Thursday, November 27, 2008

Home and thankful


Chugging down some apple juice after surgery


Eating yogurt, holding onto the belly button, and...check out those chub thighs!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
We were released from prison, I mean the hospital, at 9:00 this morning. We slept in Elijah's room with him last night on the very small and uncomfortable pull-out couch thing, and none of us got much sleep. No surprise there. There are constantly people coming into the room, even when Dr. G gave specific instructions not to bother us through the night. The respiratory therapist who came in at 4:00 did a great job of waking Elijah (and us) up for the day!


Watching Veggie Tales this morning and cuddling with his favorite pillow. He woke up pretty puffy this morning. They had been pumping fluids into him all night, so he retained a little bit of that.


This was our Minneapolis skyline view from Elijah's room. Not bad for a hospital room!


He was intrigued by the stethoscope. He kept handing it to me because he liked it when I put them in my ears and listened to his chest.

We got home and all of us slept for THREE HOURS. That's not saying much for Dan and me, because we could sleep for three straight days if we had the time, but that is saying a lot for Elijah. He was and still is one tired little boy.

After our nap we went to Dan's parents' for Thanksgiving dinner. The food was fabulous, as it always is, and it was good to see family. Elijah just wasn't into it, though. He didn't really want to eat and we could tell he was still exhausted. At one point, he crawled over to his diaper bag, pulled out his blankie, put it on the floor and then snuggled up to it in the corner. We left shortly after that and he stayed awake for about 2 minutes in the car. I turned around to see this:



We put him to bed super duper early tonight. He needs it. He will get caught up within a few days and be back to his usual self.

I am so thankful that this cath is DONE. It always feels good to get over each hurdle. It was a bit of an emotional day for me today. Partially because I'm overly tired, but also because of what we just watched our little boy endure. Again. Hospital time is tough. It is a totally draining and emotional experience. Watching the emotional turmoil that our little man goes through is so super traumatic for us. It always takes me a while to calm down after a hospital stay.

Today, I am so thankful for my little boy's strength, and for Dr. Gremmels' compassion and knowledge and for my supportive and loving husband who is also an amazing father. I am thankful for the amazing hospital we have so close to us and for all of YOU who walk with us in this journey and love Elijah along with us. I am thankful for family and friends and everyone in our lives and everyone who prays for our strong, amazing son.

I hope you all had a great, thankful day! xoxoxo

19 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm so glad that you guys are home and settled. Thank goodness for an afternoon nap...and food...

We are so thankful to you have in our lives....

Sweet dreams tonight you guys!

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

I'm so glad you're home! I've been checking your blog on and off all day. Get some sleep!

Tina:0) said...

Even with the "puffy, post-cath" look, he's still just too cute for words! I'm so glad that things went well & you were able to get out of 'prison' & spend some time with your family!

Know that I'm so thankful for having connected with you through this journey! It makes life so much easier walking with people who truly understand! May God continue to bless you & your family!

Give that man some smooches from us! (After some much needed rest!:0)

my life: said...

Yeah...so glad you are home!
This is what a staple you are in my family....
as I'm reading your lateset post, through my google reader, Emma is beside me and glances over. She says..."Who are you reading?" before I can answer her she says, "Oh, it's Elijah!". How cute is that? :0)
You would think that she actually...Knows Elijah! Much love coming your way....from ours!

The Smith's said...

Yea!!! Home sweet home! After Luke's cath last summer, the first thing I did when I got him home was give him a big bath to get that hospital smell off him ... then straight to sleep! I hope you all have a great night's rest and feel rejuvenated in the morning. You know what I'm thankful for? All this "stuff" our heart kiddos go through ... they are so resilient and even when we as parents still remember, they have totally moved on!

Thanks for the great update!

God bless,
Jesse

Samantha said...

It is late, but I wanted to say that I am so happy you are home and doing well. He looks just as precious as ever. Now, enjoy your long weekend with the boys and breathe for a bit...you have a bit of a break for now...ahhh...relief!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Much love,
Samantha

mina said...

What a blessing to be home! Happy Thanksgiving!

ThePicks said...

Hi Porta Family,

We've been thinking of you. Glad to hear the heart cath procedure is over and you guys got to come home yesterday morning. Hope you guys get to catch up on your zzzz's at some point this weekend...know you have to be completely exhausted.

Love,
The RA

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Glad you're home and out of prison...
lol
..... I think of hospitals the same way as you do...

he looks so darling...
kiss him for me....

hugs to you and Dan..

xoxo

Mike and Jamie said...

God Bless you guys! Your family has been through so much and its just encouraging to see how positive and faithful you remain through it all. God is so good and I love how he has used lil Elijah to bring so many smiles to so many faces (;

Love you guys,
Mike and Jamie

Sarah said...

So Thankful that things went well. That picture of him asleep.... priceless... what a blessing. So much to be Thankful for this season.

Tracy said...

Great to hear things went well with the cath and you guys are home and doing well. Hopefully you'll all get lots of sleep in the next while and be feeling even better.

Anonymous said...

The "sleeping Elijah" picture is just too precious. I want to come up there and kiss his little face!!

So glad you guys got to catch your breath, then have a nice Thanksgiving with family. What perfect timing for you to all just look at that little boy and realize how much there is to be thankful for!

Hope things are getting back to "normal" in the Porta house!

Love ya!

Cindy

Ann(ie) said...

I'm so behind. On everything. But, I'm so glad you're home and your precious boy boy is alright!!!! xo. Much love and prayers.

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are back home and everything was alright, I just want you to know your family is always in our prayers, and I am very thankfull to have meet you through Kathy you are such a sweet and caring person.
Lots if hugs Karen

Ehlan said...

Glad you are home and recovering! HOpe all is well!

Unknown said...

So glad you guys had a good Thanksgiving. I'm sure it will take a few days to destress. It's just so hard to watch our babies go through so much. And OMG...his thighs are HUGE! He is one eating machine. Arianna is still my little string bean. :)

Much love,
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

i'm glad things went as well as they did. he's a pretty tough cookie...too cute for words, too! hope you all are feeling more rested now!

Anonymous said...

oops, sorry...forgot to sign that last comment.
karla