Monday, March 3, 2008

We're home, Mama is sick and Elijah is not

I was worried about Elijah getting sick on vacation but it was ME who ended up getting sick! I woke up Sunday morning not feeling the greatest, but our frenzied day of travels made me mostly forget about it. It is HARD WORK traveling with a one year old. We had quite an eventful day on Sunday. We made our connecting flight in Cleveland (Elijah says, "Yay Indians! Don't tell my daddy I said that, Grandpa!") by a minute and lugged our luggage and a baby around with us and did everything in our power to keep him happy for seven straight hours. It was a tiring day, to say the least. This morning I woke up feeling like poo. I even stayed home from work and slept most of the day. I still don't feel wonderful, but I am feeling better.

I did manage to sit in on Elijah's session with his OT this afternoon. I'm glad I was there because the OT had nothing but reassuring things to say about his progress. When we told her that his O2 sats were running between 72-74%, she said, "WELL! It's no wonder the kid doesn't want to move anywhere. He doesn't have the energy!" She said his cognitive, social and speech skills are super and that, aside from gross motor, he is right where he should be. Moving around a lot is TOO MUCH for him right now. It's out of the question, actually. 70ish% sats are very low! It is very hard to function on that amount of oxygen running through your blood. He is conserving his energy, understandably. We have known this, but it was good to hear it from a professional. We're not going to push him to accomplish gross motor milestones until after he has had a chance to recover from surgery.

Elijah was a good boy on our trip. We do think he is getting his molars, although we don't know for sure because every time we try to look in his mouth he freaks out. He threw up once more on Saturday but hasn't thrown up since and has otherwise been just fine. We're not sure why, but he woke up EARLY every morning we were in Miami. I mean, early! A couple mornings he was up at 4:30! Needless to say, Dan and I (and Elijah) came home extremely sleep-deprived. Maybe that played a part in me getting sick, who knows.

We love to travel, so it is always hard coming home. It is good to be home, though. Ooohhhhh, we miss the beach! We're already planning where our next journey might be.

Some of our last pics taken in Miami:


Precious face









This is the only picture we got of him with his butt on the sand. He didn't like it. Can you see the little black eye? He fell on a hard toy in the hotel room and it poked him right in the face.








Hammock time with Daddy.

11 comments:

Samantha said...

Love the pictures as always. I am glad that you made it home safe and sound, and I am sorry that you are not feeling well Megan. That stinks! I hope that you get better quickly. I am glad that you have some reassurance from the OT about his conservation of his energy...smart boy! I am glad you took the day to recoup and hope tomorrow is much, much better.

Love,
Samantha

jencooper said...

Guess what!! We are covered in snow here in Texas!!! Our front yard is covered...and HUGE flakes are still coming down.

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling sick. That is no fun! You have to take care of yourself.

Can you please tell Gracie that she needs to conserve her energy?? She is satting about 68 and she is in CONSTANT motion!! She never stops moving.

Glad that you made it home safely.

<3,
Jen

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you don't feel good!! At least you got to be sick in your own bed today! LOVE the picture of Eli "gazing" at mommy with total love in his eyes! I had to go back and look at it again! Feel better!!!!!

~Cindy

Sarah said...

That last picture of your guy's is a good one! Sorry you feel bad and hope your doing better today.

Anonymous said...

Such cute photos! I hope you are feeling better soon! And glad you had positive reassurance from the OT :-)

Ehlan said...

Wonderful pics! My favorites and the second and the last...what are they looking at?

Anonymous said...

I agree with the other posters, the last photo of Dan and Elijah in the hammock is just so cute! It looks like you had a great vacation. Elijah is such a happy little boy, I can't help but smile when I see his photos.

Get well soon Megan!

Amy, Mitch & Wilson

Kathy said...

oh...SO CUTE! I don't Eli could get any cuter! All three of you...picture perfect!
I hope you start feeling better....I hope you're right about the lack of sleep...start slurping down the airborne!!!
Poor Mr. Elijah...too tired to move. Well..that's ok..you just rest, watch your veggie tales...and eat up little man!!! It's so hard being a cutie pie...that takes up a lot of your energy!
Glad the OT visit went good...we see ours for the first time in 2 weeks...can't wait to see what they say. (oh..he's not sitting, not rolling, not babbling...what are you doing with him all day??) Just joking.. (kind of!)
You guys should just move on south...into the sunshine...the Miami sun definately agreed with you!!! YOU LOOKED GREAT!
Take care,
hope you feel better soon,
Kathy

Unknown said...

I'm so happy you made it home safe. I don't want to even what it would be like to travel with Arianna right now. Hope your feelin better.

Anonymous said...

Just checking to see if you're feeling better?? Hope so!

~Cindy

Ann(ie) said...

OH my Lawd, those are too precious. Ben has that hat. I cannot wait until the sun shines again around here!!