Friday, October 24, 2008

Get your flu shot!

It has been quite a week for us. Elijah has struggled through one of the toughest sicknesses he has had yet in his life. Dan has stayed home all week with a sick, crabby, steroid-filled baby. I have been sick myself and I also worked all week. YUCK.

Elijah finally seems to be turning a corner. He isn't coughing through the whole night anymore, and he isn't working quite as hard to breathe. He took his last dose of steroids today (yesss!) and will continue with antibiotics for another couple days. I think maybe I'm turning a corner finally, too (hoping so, anyway). Elijah and I were on the same course until Wednesday night when my sickness took a bad turn and his thankfully didn't follow. I'm pretty sure I got some form of the flu on top of the cold I already had. So far Elijah doesn't seem to have gotten that leg of it and hopefully he won't.

As I was lying in bed on Wednesday night, feeling like death was near, I had a very bad feeling in my gut. Since Elijah's and my cold symptoms up to that point had mimicked each other, I thought for sure he was going be feeling as badly as I was at that point. I laid there knowing that if he had to go through that part of it, he would be going through it in the hospital. For sure. I knew his little body wouldn't be able to handle it without medical intervention.

I am pretty sure that I caught the flu and Elijah didn't. Dan and I have not gotten our flu shots yet. Elijah thankfully has. After seeing my little boy struggle with every breath he took this week, I am more convinced than ever that catching the flu (or worse, RSV) would be a very very bad thing for him. His heart just would not be able to handle it. Young children who have heart disease are at an increased risk for serious and potentially life-threatening complications from the flu. FLU SHOTS ARE VERY IMPORTANT.

The events of this week are making me rethink our situation. Is daycare best for our son? Is it worth it to willingly put him into an environment that is likely going to be full of germs throughout the winter, when he is still so young and susceptible to sickness? What about money? We definitely need another income, but what is more important? I hate it. I don't know what to do. All I know is that seeing my baby struggle that hard over a simple cold was startling. I cannot fathom what anything more serious could do to him since his little body already works so hard even when he is "healthy."

10 comments:

Kathy said...

oh girl...I hope you start feeling better soon!

That's such a tough decision...daycare or not to daycare. But, also having money to buy food is important too. I SO wish that we lived closer...I'd LOVE to watch Mr. E for you! You never know...an answer to your prayers will pop up when you least expect it. Maybe you can find an older woman who needs some chub to love on and could also use the extra money during these times.

Is Elijah getting RSV shots this winter (I can't remember if you've told us already or not)? At least he got the flu shot already.

I'll be thinking about you guys, and praying for you.
Get better soon!

love,
kathy

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

yep.. we all got our flu shots at the pulmonologist office the first week of october..

but then he picked up a chest cold from his office ... DOH...

never fails when we go to the doctor for a well visit check ..
matt picks something up...

jencooper said...

This is our constant battle. We HAVE to have two incomes - no buts about it. But, I hate that my kids are in daycare. Gracie definitely picks things up, but the good thing is that she fights it faster now.

We all have our flu shots...yea.

I hope that you are feeling much better!! Get some rest this weekend!

<3,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Megan,

Sorry to hear about yours and Elijah’s rough week, and I’m happy to hear that you guys are more or less over the hump, for now. You are perfectly right to worry about Influenza, RSV, and other respiratory infections with him. Although he was vaccinated against Influenza, unfortunately this vaccine, although very safe and effective, is still not 100% protective. This means, that kids like Elijah, although immunized, are still at risk for serious, complicated respiratory infection. To prevent that from happening, your friends and family can really help!! Everyone around Elijah who is immunized against Influenza is helping to reduce the risk of a serious infection!! So please forward the following to ALL your friends and family. I hope they will read it trough and get vaccinated.

Blue Skies,

Bazak



Influenza is NOT the common cold it is SERIOUS!!

What will you do if I’ll tell you that by ignoring certain, simple recommendation you might make someone very sick.

What will you do if I’ll tell you that you have the option of saving someone’s life! You will probably say – ‘Sign me in! What can I do to help?’

If you really want to help Elijah and ten of thousands other people get vaccinated!

We are fast approaching influenza season. Influenza is a respiratory viral infection that is caused by the Influenza virus A or B. Symptoms range from mild to severe illness, and at times can be extremely serious, risking one’s life, especially in certain risk groups such as children with congenital heart disease. Each year >200,000 people are being hospitalized and approximately 36,000 people are dying from Influenza.
The influenza virus is spread among people by aerosolized particles through coughing or sneezing. When you get sick with influenza, you put those around you at risk, a risk that some kids like Elijah cannot take. Most healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop. This mean that you might not even know it, but you may actively contribute to the spread of this respiratory viral infection to a person or child that would not survive the illness!!

But enough with bad news, you got the point that Influenza is serious – now let have some good news and see what every one of us can do to protect those who are at risk.

The single best way to prevent the flu is to get a flu vaccination each year. There are two types of vaccines:
The Influenza shot (“Flu Shot”) – an inactivated vaccine (containing killed virus) that is given with a needle. The flu shot is approved for use in people 6 months of age and older, including healthy people and people with chronic medical conditions.

The nasal-spray flu vaccine – a vaccine made with live, weakened flu viruses that do not cause the flu (sometimes called LAIV for “Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine”). LAIV is approved for use in healthy* people 2-49 years of age who are not pregnant. About two weeks after vaccination, antibodies develop that protect against influenza virus infection. Flu vaccines will not protect against flu-like illnesses caused by non-influenza viruses.

PLEASE GET VACCINATED!!! YOU WILL SAVE LIVES!!!

For more information please visit:
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/
http://facesofinfluenza.org/home.php
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/diseases/flu/index.html

Bazak Sharon, MD
Pediatric Infectious Diseases,
University of Minnesota – Medical School.

Unknown said...

I got my flu shot but I'm begging Robert to go get his. He has never gotten the flu shot and says he never will. I never realized the flu could be so dangerous to our heart kids. I'll have to do some research on that to scare the crap out of Robert with. I do however make the rest of my family get their shots.

We do not put Arianna in day care because of the risk it puts her at. Of course the immunologist says we can't because of her DiGeorge Syndrome even with her live vaccines. Now with her lung disease we are not even going to take that risk. I still haven't heard about Arianna getting the Synagis shots this year and I have a feeling they won't approve it. I hope they are giving Elijah his.

I'm so sorry you were so sick this week. I'm just happy Elijah didn't get as sick.

Try and get some rest this weeekend.

Much love,

Vanessa

Anonymous said...

I hope you'll be back to your healthy self soon! I'm glad Elijah seems to be getting better, though.

The day care vs. one income thing is tough. I'll pray for you to help find your answer. I know you love your Elijah so much that you only want the best for him. Don't feel guilty, OK? You're trying your best, and you're doing a tremendous job.

Remember to breathe.

my life: said...

You know I know....we all do. If you would want to consider moving...I'm all for keeping him at my house! :0) Our foster daughter will be leaving soon and then we will have a completely controlled environment. :0)

Hang in there...prayers for wisdom coming your way. Tough, tough decisions come with being a parent...they are relentless!

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

Glad you're on the mend! That means you'll have time for this:

TAG - YOU'RE IT!

Go read my blog for details...

Tracy said...

We got our flu shots last week! I hope you and Elijah are feeling all better very soon.

Anonymous said...

As soon as Jacob is all recovered we are getting his flu shot. I'm going to get mine as soon as I can get there. You've shown me that I can't keep putting it off, so I'll go tomorrow! Thanks for the push!

Hope you're all feeling better in the Porta household. I'll be sending lots of get well prayers to you guys!!

Lots of love,
Cindy