Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fathers know the important things

Last weekend I was squished in my seat in the Otter, waiting to get to 13,000 feet so I could jump out of the icky hot airplane. The only way to keep mildly comfortable when sitting in a packed Otter is to turn your body slightly "downhill" and put your arm around the person next to you. I had my arm around the guy next to me, who I had seen around the dropzone off and on for the past few years, but who I knew nothing about. I didn't even know his name. I started thinking about that and realized how ridiculous it was. I had my sweaty arm wrapped around this guy, I was breathing in his ear, snugly squished in next to him like a sardine, and I had probably been in the same position with him a dozen other times. And I didn't know his name?!

A few years ago Dan and I lost a friend. I remember being at his memorial and seeing his friends and family celebrate the life that he had lived. I vividly remember having the thought, How sad that we waited till after he's gone to celebrate this wonderful person. He was one of the most generous, selfless, kind people all of us had ever known. I wish I had told him what I thought of him before he died. A few weeks after his death, I sent him an email, obviously knowing it would never be read, but I told him what a good friend he had been to Dan and me and that I appreciated his kindness and generosity and that I wished I would have said all of that much sooner.

Now that I'm a mother, things like this have much more meaning. These are the concepts I want to teach my son. I want him to accept and love everyone. I want him to take the opportunity to really know people and make them feel special. I want him to be able express himself comfortably with the people he loves. The only way to give him the chance to do these things is to set a good example for him.

MY father has been THE absolute best role model for everything I just mentioned. He would never sit on a plane next to someone and not know his name, what college he went to and what his favorite sports team was within 30 seconds (of course, you'd never find him on a plane period, especially a skydiving plane). He never passes up an opportunity to tell people how much he loves them or how proud he is of them or to give them a big, sincere hug. He genuinely wants to know everyone he meets and he instantly makes them feel loved. He is friendly, kind and considerate to every single person who crosses his path, with ZERO exceptions. As far as I'm concerned, these are the really important things in life. All that really matters is how you treat the people you share this world with.

Thanks for being such a good role model for my son and for me, DAD, and Happy (early) Father's Day! I love you! (Have a safe trip across the country this weekend!)

Elijah says:
jsssssssssss;a'''   '';'          kd;wqle

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan, this was such a sweet post. Our world has come to this, where we all are are expected to keep to ourselves, not to meddle, or be nosy. At least, this is how I see it. I'm glad there are people like your father still around who are willing to speak to a complete stranger and make this world feel a little more connected.
Elijah, you go, Boy! You look so beautiful and I'm so proud of you and your progress! Your haircut looks pretty amazing too. xo

Kathy said...

Megan...you are such a sweetie!!!
What a special dad you have...
thanks for such a loving post...all things that we should be mindful of.

Lots of love,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your dad is going to love your post. I'm also pretty darn sure he'll be thinking "yep, I really did something right!"

Love the new pics...at least you can pretty much count on him not still lying around on the floor all the time when he's grown up so he's got to start moving sometime! (oh, wait...when he gets to be a teenager he'll start lying around again...ask Kathy about that one)

Love ya!

Cindy

Tina:0) said...

Your Dad sounds like a wonderful man & superb role model! Everyone should be so lucky to have such a person in their lives.

I just loved the note from Elijah! Vaeh has tried many times to leave a note, but its usually in the middle of my post - LOL! I'll have to give her her space next time she tries!

Hope you have a great weekend & all the Dad's in your life enjoy their day!

((HUGS!))

Anonymous said...

beautiful! I love it. when should we expect the names of your diving friends???? :^)
amber

Samantha said...

What a great dad you have! This was so sweet!

Love ya!
Samantha

Kathy said...

Just checking back in with you...

I would like a new pic of Elijah please!

AND...Happy Father's Day Dan!!!
You're a great dad...and we just LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing about you and your adventures!

Enjoy your day!
Kathy

Unknown said...

Happy Father's Day Dan!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! We are so blessed to be apart of a wonderful skydiving community. Never in my life have I been around people who only expect one thing from you: Be NICE and love each other. That's one of the main reasons I have stayed around for 15+years - - -and as you know I don't even skydive! I LOVE YOU GUYS! See you next weekend.
Happy Father's Day to all you fabulous dads! Especially the heart baby dads. You guys are amazing. Meg and Eli - give daddy a extra smooch tonight!
Hugs,
Tam