Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Croup: Season 2, Round 4.1

This has never happened before, but Elijah woke up for the second night in a row with croup. Early this morning, Dan took Elijah outside into the cold air to open up his constricted airway (it wasn't quite as bad as the previous night). Another round of steroids and another epi neb later, we sent him off to daycare. Dan's work has been really slow this year, so we just could not give up the full day he had scheduled. We absolutely love and trust E's daycare provider, and we knew if our little boy needed us she would have called! (She didn't have to, and he had a good day, thank goodness.)

Now, Croup, you can grab your annoying friend, Cough, by the ears and take a hike!


p.s. Proof that I'm tired and that croup has taken over my brain.. As I was pulling out of the driveway to go to work in the dark, early-morning hours, I thought I saw a silhouette of our neighbor standing in front of her garage in her pajamas. These are the thoughts that went through my head: "Oh, someone must have croup, that's too bad. Wait a second, she doesn't have children, and...there isn't even anyone standing there. Geez, I'm going crazy."

p.p.s. For those of you who have asked about asthma, E's pediatrician diagnosed him with childhood asthma when he was a baby (because of the whistling/squeaking that occurred when he breathed), but his pulmonologist has never mentioned anything about asthma to us. He considers croup to be a "childhood illness," and some kids are just predisposed to getting it. Perhaps kids with asthma are more prone to catching croup? It's worth looking into, especially with Elijah's tendency to have chronic coughs. I'll bring it up the next time we see Dr. K, which may happen sooner than anticipated.

7 comments:

ThePicks said...

Uh, oh - you're seeing invisible people on the way to work - you do need more sleep! Hope this croup business does not rear its ugly head on a regular basis. Bet you're enjoying having your well-groomed hubby back!!!

Cecilia said...

Glad to know Elijah is better now. No more croup and cough episodes in the future.

Take good care of yourselves and relax!!!

jencooper said...

The Nasonex and Advair inhaler have done WONDERS with Gracie's chronic cough...and I would have never thought her to have asthma. She has been a different child since we started her on those meds. Just a thought....

Hope Elijah starts feeling better very soon!!

Tina:0) said...

Poor guy (& Momma & Daddy:0( ) Hope you all are able to get some rest soon!!

The Smith's said...

Go away croup! Pregnant mama and groomed daddy need some REST!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the info. I really hope he gets to feeling better soon, It is so sad to hear that Elijah is not feeling well.

You also get some rest, I hope your pregnancy is going smoothly.

my life: said...

Now see...I do weird things like that ALL of the time and don't have sleep deprivation to blame!
That had me laughing outloud...it is definitely something I have done! :0)
Sweet baby...get better! Don't make me bring my resp meds to your neck of the woods! ;0)