Wednesday, March 12, 2008

AHA

I've gotten a few emails from people about something that I'd like to bring up here. This year we are walking in, and raising money for, the American Heart Association Heart Walk that is taking place here in Mpls. Some people have expressed that we should NOT be supporting the AHA because they don't put all of their money toward children's research.

Yes, a small percentage does go toward children, but a "small percentage" for the AHA isn't peanuts. Yes, I realize that there are other organizations who put ALL of their money towards children's research (I love Children's Heart Foundation and we do donate $$ to them!) and yes, I realize that the AHA has a lot more ground to cover when spreading out their resources.

Not only are we doing this walk in honor of Elijah, but also in honor of Dan's dad, who also has heart disease and who has dealt with a lot in his life because of it (and he's not overweight and he's not a smoker). Dan's grandpa died at 42 from a heart attack (not overweight and not a smoker) and no one ever knew he had heart disease! Sooo.....I'm sorry if our involvement in the Heart Walk has offended those of you who "hate" the AHA, but unfortunately, as Portas, this organization is and will be an important part of our lives forever.

Besides, it's fun to gather friends and family and walk in honor of the people who are beating the disease!

I apologize for the hostile post, but really?! I was a little shocked to get ripped apart for trying to do a good thing and support a good cause. It's amazing that people would try to make me feel bad about that.

With that all said, please help us out, if you feel so inclined! We're excited to see all of you who can make it on April 26th. We're trying to come up with fun t-shirt ideas. If you have a good idea, please share!

14 comments:

lauriegodfrey said...

How irritating! Do these people not also realize that hopefully someday that children that have heart defects will become adults with heart defects?

Anonymous said...

My Dad walks in the heart walk every year for the hospital that he works for which is a leader in cardiac care in the Phoenix area. Knowing someone who works in the marketing and recruiting department for a hospital I can tell you that there is a lot more to cardiac care than just focusing on one area of it. In order to recruit and obtain the best staff you need to have an awesome facility, equipment and support staff and that all costs money. I say walk on!!

Kathy said...

Who made you so upset Megan??
I'll get them!!!
PLEASE...any charity is a good charity...especially a heart one!!
Keep up the good work!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that, Meg. It's like anything, there are always people who feel like they have the right to poke their noses in and make judgements. It's always like that so just stick to your guns and keep going.
Ellen

il Dan said...

Every little bit helps, even if that means giving some money to the supposedly big, bad AHA. As Megan said my Dad suffers from heart disease (and is not a fat, smoker) and my Grandpa died from it (he was actually only 42 and his Dr had just told him he wished he had his heart...this was before a lot of knowledge on cholesterol). Granted big organizations aren't perfect, But they do raise A Lot of money that is put to good use. Just because a large portion of that money goes to adults and a decent amount of them are irresponsibly unhealthy doesn't mean we shouldn't do what we can for the others. Besides, whoever said helping out an irresponsible person was bad? All of us would be in trouble if we lived by that.

jencooper said...

Are you kidding me? Seriously? I am so sorry that you have to defend yourself for your choices. Walk on Portas! You have my support from down here in Texas!

Lots of love,
jennifer

Erika said...

UGH.

I can't stand how judgmental people can be - I've come up against some real attacks from others in the heart community for choices we've made. It's so frustrating! And here you are, doing a GOOD thing and they're attacking you? Pardon my language, but WTF?

And the first thing I thought, Laurie already said: these kids will grow up to be heart adults, and then we'll be happy there was research done!

Good for you for doing something good for a good cause.

Samantha said...

WOW! I cannot believe that people would actually go after you for supporting the AHA. That is crazy.

I won't personally give to them (but I do not have any other ties to the heart world but CHD), but that should not give anyone the right to go after you for doing this. WOW...that is all I can say.

I think you guys are amazing, and you should not have to explain yourself for your reasons. Ug...some people!

Sorry that you are so upset by this...big hugs to you my friend! And, good for you for doing this!

Love,
Samantha

Katie S said...

I know people who are smokers, eat too much, maybe drink a little too much and those who live a completely healthy lifestyle and all have heart issues. Thank God the AHA cares about all of us, especially innocent babies! JERKS!!!

TimnKatienElinSam said...

We will be walking right with you Megan! I know how frustrating it can be....we were criticized for supporting the March of Dimes. Every organization that helps also has shortcomings. Does that make the good stuff less good? And I, for one, am very supportive of the organization that supported the research that helped my babies to be born at 29 weeks and be perfectly fine. I hear you!

Sarah said...

This summer will be our 4th year participating with our Team Brave Hearts in raising funds and awareness for CHD's through the AHA. I too have been questioned as why and told I should change groups to one that was more CHD oriented. We did some investigation and although the AHA only gives a % to CHD research, that % is still more than others. I've been very proud to be a part of this and also to see the awareness of CHD's we bring to these bring events (isn't that part of it)? I'm with you Megan!

Anonymous said...

OH MY...judgemental people suck! You guys are doing what's right for you and your family. People need to just lighten up and let others live their lives. Where do these people live? I want to toilet paper their houses.........

---luv, Kendis

Unknown said...

I have had people tell me the same thing and like you guys we have other family members fighting heart disease. And your so right about it being a "small percentage" but 10 million is better than nothing..right? We too are participating in the Heart Walk and I'm so happy you guys are too!

Ann(ie) said...

When I did the Breast Cancer three day people took issue with that, too. **shaking head**
I applaud you and your efforts. xo.