Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dr. G saves the day

Elijah's cardiology appointment went well this morning, minus the contortionist act I had to do during his echo. He weighed 25 lbs. 3 oz., which is almost a one pound gain from last month! He certainly is not growing taller, though. He has been hovering right around 30.5-31 inches for about six months now. His oxygen sats were at 100%. I know, I couldn't believe it, either! I still get a little teary when I see such high numbers on that monitor that I dreaded looking at for such a long time. His blood pressure was pretty high. More on that in a bit. His heart function looked perfect, thank you, GOD, and no fluid retention was seen on his chest xray.

The only issue right now is the narrowing of his right pulmonary artery, and we already knew about this. Dr. G thinks that this is causing some disturbances in his body. This could explain the puffy eyes, and also the high pressure in the right side of his heart, which was revealed through today's echo results. The right side of his heart will always have to work extra hard, but right now the pressure on that side is even higher than his already high baseline is.

The plan is to get him to the cath lab in November or December (instead of January, like we had been planning) so Dr. G can widen the stent in his pulmonary artery. This will hopefully help blood to flow through the artery more easily which should decrease the pressure in the right side of his heart. In the meantime, we will give him Lasix as needed for his mild fluid retention, only when he is appearing extra puffy, and otherwise continue on with life normally (normally, ha!).

I feel a thousand times better after talking to our wonderful cardiologist and having him do such a thorough exam of our little boy. I still think Dr. G should just move in with us. We would even give him our bedroom!

11 comments:

mina said...

The update I've been holding my breath for all day! Yay for no huge surprises. It must have felt great to see 100%. Hopefully things will remain pretty stable until time for Elijah's cath, with the Lasix on board.

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

AMEN! We've been praying for you all day!!!

Kathy said...

OH...we'll take that report. The boys hearts are so stinkin' similar. Isaac's right side is a little larger where it has to pump harder.

Isaac had a stent once...if it'll keep Mr. E out of the operation room...take it! Brave little Elijah. Kiss him and hug him for us.
AND...Isaac is taller than Elijah...but, Elijah's bum is still bigger. So, tell E that he has more junk in his trunk! and tell him to start walking...or stop gaining weight!

Love to you all,
kathy

Tina:0) said...

Okay, the boys aren't the only ones who are similar:0)! Vaeh's pressures on the right side are high, too - hence the O2 for now. (She doesn't have the stent yet... possibly in December or so)

Glad for the good report. Its so nice to have the same person who knows your little one in & out! Vaeh's card is like a distant uncle or something (lol).

Give that plump little man some smooches from us!

Unknown said...

I am so gald for the great report and the O2. You know when Logan got taken off the Lasix a few weeks ago the puffyness went away all over his body and you would think it would be the other way around. Thanks for the update. Karen

jencooper said...

Yea!! I am so happy that you were able to get some peace of mind.

100%??? Wow....that is amazing! We will never see that!

I wouldn't mind if my Dr. Thomas moved in with me either. Hmmmm - wonder if his brand new wife would like that?

<3,
Jen

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

we still get thrilled over 100 o2 sats....

matt's right side is bigger too..

he had to get a PA plasty 2 yrs ago on his left side....

we love our ped card like you do yours!!!

we always talk politics... he's a liberal and we are conservatives... so we have spirited card visits!!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

SOO HAPPY AND GLAD FOR YOU...

WAHH HOOO....

HUGS AND KISSES, TOO

Anonymous said...

Yay for the positive report. Hopefully the cath is going to do the trick and decrease some of that pressure. You sound so much more at peace since talking to Dr. G. It's like these wonderful cards. of ours hold our sanity in their hands! I would love it if ours moved in here, too, but everyone around here knows I have a mad crush on him, so it would be purely selfish motives!! ;)

Have a wonderful weekend and kiss that sweet boy for me!

Sending lots of love,

Cindy

Samantha said...

YAY!!!! Wonderful news and what a relief that our sweet little (hmmm, I mean, BIG) Elijah is doing so well. I am sorry the cath is looking to happen sooner than you wanted, but I guess that means more relief faster for your little (I mean big) boy! I cannot believe he still weighs more than Micah...I thought we had finally passed most of our friends...oh well, we are creeping up there :)

Have a wonderful weekend my friend!!!!

Much love,
Samantha

my life: said...

So glad to hear that you were able to get him in and seen. :0) Sounds like goodish news...heart cath has a whole new face to me now...I am definitely remembering sweet Elijah! Much love to you and your sweet family....