Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Showing off the chubby neck

Tonight I asked Elijah HOW BIG IS ELIJAH like I do every day and a millisecond later he was throwing up his arms, giggling uncontrollably. I think he wants to show off his big chubby neck (look at that thing)! He is most definitely proud of how big he is.











And, would YOU cut off this beautiful hair?




I want to share a part of the book that we have read and love so much that our wonderful Dr. Moga stars in ("Walk on Water" by Michael Ruhlman). Here is my favorite quote from Dr. M:

The author asks him to define "grace."
Dr. Moga replies with: "A moment of clarity. You're not yourself, you're an instrument of something else. When I was in thoracic surgery, doing a pneumonectomy, taking out part of a lung, I had to sew the pulmonary artery back together with one hand because I was holding the trunk of it with my other hand. I didn't even think. Forehand, boom, boom, boom, boom, four backhand, and it was done. The guy I was training under said, 'Frank, that was a moment of grace. Never forget it.' I hadn't realized, I was surprised, but he was right, and to this day it delights me to think about it...that's what I strive for. Larry Bird was once asked about Michael Jordan after a game between Boston and Chicago when Jordan was on--really on, even for Jordan--and Bird replied, 'That wasn't Michael Jordan, that was God.' That's when you know you're there--when it's not even you."

I love that! How did we get the best surgeon EVER?

Tomorrow night we are bringing Elijah to my sister's house and then we're heading to Florida early Friday morning. I'll tell Lissa she has to upload lots of Elijah pics while we're gone! People are counting on you, Lissa! :)

Really? I get to be on the beach in two days? I don't believe it. All I know is snow, cold, sickness and hospitals. THE BEACH???

15 comments:

Samantha said...

Thank you for the pictures...I was having serious withdrawals...

Megan and Dan...he looks a million times healthier and happier now that he is all repaired...how amazing!

I remember that quote from the book and I loved it then...thanks for putting it back up...he really is an amazing surgeon...I think I need to reread that book!

I hope you have a wonderful time in Florida...you guys deserve it!

Love,
Samantha

TimnKatienElinSam said...

I am so glad that you guys are going on this trip. It will be so good for you both! I know it is tough to leave, but you are so lucky to have family close that Eli can stay with. We will be thinking of you guys in the sun. Be sure to have a lot of beach time for us!

Love and hugs,
the Yoders

jencooper said...

Now that is some SERIOUS chub!!! So cute. I love the hair. If you cut it, I will personally fly up to MN and KICK YOUR TUSHIE!!

Have a wonderful time in Florida. Enjoy yourself and give us an update if you get a chance.

<3,
jen

Tina:0) said...

I just want to kiss all over that 'little' neck! And those curls! I'd give my left arm for curls like that!! He's such eye candy!!

Hope you enjoy your trip to Florida! Make sure you take plenty of bottles to capture some of that sunshine & take it home with you! I'm sure Elijah will have fun with his sleep over while Mommy & Daddy are gone!

Praying for a safe & relaxing trip! Can't wait to read all about it when you get back!

Give that little piece of eye candy big hugs from us here in Ohio!

Lots of heart hugs!
Tina & family:0)

Krista said...

Wow...you can tell he is so totally proud of himself...the looks on his face are priceless!
It is amazing how much better he looks...just a few short weeks after surgery! amazing!

Thanks for sharing the quote...our lives are filled with grace when we take the time to look...and recognize it for what it is...and from Whom it comes.

Have a wonderful wonderful time in Florida...you are so deserving...and it looks like Elijah will be just fine! Enjoy every minute!

jdmill said...

Men do not have "beautiful hair"... but I'm not sure about babies. Those are, however, some manly curls.

Kathy said...

Love the hair, the chub...we just love that little man of yours!!!
You have fun showing your white bum off in Florida!!! (don't forget to put sunscreen on it!)
Have fun...and maybe you should give us Lissa's number so we can remind her to post pics!)!!

have fun!
Kathy

il Dan said...

I concur Jer, they are indeed Manly Locks.

Sarah said...

I LOVE those pictures - he is so cute! Megan - I hope you have a wonderful, relaxed, non-worried time on the beach!

Anonymous said...

Hi...I found your site through Stephanie Hendrick's CaringBridge site. It caught my eye since your last name is my maiden name. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA though. I never thought that the name Porta was too common. Heck, even if you aren't related that's ok. It's cool to see someone with that name. Your little boy is adorable. And you can tell by the pictures that he is loved and loves the camera. Have fun in Florida!

Unknown said...

I just love that book! Your surgeon is amazing!

And no way would I cute those curls. Arianna has some girls but not as much as Elijah. He is just adorable. And I can't believe how well his scar looks. He is such an amazing little boy. Thanks for sharing pictures with us.

Love,
Vanessa

Ehlan said...

Love the neck shots and those curls!!! Please don't cut them! Enjoy your trip, get some sun on the beach for me!!

Anonymous said...

That is some serious chub under that neck...are you just after it all day long? I would be!! And the curls...oh, my! He looks more and more happy all the time! How wonderful to see!


Enjoy your "fun in the sun"! Can't wait to hear about how wonderful your getaway was!!

Love,

Cindy

P.S. I still think it's crazy that you have the surgeon that book was written about!!! What a cool "inside look" at him!! Have you ever mentioned anything about the book to him, or is that something that isn't done?

mina said...

Elijah looks adorable! Enjoy you much needed vacation at the beach! And I'm definitely going to try and get hold of that book, sounds like a good read.

mina said...

Elijah looks adorable! Enjoy you much needed vacation at the beach! And I'm definitely going to try and get hold of that book, sounds like a good read.