally on the same page right now. My post was oddly similar....

Andrea said...

Beautiful post! Another blessing of having a child born with CHD, perseverance!

Cecilia said...

Bless you and your family!

Thanks for posting!

Unknown said...

What beautiful scriptures! Thank you for sharing.