Wednesday, March 19, 2008

We are home

We just got home and settled in. We spent Elijah's last 6 hours in the hospital taking turns holding him in the rocking chair (because that was the only way he was mildly happy). He was a pretty crabby boy and he was VERY congested. I think last week's cold compounded with the breathing tube down his throat for a few hours all made a bunch of gunk settle in his little chest. I've never heard him so gunky before! He gulped down a bunch of apple juice and even some milk in the hospital. Oh, and about a million graham crackers. His sats stayed right around 70% and he didn't throw up once, so they sent us home! Yay!

Tomorrow we will get an official surgery date that will probably be between two and three weeks from now. SCARY! Can you believe it? I can't believe it! It has all happened so fast! But what do we expect with our man, right? He does EVERYTHING sooner than expected because he's so awesome!

Elijah really was such a brave, strong boy today. What a little champ. He endured the poking and prodding very well and I'm very proud of him.

We got him home from the hospital and put him straight to bed. He was totally beat. He sounds SO GUNKY as he breathes, even when he's sound asleep. I hate it. It makes me nervous. I've never heard this level of gunkiness before! I don't think I'll be sleeping much tonight. Oh I can't wait to go to work in the morning!

Ok, here are some pics from the day. I have so much more love and respect for our amazing man after today. The things he goes through! He is incredible!


Bubbles! The savior of the morning, pre-cath. I am totally going to Target and buying bucketloads of bubbles.


There's a story here. (I had something else written here about this picture but Dan deleted it and threatened bad things if I rewrote it! How rude!) While we were in recovery today, Elijah HAD to be holding onto something at all times with his left hand (the only arm not occupied with IVs and wires). First it was the collar of my coat.


Then it was a cracker. If the cracker fell from his hand, he TOTALLY FREAKED OUT.


Then it was my cell phone. If the cell phone left his hand, he TOTALLY TOTALLY FREAKED OUT. It must have been a comfort thing? (Notice his red face in this pic. It was a delayed side effect from one of the medications he received while in the cath lab.)


Ok Daddy, my milk is way better than any of those things!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you guys all day but haven't been home by my computer! So glad things went well today and that you got to come home!! I'm praying his congestion lets up and he starts to feel better soon. Beautiful pics of him, by the way, and Mommy too!!! Will check in tomorrow to find out the surgery date news!

Take care,

Cindy

Kathy said...

Megan...you look beautiful! (Dan...looking handsome as ever also!)
PLEASE remind me about bubbles the next time we go in...I always forget that! What a great idea! (and a perfect picture!)
Thanks for taking the time to update us and posting the adorable pics!
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!
Hope the gunk settles...and you get some sleep!
Sending lots of love your way,
kathy

Krista said...

Yeah for home...that in itself is a huge testimony of Elijah and how awesome a trooper he is! Love the bubble picture.

I hope tonight goes well...maybe he'll still be out from some of the meds...but it's the two of you who need the rest! I'm sure it was a totally exhausting day.

Thanks for all the updates all day...you know we were all sitting by the computer just waiting to hear the news. God is in control...just remember that!
Sending hugs

jencooper said...

I know that it is soon - but just think how much better the Chunky Monkey is going to feel. He is such a cutie!! I am so glad that he breezed through the cath. He will breeze through surgery too. Keep us updated!!

<3,
Jen

Unknown said...

Bubbles..what a great idea! Thanks Megan. I love the pictures and as always you guys look great. Your lil' man is such a chubby adorable baby. I just want to pick him up and squeeze him.

Wow...2 weeks! Well just like you said, he likes to do things early. We know who has the ultimate plan and I know Elijah will do great during his next surgery.

God Bless,
Vanessa

Sarah said...

Elijah you look so cute... I'm so glad that things went well and you were able to go home. I hope that your congestion is getting better. We will be praying for God's timing in this upcoming surgery and his protection over you precious one.

Samantha said...

You are not allowed to talk about your nose...remember, you yelled at me just earlier this week???

Anyway, I just saw on the IM stuff that you are back in the hospital...please know that I am praying for you all!

You look terrific...and it is so precious to see you holding Eli! Thanks for pictures of you this time...by the way...he is such a chunky monkey, he is almost bigger than you...you skinny little thing!

Lots of love!
Samantha

The Portas said...

Oops! I forgot to update the IM. We are NOT back in the hospital!! I'm at work and the boys are at home. Elijah is doing great this morning.

Thanks for checking in everyone!

Andrea said...

I'm glad you are home and the cath went well. You seem to hold it together so much better than I do! I think it is so cute how he wanted to have something in his little hand for comfort. We should get our surgery date today too, so I'll be thinking of you guys today.

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear you are home with your sweet little man. What a trooper! Thanks for keeping us all updated. It means so much. Let us know when the surgery is in April. We are here to help and support you all! Elijah ROCKS!

Love you all.
Oh, BTW...you can get fun bubbles for the bathtub. Jetson loves them. He told me to share that bit of info with his friend, Elijah.

Ehlan said...

So glad it went well! Lots of prayers as you prepare for surgery!! Love the bubble pic also! What a sweet little man!

Samantha said...

Thank you Dan! Now that is an awesome husband...not letting the wife say bad, mean things about herself...and writing all about how beautiful she is! Again, can you please come and teach Jonathan how to be so nice!