Sunday, September 26, 2010

Croup: Season 3, Round 2



As I drove the little boys out to the dropzone with me for the night last night, I kept trying to figure out why I was feeling unsettled. I mean, I had a crab feed to look forward to and I would get to see friends I haven't seen in a long long time and I am always nothing but excited to spend time out there.

Then I realized what it was. Croup. I hate the way this stupid illness holds me captive. How I feel unsettled even being away from home overnight because I am afraid of what might happen if Elijah were to get an episode. I always bring Elijah's meds with us everywhere we go, and last night was no exception. But I still didn't feel right about something.

And my instinct was right because Elijah had a terrible four-part croup episode last night. He woke up at about 11:00 having trouble breathing. We gave him his epi neb and he seemed to be much better after that, so we put him back to bed. Repeat this process four times, except without the epi neb. The third time was so bad that Dan finally just took him to the hospital to get a shot of steroids. Unbelievably, it happened one time after that, so Elijah and I sat in the hangar and did another neb (different medication). He even threw up during one of his episodes, which he has never done before.

It was honestly hell. I hate this illness! Hate it hate it hate it. On the drive back home this morning, I had a near panic attack (this hasn't happened in a while) and I had to pull over to calm myself down. Yuck.

We were so sleep-deprived that Dan had to take the day off work. We all washed the vomit from our bodies and took giant naps. We are all (except Sammy) coughing and feeling a little bit droopy today.

At least I know have killer instincts!

5 comments:

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

I'm so sorry!!! Prayers going up for you all tonight. Give Elijah a big hug for us!!

Kendis said...

Oh my, Megan! I'm so sorry that happened. What a tough situation, I'm glad that both you and Dan were together to help each other through. Here's hoping to a better week and some shut eye. ....

mina said...

Poor Elijah! I know you must be ready for him to outgrowth croup. Trust me, it WILL happen, eventually. I hope soon!

Sarah said...

And Thank God for those Mommy instincts! So sorry he had such a horrible episode. I get very frantic but in routine sort of way - if that makes since & talk a lot, mostly to myself. Evans episodes always include vomiting - if he coughs more than once, he vomits. He is 6 & call it what you want - it's been the same since he was little. Elijahs episodes sound so scary... Saying prayers that tonights a better night.

Cecilia said...

Hope you all are feeling much better today!

Sending our love and blessings your way.

Give Elijah a big hug for us.

Have a nice and peaceful week!