Friday, November 21, 2008

Giving

Something I have always wanted is for Elijah to know how important it is to give. I see so many kids (and adults, too) who expect things to be given to them or done for them, but who don't understand the concept of giving to others. It is really important to me that Dan and I do everything we can to help Elijah truly understand the principle of giving and how it is much more important and rewarding than receiving.

I was thinking about all of this as I was NOT sleeping at 3:00 this morning (and I haven't even told Dan about this yet), but I'm going to start a new tradition for our family. Every year for the holidays, each person in our house must come up with two things that we as a family can do to give to someone outside of our home. We must come up with our ideas before Thanksgiving, and we must complete them by Christmas. This year Dan and I will come up with Elijah's ideas for him, but eventually I would like for him to come up with his own creative ways to reach out to people.

I sometimes feel bogged down by the presents and the parties and the pressures of Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas-time. I will always have a tree and decorations and presents, and Santa will always make a stop by our house. I just want to keep all of the important things from getting lost. I hope that through this new tradition, we can adjust the focus to where it should be. For Elijah, and for us.

We will compile our list this weekend and share it when it's complete! I'm excited!


Strangely, I had copied and pasted these into a document a few months ago, and just ran across them this morning. I love these verses:

2 Corinthians 9:6-9 -- Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor; his righteousness endures forever. [quoting Psalms 112:9]

2 Corinthians 9:10-11 -- Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

2 Corinthians 8:7, 13-14 -- But just as you excel in everything in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us see that you also excel in this grace of giving....Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality.

Luke 6:38 -- Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Proverbs 19:17 -- He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward him for what he has done.

7 comments:

il Dan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Samantha said...

Megan...this is a beautiful idea! I love it and will probably steal it from you...I do believe that the kids (and adults) make things all about themselves and we forget the true meaning of this time of year.

Thanks for the great idea...now I am off to come up with some ideas (I am sure that they have to do with the "heart"...big surprise)

Love ya!
Samantha

Anonymous said...

After reading your post, I thought of the same thing as Samantha did...I'm going to steal this idea! I am in constant struggle with how to portray the concept of giving and sharing to my children as well. Even though we are not billionaires, we are living in abundance, and would really love to share.

This is a simple, yet thoughtful idea. Sorry it took you till 3AM to come up with it, and me only a second to steal it!

Jen

P.S.--thank you for always finding the time to not only visit my blog, but to also comment. I don't know how you do it! You are such a great friend. I hope to meet you one day!

Ann(ie) said...

See? THIS is just of the many reasons why I adore you!! xo.

jencooper said...

Thanks for reinforcing giving during the holiday season! We always get an angel or two off of the tree. This year, I am going to explore getting Bennett more involved!

You are such an inspiration!!

<3,
Jennifer

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

What a great post...

I have been told by several...
that The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck is very very good...
and it gets people into the real meaning of Christmas...

Mike even bought the book....

Unknown said...

How Sweet and what a great idea, all kids need to know the gift of giving instead of receiving. I can't wait to see the list.