Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Croup commiserating

Two times over the past couple months, sneezing and a runny nose have been precursors to croup for Elijah. That is why I was on high alert on Sunday night, the day these same symptoms started popping up again. He was fine all through that night, and woke up yesterday morning with a gunky cough and a runny nose. We figured we were past the part where croup was a worry because usually it happens on that first night of symptoms.

Early this morning I heard Elijah start to cry and then he was really struggling to catch a breath on the inhale. I leaped off the bed in a panicked frenzy and ran into his room while Dan ran into the bathroom to turn on the shower. We both recognized the sound over the baby monitor immediately and knew the drill. I felt like we were fire fighters!

When I picked him up, he was pretty upset and really struggling to catch a breath. For a second or two, I had the thought, THIS REALLY IS NOT GOOD, but when I brought him into the bathroom, he calmed down pretty quickly. As long as he wasn't crying, he was able to get air into his lungs. I knew we had to keep him calm, so Dan and I took turns holding him as the bathroom steamed up. We also gave him a nebulizer treatment. After 20 minutes he was much better, but we could still feel junk in his chest when he breathed. I didn't want to put him back in bed because I knew he would cry and get upset and then not be able to breathe again. So we sat up with him until it was our usual wake-up time and then we went about our morning routine.

Dan had to cancel a job he had lined up for today (ARGHHH!!!) and he will be taking Elijah into see his pediatrician this afternoon. I did a little research and it seems as though he has spasmodic croup, which just means that it is recurring and is linked to a respiratory illness. I talked to a nurse on the Lung Line, and she gave me the impression that this is not normal. He should not be experiencing croup so regularly and so severely. Her thought was that there is most likely an underlying reason for it. Maybe asthma, maybe airway problems (he does have a slightly narrowed airway), maybe something else. She suggested I get him in to see his pulmonologist, so I have already scheduled an appointment for that. He can't get in till December 17th, so I'm hoping his ped will be able to give us some insight in the meantime.

This episode wasn't nearly as bad as the last two, but all three have been really scary. Like, in my head I actually think, could this be it? Is he going to stop breathing? Since the second episode last month (the scariest), I've actually lost a lot of sleep over this, worrying about him, listening extra close to the monitor, checking on him repeatedly. From what I understand, there is really nothing we can do to prevent it. We have been running Elijah's vaporizer every night in his room, but the Lung Line nurse said they do not recommend that anymore because of the insane amount of bacteria and mold that build up in them that are then sent back into the air and into his little body. The only home treatments for croup are a steamy bathroom, cold, humid outside air and nebulizer treatments. We do all of these things with every episode, but they don't always work for him as we found out last month as we rode in an ambulance to the ER.

This freaks me out. I worry and anticipate another episode every night. I am praying that we can get some answers so we can all get some restful sleep and not have to spend so much energy worrying about this.

8 comments:

my life: said...

Many prayers going up on your behalf. I'm so sorry...it is so scary! :0)
Squeeze him for me and tell him "Amber said to get over this quickly, so that your momma can get some rest!" :0)

Andrea said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I know that terrifying feeling of trying to figure out if it's something you can handle at home or if you need to rush to the ER. I hope Elijah gets over his latest bout quickly and that you can have some peace.

jencooper said...

Oh Megan....sorry to hear that you are stressing out about Elijah! Poor little guy. I am hoping that he is really feeeling better tonight. That is super scary! I hope that the pulmonologist is able to shed some light on the underlying reason when you are able to see him. (That is the date of our cardio appointment.)

Please keep us posted!!

<3,
Jen

Kathy said...

GIRL...I can't believe he's doing this to you again!

Is he getting pulmacort daily--even when he's not sick?? (Isaac still gets it twice a day to build up his lungs and bronchial tubes). That would worry me too...because Isaac has super low t-cells...and Elijah gets junky lungs far more often than Isaac. He may have asthma...and these allergies are triggering all of this. That's what's been happening in our house (with Joe and Eli...the asthmatics!)

I HOPE it's an easy fix, adjusting of meds...and the croup will BE GONE FOREVER!!!

We will keep you all in our prayers.

Sending love,
Kathy

Tina:0) said...

I'm sorry... didn't mean for Vaeh to send her germs through the computer:0)

Praying that things calm down & he's well again, soon!

Unknown said...

Oh I am so sorry he is doing this again, I know it must freak you out, Does he take meds daily for this even when he is healthy he should be on Pulmecort Logan is during the winter season. Ask his Doctor about it. I really hope he gets to feeling better real soon our prayers go out to you guys. Love ya Karen

Ehlan said...

How scary and frustrating! I hope you guys are able to get the answers you need with your doctors appointments. Prayers of health!!

Samantha said...

I keep coming here to post and I keep getting called away. I am so sorry that our precious baby is not feeling well...I finally can say I understand how stinky croup is. I am praying that he recovers quickly...poor thing!

I know that there is more I want to say, but the kids are driving me crazy...I cannot wait until Jonathan gets back into THIS country!!!

Much love,
Samantha