Monday, June 23, 2008

Growing man

I felt pretty yucky for most of the weekend, so I headed back to the hospital on Sunday. My xray showed no indication of an obstruction being present, so that was good news. Now if only I could start feeling a little bit better. They didn't see a need to keep me there, thankfully, so I'm back at work today. This coming weekend I'm planning on meeting my favorite girls in the world in Okoboji for some much-needed girl time (thanks Julie and Virg for letting us stay at your beautiful house on the lake!), so I'm praying that I feel 100% by then.

Within the past week or two, Elijah has gotten really feisty and assertive. I think he's letting us know who he is as a person and trying to communicate more. We have heard high-pitched screams that we've never heard before and he is not shy about letting us know if he is unhappy about something. Dan and I often find ourselves looking at each other like, What is he doing? What happened to our sweet baby? Although sometimes frustrating, it is fun to see him grow into his own unique little person.

We're still working with him on signing and talking, but he hasn't made a whole lot of progress. He knows the signs for ALL DONE and MILK like a champ, but that's about it. When I ask him to say "Daddy," he usually says, "Ba. Ba." He sometimes says "Mama" correctly. A lot of the time, both words come out as "Mamba" or "Bamba." It's cute because he always looks so proud of himself.

We are making great strides in gross motor development, though! He is still crying his head off when we make him get to a toy on his own, but he will usually scooch over to it through the tears.

In the past week, he has started pointing his finger at things he wants, giggling at the puppies he sees in the neighborhood, chugging his juice/water from his sippy cup (finally!), taking 2-hour naps (finally!) and throwing the food that he doesn't like onto the floor. Every week brings new, fun things. I love it!

10 comments:

Samantha said...

What a wonderful post! Elijah is growing into a "typical" one year old full of independence and opinions! What a sweet little boy!

Even better news that there was no obstruction in your xrays! YAY!!! I hope that you start to feel better really soon so that you can enjoy your girls weekend...you deserve it BIG time!

Hang in there with Elijah's speech. All of my kiddos have speech issues but they are all getting the hang of it...some just take longer than others. I think the worst part of the speech delays has to do with the frustration that everyone feels when you cannot be understood or when the parents cannot understand. It will get better...I promise!

Lots of love!
Samantha

jencooper said...

Way to go Elijah!! I am so proud of you from moving through your tears. You are making some great strides. I think that you were worried that the little 15 pound girl was going to come up north on whoop up on him! :)

I hope that you are feeling better today...maybe it was just a really bad stomach bug? Ugh - I can only imagine how miserable you must have been!

Keep up the great work Mr. Independence!!

<3,
jennifer

Kathy said...

OH...I hope you start feeling better! And a girls weekend..I AM JEALOUS! (as always!)

Mr. Man has a personality...too funny! There's no need to talk...you guys know what he wants..he knows that. (my Eli was like that...and he didn't have a reason not to ask for it!) Maybe it's all the "Eli's" out there...they are STINKERS!!! But, you can't say NO to their cutie pie smiles!

Take care.
Thanks for the updates!!!
Love,
kathy

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to hear Elijah is doing well and has made so much progress after his heart surgery. It's amazing how he's able to be more active and make more noises now that his heart works better. It's like he was this feisty person all along but he was just too tired to show it.

And, finding out that you do not have an obstruction must have been a majore RELIEF! Thank goodness!

Take care of yourself and the little buggers.

xo

Sarah said...

So sorry to hear that your still not feeling well... hopefully it clears up so you can enjoy your girls weekend! Elijah - you are getting so big!

Tina:0) said...

Glad that there's no obstruction, but hope that you start to feel well soon! Can't have a girls weekend with a not so goo feeling tummy!

Elijah sounds like a 'normal' kid! Isn't that the best thing you can label them - 'normal'! I just love calling Vaeh that! I know all about the screeching & pointing... That's Vaeh's main form of communication at the moment, although she is starting to pick up a few words each week! Just thing before you know it, he'll be talking & won't stop!!

Thanks for the update! I was starting to go through Elijah withdrawl! Take care!

Lots of luv & hugs!
XOXOXO

Ehlan said...

Hope you are feeling better soon! And glad to hear that Elijah is doing such fun things! I want to hear that Bamba! :)

Colin's Blog said...

Feisty is very good!! Isn't wonderful that he finally has enough energo to get mad???

I hope you have a wonderful time with your friends and that you start feeling better.

Thanks for backing me up on the socks!! Tim thinks I'm such a freak!!

Anonymous said...

It really must be a boy thing! Feisty is a great word for them! And, we go through alot of that throwing the food on the floor when he doesn't like it stuff. That's why we got a dog! :) My favorite is when Jake looks right at me while he's doing it like he's saying "c'mon, I dare you to do something about it!". I think we have sooo much more to look forward to with these little guys!

I'm so glad your x-ray was ok..now we just need you to actually feel better!

Thinking of you guys and sending lots of love!

Cindy

Tiffers said...

Well, I go out of town for a week and you get sick. You must have been terrified. Glad to hear there is no block. I had gall stones after my first child...very painful. Don't worry about Eli, he is growing up. I know it is tough for them (and us) not to be able to communicate. Remember to breathe. Lamaze comes in handy during this stage. Have fun with your girlfriends.

tiffany