Saturday, November 8, 2008

Mommy-Elijah time


Doesn't he look like such a big boy? My little baby is growing up.

Elijah and I had a good day together. He was pretty tired and fussy for most of the morning (we experienced some pretty dramatic tantrums, fun!) but that's because he woke up at 5:00 again this morning. UGGHHh! I figured he would be good and tired and take a long nap, but nope! He slept for 20 minutes and YELLED for the rest of the time he was in his room. No crying, just yelling. It went like this: AHHhhhhhhhhh! (take a breath) AHhhhhhhhhhhh! (take a breath) and so on. I was sitting there thinking, WHAT?! He never does this. He is our little angel sleeper. So tonight when I put him down he did the same thing when I left. It must be another fun phase. Or maybe the monsters in his closet are pinching him.


Elijah attacked me with stickers. He thought it was super funny to cover me with them. Oh, and he ended up eating one. I hope that's ok? Oops, bad mama.

Since he got so little sleep, I figured he'd be beastly the rest of the afternoon, but it was quite the opposite, strangely. We had a really good time together. We played with play-doh and colored a picture for Grammie P and Grandpa. We played trucks and read books and sang songs and watched Super Why.


A coworker and good friend gave these to Elijah for Halloween. They are so cute! They are bath bubbles. I can't wait to use them.

I think Elijah has OCD. It was so funny to watch him play with the play-doh and the containers they go into. He would situate everything around him on the table just how he wanted them. If I moved anything out of place, he would put it back. I took one of the lids out from underneath a piece of paper and he took it out of my hand and put it back under the piece of paper. He gets everything how he wants it and then he gives it a satisfied look like, yes, this is just how it should be. Silly kid.

I meant to mention last night that Elijah went to daycare a few days this week and it seemed to go really well. Dan called me on Thursday after he picked him up to tell me that the lady who watches him said that he had been interacting more with the other kids. I almost started crying. This kid has been so antisocial and I have really worried about that (it's one of the main signs of autism). I guess an older kid was sitting with him at the table and making him laugh and Elijah was loving the interaction. It might sound weird that I'm so excited about this, but you should see how he usually is around children. He wants nothing to do with them. Next week he will be in daycare every day, so hopefully he will continue to adjust and do great there. I love that he has the chance to spend time with other kids now. I think it is so important for his development, especially with him being pretty behind in most areas.

I'm hoping Dan is having a good time out in the woods and that he is shooting lots of deer. Tomorrow Elijah and I have a few errands to run. We're going to go check on our friends' kitty while they are out of town and we might even get to visit Grandma (Dan's mom) for a bit. She is a city clerk so she has been super swamped crazy busy with election stuff and we haven't seen her in a really long time. Anyway, thanks for checking in and I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Tomorrow I will write about his speech/physical therapies and other developmental things and how they are going. I've been so bad about updating everyone. I'll be better! Off to my nightly bath...ahhhhh.......

5 comments:

mina said...

Elijah really is growing up. It's great to know that he's working on his social skills too. Enjoy your week!

jencooper said...

I love bath time too!! That is my favorite activity every night.

I am so happy to hear that you had a great day today!! E is such a cutie pie.

I hope that he does well this week at daycare. I am so happy to hear that he is interacting with the other kids. He could be like Grace - interact by BITING everyone!

Bennett has to push the green button to unlock the door at his school exactly 5 times everyday. OCD?

<3,
Jennifer

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

He's soo cute...

funny about the stickers... Matthew hates stickers...

he got all upset when a lady in the elevator tried to stick one on him... lol

Kathy said...

Elijah is so stinkin' cute!

seriouly...I could just eat him up!!!

He knows how to put stickers on..that's quite brilliant! Isaac would just eat them!

The Smith's said...

Hi there - I found your blog back in April during Elijah's repair. I just had to comment after your post about Elijah's new phase. My son, Luke, was also born with a complex CHD and has undergone 2 open-heart surgeries. He is 22 months (just about the same age as Elijah) and it sounded like you were writing about Luke! He, too, has to have his toys in certain positions, and he too is starting to protest MUCH more often and MUCH more loudly. Luke has started protesting sleep after 8 months of being a dream sleeper. All that to say, you are not alone! And thank you for sharing these developmental changes because sometimes moms get into the mode that their child is the only one going through these things! Have a great day!

Jesse
http://smithfamilyjourney.blogspot.com