Sunday, November 23, 2008

Snot, sneezing, sleeplessness


I took this picture while he was watching cartoons yesterday morning. Every couple of minutes, he would pat each pillow, fluff the blanket, make sure his cup was sitting in just the right spot, put his finger in his belly button and then flash me a satisfied grin. See the pillow with his name on it? If it isn't faced just how it is in the picture (with his name the right way in front of him), he has to fix it.

Elijah's 427th cold of the year seemed to be winding down when all of a sudden today, it seems to be coming back! Lovely. The typical snotty nose and sneezing has begun again, and this almost always means more croup and at least another week of cold symptoms. I want to scream!

His heart cath is scheduled for this Wednesday and if he is sick, it will need to be rescheduled. I have been praying hard all day for some miraculous healing because we would really like to get this over with. The anticipation of hospital time makes me nearly crazy, so I'd prefer not to extend the craziness. But, something I truly believe in is that if this Wednesday isn't Elijah's day to get a heart cath, then it isn't his day. It will happen when it is meant to happen and I will have faith in that.

For the past 1-2 weeks, Elijah has suddenly forgotten that he is an angel sleeper. He no longer takes more than a 20-40-minute nap all day long, and he has woken up at 2:30 every single morning for about eight days in a row now. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with him when he wakes up in the middle of the night. He just lays there and SCREAMS his head off. Last night I finally went into his room after listening to this for quite a while. I changed his diaper, Dan put him back into bed and he was fine. After these early morning wakings, I hardly ever get back to sleep, so I am feeling very sleep-deprived. I feel like I've reverted back to the days when we were getting up to feed him twice a night. Dan and I have taken turns taking little naps today to catch up, but we're still feeling zombie-ish.

I'm thinking we might give him a pre-emptive dose of steroids tonight before bed to hopefully avoid croup this time. Can I ask you all to PRAY that this Wednesday be "his" day to get a heart cath? Also, for no croup? Thank you! I hope everyone had a nice weekend. I'm still in my pajamas and I love it!

Our 2008 Porta Holiday Giving List is done! I am so excited about it, and it feels so good to be doing this. I'll share it within the next few days.

12 comments:

Tina:0) said...

Poor Elijah! It must be in the air. Vaeh started running a low grade fever last night & she just happened to finish up a 10 day course of oral antibiotics (preceded by 5 days of IM abx's!). She's a little better, but we know how this time of year can be...

I must have been on the same wave length as you this morning. I put Elijah on our church's prayer list for his cath this Wednesday! We'll be praying that all goew well (when its supposed too!)

Give him big hugs from us! Hope he has a good night's sleep tonight!

mina said...

Sorry to hear that Elijah has STILL MORE snot! I'll be praying for it all to be gone by Wednesday. Also hoping for no croup. I love how he makes himself so cozy among the blankets, how cute is that?

Kathy said...

Maybe all this means that he will be a NEAT FREAK and he'll always keep his room clean!!!

yuck...sorry that the snot is back. Do you still have the fancy snot sucker?? I use our multiple times during the day...if I even think I heard a sniffle..Isaac hates me!

Wishing you sweet dreams tonight!

Sarah said...

We're praying!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm just now getting all caught up on your last few days! First, I love the giving list idea. It's never too early to start teaching the value of giving to others. I know how much it has meant to Steph over the years to do our Angel Tree giving and someday it will all be so rewarding to Elijah.

The crawling videos are priceless. He looks so determined to get where he's going and I laughed when he stopped for a minute to take a peek in the pantry to see if there's anything in there worth stopping for at that moment!

I'm sorry you have been so sleep deprived and I am praying very hard that the little man is better in the next couple days in order to get that cath over with! There's something about once you have it in your brain that it needs to get done, you just want to get it DONE!

Sending lots of love and cold symptom banishing wishes,

Cindy

Samantha said...

He does this to you EVERY time he is scheduled for something...you do what your mommy instincts tell you to do, and if that is the steroids...do it! You know the best for him. This week is a week for giving thanks, and we will have that cath done so that we can give thanks for good results!!! I have you all in my prayers and I know that Sir Elijah will pull through in time for his cath on Wednesday so that you do not have to linger longer on this nonsense.

I love that he loves his pillow...every time I see him with it, it makes me smile...I am so happy I was able to make him something that brings him comfort :)

Hang in there my friend...I know that you get extra freaked out whenever there is something coming up...don't we all...but try to relax and remember that all will work out...it always does for that beautiful boy...

I LOVE the picture by the way...so CUTE! And I cannot wait to see the giving list!!!

Lots and lots of prayers being said for a healthy baby this week and GREAT cath results on Wednesday!!!

Much love,
Samantha

Anonymous said...

Thinking of all of you. Megan, I cannot imagine how exhausted you must feel. I will be sending lots of prayers your way for Little Eli.

Stay strong and all will go well!

Love ya,
Amanda

jencooper said...

Grrrrr....these kids!! What is it with them?? I think that we should schedule a slumber party for those of them who don't like to sleep. They can entertain each other and the mommy's can sleep!!

We are saying lots of prayers that the cath takes place on Wednesday as planned. God is good and He WILL take care of Elijah.

I hope that he is feeling better!!

<3,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Down with the snot! Keeping my fingers crossed that Wednesday is a success! Big hugs coming your way from the north woods. Summy misses the Portas (wink, wink).-Kendis

Unknown said...

oh I am so sorry he is not feeling well, hopefully he will get better real soon. Our prayers go out to you.


Karen

Anonymous said...

Praying that Wednesdays is cath day!! And...for you and Dan to get your rest. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Dan. I'm so glad to hear that Elijah's last hospital stay went well and he is home and doing fine. I will keep you all in my prayers. He is a lucky little boy to have such wonderful parents. Love Aunt Marsha