Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Strong-willed


Doing two of his favorite things...munching on his bottle and lying on his back, not moving a muscle

Elijah is getting much better about rolling and being on his belly. Finally! I try not to get caught up in worrying too much about it because I know crawling and walking will all happen in its own time. It is nice to see progress, though. It's slow, but we're definitely moving in the right direction. Do you have any idea how many cartwheels I'm going to do on the day Elijah crawls for the first time??!

I only got to spend a short little bit with the chubster tonight because he only took a 30-minute nap all day, which means that he was ready for bed at 5:30! AGghghhhh! Days like this are hard and make the work week that much more difficult for me. I need my solid two hours a night with him or I get grumpy and by Friday I'm missing him like mad. He did eat an awesome dinner for me before crashing, though! I made spaghetti and he kept gobbling it down and opening his mouth back up like a little fishy.

He seems to be getting confused with the sign language lately. He signs ALL DONE for just about everything. He will pause, look at his hands like, THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT, and then just look at me. We're working hard on it, so hopefully things will start to click soon.

Recently we have really noticed Elijah's very strong will. We have always known he's been strong-willed since he's been such a superstar at recovering from some major things, but now we have more proof. He already knows how to push buttons (refusing to eat, nap, roll and move when he knows we want him to) and we are going to have some serious challenges ahead. Bring it on! I love that we're dealing with these things. We could be dealing with much much worse. I'm so thankful that he is here with us. I appreciate every second, every challenge, every little thing. I love this kid.

11 comments:

Colin's Blog said...

I really think that moving is really difficult for these heart babies. I feel like Colin is being stubborn too but, his therapists tell me all the time that he tries so hard every session. It's just slow progress.

I guess we just need to be patient!! (So much easier said than done!) Tim and I talk about throwing a party when Colin finally walks!! They'll get there and yes-we'd rather be dealing with this than being in the hospital!!

Kathy said...

Stop pulling his pants up to his chest...he's going to get you guys for that!!!

He's SO stinking cute!!! These guys know that they have us WRAPPED around their little fingers...and we can't do anything about it! I just hope that Isaac will walk before Kindergarten...that's my goal! (and I don't even care if it's walking with a walker!)

Hope you get some more smoochy moochy time with the little man tomorrow!

Thanks for the update..he always makes me smile!

Love,
Kathy

jencooper said...

I am with Kathy.....he looks a little like Urkel....but an ADORABLE one!!

Strong willed? Your kidding! I think that is a must for heart kiddos. My Gracie is just as bad!

Now, if Elijah could teach Gracie to eat and Gracie could teach Elijah to crawl.....they would be a perfect pair!

He is so so so so so so so cute. Thanks for the cutie cute picture!! I hope that you get some good loving tomorrow.

<3,
Jennifer

PS - The LOST theory was a little much, huh? It totally bogged me down!

The Portas said...

I always do the Urkel look on Elijah before bed! Pull the pants up nice and snug.. :) I love it, but I'm sure some day he will be saying MOOOoooommmm!!!! What were you thinking?

Tina:0) said...

I have to chime in with the Urkel annalogy! But you're right, he is just soooo darn cute!

I think that going through this journey with these special kiddos does make every moment something to be thankful for. I just love the fact that Vaeh is FINALLY starting to eat some by mouth vs. all straight into the belly! Most mom's (myself included with Gabby) are neat freaks. Now - I could care less if Vaeh gets messy! If anything good can come of traveling this road I think it just makes me more thankful for the small things!

Give the little man some love from us here in Ohio! Hopefully you get your Elijah time in tomorrow night!

((hugs))
Tina:0)

Anonymous said...

Meg, You are the awesome~est Mommy! I love your positive attitude!! Both you and Elijah (and Dan) are so inspiring!

Lisa

Samantha said...

You are going to have your hands full with this one (are there any plans to bring a brother or sister in for this totally amazing little boy?) Just curious, because each additional child adds a new level of stubborn to the pot!

That is so cute that he is getting confused with his signs and looking at his hands all lost. He is just the most precious little boy! I want to squeeze those adorable cheeks! As I am typing this the picture from sweetness is right under the comment box and I must say I think that may be one of my favorite pictures of him...it just screams his personality!!!!

Stay dry...it looks like more wet weather is headed y'alls direction today...

Love ya!
Samantha

Unknown said...

I have to agree with everyone...Megan pull those pants down. LOL!!!He's adorable no matter what.

Poor thing had such a rough 1st year he is just enjoying his new found energy. He'll start moving soon. Keep up the good work Megan!

mina said...

Strong willed, hmmmm, he's not a heart kiddo is he, by any chance? THEY ALL ARE! At least that seems to be the consensus. Don't worry about the crawling, he has mommy and daddy wrapped arund his finger, it's easier just to lie there and get what he wants. He'll crawl when he's good and ready. For now, this is the life, ahhhh!

Ann(ie) said...

Ben's pants fit him the same way because he's so stinkin long waisted. He's got this long torso and short little legs! We have such cute boys!! ;)

And I know what you mean. It's so hard to get home from work and they are heading to bed. There have been many nights when I burst into tears and haul out the wine.

xo.

Ehlan said...

he is just too adorable...