Sunday, August 29, 2010

Another fulfilling weekend with my little ones

With Dan working so much lately, I can occasionally get a glimpse of what life is like for single parents. I admire single parents so much more than I ever have. It takes a ton of patience, energy and organization to care for two little people alone.



Summers are a bit tough on us as a family (especially this summer, with all of our huge changes). Dan is a skydiving instructor during the summer months, so he is at the dropzone from early in the morning until sunset as long as the weather is cooperative. Our situation is something we have all come to accept, even though it would be so much nicer if he were around more. I hate to wish summer away (because it seems so short here in Minnesota), but I am looking forward to the skydiving season winding down. We miss Daddy!



I have to say that there is something strangely satisfying about "doing it all" alone the majority of the time. And I love the close bonds I have formed/continue to form with my boys because of all of our together-time. At the end of the day I am very tired, but I somehow love that weary feeling because it means I had a productive day of being the best mama I could be.

As each weekend passes that I am a mother of two, I become more comfortable. This weekend I braved the grocery store, the pharmacy, the movie store and Target with my boys! And it all went great. I am learning some good time-saving and tear-reducing tricks that help out tremendously, like: leaving my car unlocked when I go into a store so I don't have to fumble with keys on my way out, and only leaving the house when Sam is well-rested and has a full belly, and having a rattle in my purse for the check-out line when Sam tends to cry, and having a chat with Elijah beforehand about being a good boy, and always parking directly next to cart stalls if they are available, and having everything super duper organized in my head before I go into a store so there is no lost time, and keeping my car keys in my pocket so I don't have to dig through my purse in the parking lot.

All of the thinking and organizing and planning can be tiring, but it is also rewarding and satisfying. We miss Dan a lot, but we get by just fine and I am learning some valuable lessons as I learn how to be the best mama that I can be!

6 comments:

Liora said...

Wow, sounds like you really want your car stolen ;-) Why don't you just put the keys in the same place everytime so you know where they are? I have five kids under five and it works best to put the keys in my right pocket everytime so I never have to fumble for them.

Kathy said...

GOSH...I am a few posts behind...and I LOVE the new header!

I LOVE E's bedhead hair!!! he's a wildman!!!

I know that I say it all the time...but, I do really wish we lived closer to you guys!
You're a supermom...and those boys are lucky to have you.

Sarah said...

I can relate to your single mom appreciation. My hubby work does not have an end time everyday - the day ends when the work is finished. He is also on call once a month. At the end of the alone days I always think of how glad I am that I don't ALWAYS have to do it by myself.

Kerry Tylenda-Emmons said...

I just gotta say that I love Elijah's crazy hair! Ha! And you're right, we don't live that far away, we totally should meet someday :)

jencooper said...

The sunglasses on the top of the head? Swoon! So flipping cute.

I am glad that things are going so much better!

Cecilia said...

You are a superb mama because you are so well organized and planned, Megan!

Yeah Elijah looks so cool with his crazy hair and cute little sunglasses!!!