Monday, May 5, 2008

Another good day


Yeah. That's my cool scar (and my giant belly)!


Kung fu moves


Happy baby


SOOooooooo big!!

It was another BEAUTIFUL day here in Minnesota. It's about time. There was such a change in moods here in the Porta household. As I said in my last post, it has been a LONG winter on many different levels for us, so this nice weather is such a welcome change. It's hard to believe that three weeks ago I was a total wreck because my baby's heart was making him very sick and I was anticipating something bad happening every second of the day. Now we have a beautifully healthy, spunky boy who is doing new things every day (besides napping).

Elijah now says "Mama" and "Baba" (Dada) discriminately and we are working on "ball." He now does the SO BIG motions with his hands when we say, "How big is Elijah?" He does the sign for ALL DONE and MILK and he is working on BIRDY. It's so cute because whenever he is in a situation he doesn't like, he will do the sign for ALL DONE feverishly, over and over. The other day he was sitting on the bed in the loft and he pulled on a toy too hard and fell backwards onto the bed. He startled himself but didn't cry. He started signing ALL DONE as if to say, "I don't like this! What just happened?!" He has so many new, cute faces that he makes that Dan and I laugh at constantly. Things just seem to be clicking much more now than they did before surgery. His fixed heart has changed him! He is a new man and he's ready to take on the world.

I sometimes forget how complex his recent heart surgery was. I keep hearing Dr. Moga's voice in my head saying, "This is a VERY good outcome to a VERY difficult problem." He had a whole lot of major things done to his heart in this last surgery and he really could not have had a better outcome. We feel so fortunate. Elijah is an amazing, strong little boy.

I worked from home again today so I didn't get to enjoy the nice weather much, but Dan and Elijah got out for a bit. I'm back at work tomorrow through Thursday and then early Friday morning Dan and I are headed to FLORIDA! I'm excited but nervous. I have mixed feelings. I need to let it go and have a great time at Mike and Julie's wedding and release some of the tension that has built up over the past few months. It'll be good.

Thanks for checking in on us. We love you all so much! Elijah says, "BaambababbababMAMAMAmamammmamamaBamba!" which translates to: thank you for all the prayers, you are all wonderful!!

15 comments:

ThePicks said...

Hey Porta Clan,

We're delighted to catch up on all Elijah's good news and to hear you are able to get away to attend Mike and Julie's wedding. We miss you guys!

Love,
The RA

Anonymous said...

It's awesome to read the good news. Hey, won't the Florida trip be a little anniversary present for you guys as well? You deserve it, it's great you can go.

luv, Kendis

Tina:0) said...

He looks so intimidating with those kung fu moves! As if to say "don't make me hurt you!" He looks the picture of health & absolutely adorable!

Thank you so much for your uplifting comments on Vaeh's blog! It brings a smile to my face everytime I read your comments! Don't worry, we're keeping the faith & knowing that Vaeh wasn't supposed to be up there this week for whatever reason!

By the way, thanks for your phone number! What a generous thing for you to do! I'm sure I'll use it, too!

Thanks again for all of you prayers! We appreciate them all!

Love,
Tina:0) & Vaeh, too!

jencooper said...

He looks amazing! His scar looks awesome....and I want to come and munch on his tummy!

I am so happy to hear that things are falling into place for you. I hope that you have an amazing week!!

<3,
jen

Samantha said...

My goodness...this surgery was a good thing for him! Look at how wonderful he looks...there is a whole new brightness in those gorgeous eyes! He is such an amazing little boy! Way to go on all the new words and signs! Before you know it he will be holding entire conversations with you guys! I love how he does "all done" all the time...he must get that from Micah...we do that here all the time too...though Elijah's way sounds way cuter!!!

I am so happy that you still have nice weather...you need it...and just think, you will get beach weather this weekend...that will be very relaxing (only call to check on him 20 times a day :)) You deserve a break and Elijah is in great hands...you and Dan go and enjoy yourselves!

Lots of love,
Samantha

Anonymous said...

Look at that belly! Love it!! He looks so happy...life must be so much more fun in the Porta household these days!

Hope the weather in MN realizes it's May now and will STAY nice for you guys for quite awhile!!

Have a great day!

Love,

Cindy

Ehlan said...

I'm so glad he's doing so well! Isn't it amazing to see him blossom and grow? Go Elijah! And keep enjoying the beautiful weather! We sure are!

Anonymous said...

It's so wonderful to see him smiling, showing off his surgery scars with pride! He is amazing and so are his parents.

Enjoy Florida. Enjoy knowing your boy is safe and sound with his wonderful auntie. You both deserve to relax and spend time as husband and wife.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Portas,
LOVE the pictures! Not only do you have the best little boy, you have the handsome-est! So happy and thankful for all of you. Next comes crawling, pulling up, and walking, and it probably won't be long.
Love Julie and Virg

Ann(ie) said...

Your little man is destined for great things you know. What a massive hurdle and incredible progress he's making!!! Ben still WON'T say mama. I know he's tormenting me. He'll say many other words the turkey. =P

Kathy said...

Cutie pie as ALWAYS!!!
I love that belly...you could just rub it and make a wish on it!!!
Have fun in Florida and tell your sister to update the blog for us with LOTS of pics!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Lots of love,
Kathy

Colin's Blog said...

So happy to hear that Elijah is doing so well! He looks great and cute as always!! Keep up the good work Elijah!!

The Domanicos

Megan said...

What a cute little guy!! Just stopping by to say hi. I am mom of a heart baby. Our little girl was born with Truncus Arteriosus.
Megan

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

What a cute little chunk of love! I'm glad he's healing well! Chase's labs should be back tomorrow - pray for low numbers!!

Michelle, NC.

KatBouska said...

I just wandered into your blog while browsing and what an adorable little guy. I can't believe what you guys have gone through up to this point. The thought of children in the hospital send shivers up my spine. I hope he never has to go back!!