Friday, October 17, 2008

Cath date and funnies

It's totally strange how this always works out, but Elijah's big dates (surgeries, big appointments, etc.) always seem to fall on dates that have other significance. Again, this is happening. His heart cath will be on November 26th, which is the day before Thanksgiving, which means we will probably be in the hospital on Thanksgiving for a bit. I guess the day before Thanksgiving isn't technically a significant day, but close enough. Hopefully we will be out of the hospital in time to eat some yummy food. Dan will cry big huge tears if he can't eat a heap of stuffing as tall as our house.

The plan for Nov 26th is that Elijah will have a flow scan done on his lungs in the morning, followed by a heart cath at 11:30. Please say prayers about this. Putting big dates like this on the calendar makes me anxious.

I owe pics! I don't have any right now, so I'll get some this weekend. Right now I have a few funny things to share about our silly boy.

Yesterday while we were chatting with Dr. G, a kid in the room next to us was groaning/moaning pretty loudly. We could all hear it but no one acknowledged it. All of a sudden Elijah started imitating him and groaning back. Dr. G asked him if he was copying his friend from next door. We all giggled.

Elijah has been trying really hard to say words. When I change his diaper every morning, he plays with the buckles that are on the straps on his changing table. His word for "buckle" is "gung-gung" and he repeats it over and over. He finds buckles fascinating for some reason. Buckles, wheels and doors.

I have been trying to teach him the meanings of "stop" and "go," so I will push one of his little cars around on the floor as I say, "Gooooooooooo....Stop!" Well, the other day he was lying on the floor pushing a crayon around like it was a car (he pushes everything around like it's a car) and he was saying, "Daaaaaaaaaaa....Da!" I think that is his version of Goooooo, stop!

I think I mentioned before his love for a song we hear on PBS a lot about shapes. Whenever I sing it, he does these jerky movements with his arms to "draw" out the shapes in the air like they do on tv. Now, any time he sees a circle, triangle or a square, he starts doing his little jerky arm dance without any prompting from the song. I have to get this on video soon. It is just the funniest thing. Have you ever seen Elaine dancing on Seinfeld?

Elijah and I have a pretty low-key weekend planned. I'm praying for fewer tantrums than we experienced last weekend. He and I both woke up sick this morning (again for him) so hopefully we can get rid of the gunk with some tlc. Dan will be working all weekend. We will miss him.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh you and Kathy just have me laughing tonight... The Seinfeld episode is one of my favorites and I can just picture cute little Elijah jerking around when he see's shapes...

Kathy said...

I love that Seinfeld episode too!!! Please get that on video...that's too funny!!!

You know..we were at the hospital last Thanksgiving...it's no fun..and the food is YUCKY! So, go ahead and tell Mr. E to get that lung scan, that heart cath, and wake up breathing great and eating well so that you can get some sleep that night!

OH...that just stinks that Dan will be gone all weekend...but, I'm sure Elijah will snuggle you enough and maybe he'll behave. (really, I bet it's the steroids...is he off yet??) Joe has been a beast here..but, he's finally off his. (thank goodness!)

I look forward to LOTS of pics this weekend...start clicking!
love,
kathy

Samantha said...

So cute! I will put the 26th down on my calendar so that I don't forget...but remind us again since I will still forget :)

I love it when they learn to talk...Micah's sound for everything is "d". We make so much fun of him...he holds entire conversations with only the letter d...it goes like this
"d"
"d, d"
"d, d, d"
"ah, D"
Kids!

I hope you have a relaxing weekend where you get LOTS of rest and LOTS of love from your chunky monkey!

Much love,
Samantha

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

*giggling* I loved that episode of Seinfeld too...
funny...

Matthew loves buckles too!!! Big time...

We were stuck in the hospital part of Thanksgiving Day a couple years ago too... over a heart cath!!
But the good thing... I got out of cooking... cleaning...
just got to run over to my brothers in the afternoon and eat...

so it might not be a bad thing...
snort!!

Seriously... I hope you get right out and you are home...
and all will go well.

Did you ask about a scan?? We haven't had a cath in a couple years b/c we get this amazing scan deal... ?? Maybe Kathy remembers what kind it is... it takes like 64 pictures in a half a second....

Tina:0) said...

Ah, the buckles! Vaeh finds them in everything & has a blast with them!!

I'll put the date on my calendar, but like Samantha said... please drop a reminder!

Hope you two have a nice weekend of snuggling together! Give him big hugs from us!

Ann(ie) said...

OH yes!! You must be getting that on video, girlie!!! That episode was hands down one of my faves! Big hugs to you both. Get to feeling better, love.

Unknown said...

November 26th happens to be Arianna's birthday. I'll definintly be thinking and praying for Elijah.

I'm so sorry I'm behind on all your updates. But I'm catching up.

Oh...and Arianna used to say "gung-gung" for Grams (my mom). I thought it was the cutest sound.

Much love,

Vanessa