Monday, May 12, 2008

Curls and travel dialogue



Please see the poll to the right and vote on whether or not to get rid of these curls. I don't want to cut off Elijah's hair but Dan does. I told him that if the results from this poll weigh in favor of cutting them off, I will take Eli to get a haircut next weekend. If the results weigh in favor of not cutting his hair now, I will get it cut in two months. Dan says if we wait two months, he will grow out a mustache until the day of the haircut, I think as an attempt to lure me into changing my mind. Oh well, I guess he'll be the one with the sweaty upper lip in the middle of the summer! EVERYONE reading, please vote! We need a wide variety of people included (we can't have only my close friends voting, to be fair).


On a completely different note, I found some of the communication between parents and children in airplanes/airports this past weekend interesting enough to share here.

Sitting in the MSP airport, I overheard a mother tell her 12ish-year-old daughter to turn off her ipod because "once we get on the plane, you'll need to do it anyway."

The daughter ignored her mother and continued to listen to her ipod.

Mother: Fine! The plane is going to crash and EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE! All because of YOU! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!

I giggled because I thought, she has to be kidding, right? I turned around to see that based on the looks on both of their faces, she was not kidding. A few minutes later, just when our flight had started pre-boarding, which means there was still plenty of time before the coach class would begin boarding, the daughter said she was going to run to the bathroom quick.

Mother: You can't go to the bathroom NOW!

The daughter got up and went anyway. The mother yelled after her, "Fine! MISS THE FLIGHT! See if I care!"

Shortly after, I heard the father call their other daughter a moron. Nice.


Then on the airplane from Ft. Myers back to MSP, there was a baby about Elijah's age crying in the row behind us. The ride was pretty bumpy for a while and every time it got really bad, she would cry harder. I didn't have a problem with the crying. I have a lot of patience for that because I know how hard it is to fly with a baby. It was the mother who was annoying me.

She kept telling her baby to "STOP THAT!" Dan and I kept looking at each other like, Really? Does she think that's going to work? Then the loud SSHHHHHHH-ing started followed by more STOP THATs.


Good, so now we know what works! I have a few things to work on: I need to turn up the drama, I need to start calling Elijah degrading names and I need to yell at him to STOP THAT whenever he is upset. You can all thank me now for sharing this parenting wisdom!

15 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh Megan...you're cracking me up!!!
DO NOT cut his hair..it's too cute!
Let him have long shaggy hair...he's cool like that!!!
Doesn't Dan remember how good he looked with that Rambo wing on?? Didn't all the ladies stare at him?!?!

and the way people talk to their kids. It's MORE intolerable now that we have to work so hard to keep ours around...these people just take their healthy kids for granted. It just makes me hug mine tighter (and remind them how LUCKY they are to have us as parents!)
Glad you had a fun trip!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Time to slice off the hair.

il Dan said...

Kathy, that is a good point. If Elijah wears a head band, a wife beater and carries around a large knife I might just relent and let the hair remain for a little while.

Tina:0) said...

I tell you what - keep the curls for a while & then I'll take 'em! I'd give my left leg for curl like that!

As a cure for the way people talk to their kids, I say we should video tape them & then replay it on a large public screen, like Time's Square - with a live feed of their reaction to the video! Maybe that would enlighten them as to how horrible they are!

Anonymous said...

I think Dan is out corralling his troups to sway the vote. He knows all the chicks are going to say to keep the curls! I still think he's going to end up with a moustache this summer, though...

Don't even know what to say about all the interesting dialogue. Being the mom of a teenage girl, I know you get what you give. I can't even imagine how Steph would act if I talked to her like that. The one about the baby cracked me up....show of hands for how many of our babies yell louder when we try to shush them?? It makes mine go full-out teradactile scream on me!

Have a great day tomorrow!

Love,

Cindy

Anonymous said...

Loove the hair. I actually think he'd look a little like a rockstar baby with long curly hair. Think Kate Hudson's kid, Ryder. Why don't you let it grow till it gets in the way of his activity? Either way, the kid is a freakin' gem. xo

Anonymous said...

Don't cut the hair. We're growing Jetson's mullet out...so, if Elijah could get that mustache going...

I am happy to hear you had a good time in Florida. It looked beautiful. I'm sure you're content being home nibbling on that chunky monkey though.

Love you all!

Samantha said...

Don't you dare cut that hair!!! I am a HUGE fan of curly, long hair boys! I will grow Micah's out too...this can be a new membership rule for the one sock mafia that they are also members of!

Don't you just love the emotional blackmail that moms can dish out at times? So sad that the mom would tell her daughter that she was going to be the reason a plane crashed! Gosh!

Poor baby on the plane...I am sometimes guilty of that too...I don't want to disturb others, but it is not about them...oh well...

Glad you are home!!!

Love ya!
Samantha

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Megan. I'm going to have to go with Dan on this one. My mom thought it was cute to cut my hair short as a kid. So everyone thought I was a boy. I cried every time she cut my hair. I remember hating it so much. It may be one of my earliest memories. His curls will probably still show up at a short length too.

Laurie

Ann(ie) said...

Don't cut it JUST yet. Although I'm not one to talk b/c I did cut Ben's hair, but I waited until it started to resemble a mullet. And Elijah is still looking so precious.

AND...um, lovely little family you got the pleasure of witnessing. Reminds me of the family I watched on Dr. Phil yesterday. I wanted to poke my eyeballs out.

Unknown said...

Whatever you do...DON'T CUT HIS HAIR!! He is adorable with his flowing locks. Arianna has the same thing, just not as curly and I would hate to see Elijah get a hair cut. He is cool with his shaggy do!

And man, those parents at the airport are horrible. Thank god they don't have heart babies... I can hear it now, "Shhh...stop crying, your chest tube will come out tomorrow" People are so insensitive.

Take Care!

jencooper said...

LEAVE THE HAIR!! Coming from one curly haired person to another!! I have grown to love my curls. He is such a cutie!

Thanks for reminding me to hug my kiddos and tell them that I love them!!

<3,
Jen

jdmill said...

Cut... and I can tell you from experience, in later years Elijah will thank you for this.
Also, a boy's first haircut should be performed by his father or his grandfather... or at least the father should take the boy to his first haircut... preferably at a barber where the barber will inadvertently nick the boy's ear slightly, causing a small amount of bloodshed, but no pain to the boy...
it's man code... it's science... or it could just be me reliving my first haircut memory.

Wendy said...

Hi Megan,

It's so great to hear that there's haircut banter going on in the household and not some medical emergency! :) I mean, who would even know our little ones just had major heart surgery only weeks ago!! I'll take a discussion on hair any day! Which by the way, I love his curls!!! Wait a couple of months!!(Sorry, Dan...)

I really am glad to see that Elijah is doing so well....and what a cutie!!

Take care! Emma sends Elijah a great big heart hug and kissy face! :)

Lots of Love,

Wendy (& Emma, too!)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/emmanicole

mina said...

Love the curls!