Sunday, December 6, 2009

Elijah Spunkman Porta


Elijah's fancy chair and desk. :)

Apparently pregnancy equals motivation for me because I could not stop myself from being productive all weekend. Laundry, cleaning, Christmas shopping (almost done!), organizing...I was a crazy woman!

Another strange thing that appears to be happening (because me wanting to clean all the time IS strange) is that Elijah is needing less sleep and he seems to have more energy to exert by the day. We are still dealing with very early wake-up times (this morning was 4:45, woohoo!) and it really doesn't seem to affect him much. He gets a little tired and grumpy by nap time, but is otherwise the spunkiest little boy I know.



He loves to shut himself in a closet (or bathroom, or laundry room, or any room) and yell out at us, "PEEEK-A-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" That is our cue to come tickle him and have a gigglefest. Then it starts all over again and if it were up to him we would repeat this 5,309 times. Sometimes we have other things to do, though, so we get the sad Elijah face. Or the kicking and wailing and hitting.

Elijah's speech continues to blossom and we could not be happier about this. He is now saying 3-4-word phrases and he has also started including verbs in his speech. Like, "Daddy geddin' wipes!" or "Mama goin' 'a store!" Six months ago we never imagined he could possibly be where he is at now with his speech. He has totally blown us and his therapists away with all of this amazing progress.



Two months ago we had a plan to put him into a special education pre-school program once he turns three. Back then it was almost certain that he would qualify since he would need obvious assistance in two areas: gross motor and speech. Now that his speech is developing so rapidly, we don't know that he will be eligible for pre-school anymore. This is GREAT because it means he is doing really well. At the same time, we would really like for him to be a part of the pre-school program that I believe could really be good for him. We will find out for sure on December 17th when we get the results from all of the testing he has been going through lately.

This week is a busy week at work that concludes with our winter company sales meeting on Friday and Holiday Party on Friday night. Elijah will be spending the night at Grandma's house on Friday night so Dan and I can (hopefully) sleep in on Saturday morning after a long week. Yeah right, I'll be awake at 5:00!

I forgot to mention that Saturday was Dan's birthday! He turned 31! We did some fun things and even got out for a Dan-Megan dinner while Elijah had a blast at Grandma's house. I will have to write more about that later. Elijah has a new appreciation and love for Dan's parents and I LOVE THAT.

Ok, enough for now. Have a great week, everyone, and thank you so much for checking in on our spunky little boy.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh he is doing so good, That is so good his speech is picking up so fast. I hope he is still able to quilify for speech. Good luck

mina said...

That has to be the cutest reindeer I've ever seen :)

Unknown said...

Too Cute! Have a great week and weekend! Cara

Cecilia said...

I agree, that has to be the cutest reindeer I've ever seen !!!

Sending belated birthday wishes your way to Dan!

Take good care of yourselves!

Have a nice week!! xoxo

Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing such CUTE spunky boy pics!
Those would be great on the front of your xmas cards!

Happy late birthday Dan..hope it was a great one!

Look at you...organizing...cleaning...is that what I need, a baby bump to get my bum in gear??? Dang...Joe might think about that one!!!

I hope you have a low key week Megan...
It's cold here.
I'm not going to rub in any great weather.
Smooch on that cutie pie for me!
kathy

Tracy said...

Wow, Elijah sure is doing fantastic ... such amazing progress! And you - holy cow, you're going to tire yourself out!! I wish I had your energy & motivation to get things done ... and I'm not pregnant!

jencooper said...

Seriously...could he be ANY cuter? I am loving those pictures of that little cute pie!!

I hope that you enjoy date night...and sleeping in!!

Happy late birthday to Dan!!

Way to go on all of the major milestones in speech! Amazing!!

Tracy said...

Hi Megan, for the past month or so I've been getting a few strange comments posted on my blog by an anonymous reader (which I didn't publish), so I've decided to change my blog to "invite only". If you'd still like to follow me along (which I hope you do!), please send me an email to tracyboudreau@eastlink.ca with our email address. It may take me a bit to figure out how to do it all, so please be patient! :) Thanks.

Unknown said...

He is such a cutie pie! I'm so happy to hear about his speech. It's amazing how much our kids can develop in 6 months. I hope you get the news from the school that you want. Arianna was approved for just speech therapy but the doctors dont want her at the school. Hopefully we can get a one-on-one teacher and she can still go.

Happy Belated Birthday Dan! Glad you got some time together.