Monday, June 22, 2009

BYE BYE (Elijah's favorite thing to say to doctors and nurses)


Did you say HOME?!

We made it home around noon today. It is so unbelievably nice to be out of the hospital. We ate lunch and took naps after getting home. I had been planning on going into work for at least a little bit today but I'm glad I didn't. I spent a lot of my awake time this afternoon crying and experiencing many mixed emotions that I'm sure my coworkers wouldn't enjoy experiencing with me.


Our quaint little 6th floor (side of the) room.

I was reminded how emotional I get after we get home from a surgery and hospital stay. I keep looking at Elijah, who you would never in a million years know just had major surgery, with total disbelief. His strength never stops amazing me. I keep thinking of the moments in the past week when I felt like it couldn't possibly get any worse and when I felt so overwhelmed and exhausted all I wanted to do was scream and cry. I keep thinking of all of the sick children in that hospital and I feel sadness that so many families have to suffer the hardship of having a sick child. I keep thinking about how different things are now. They always are. The three of us have endured yet another battle together, and we are even closer than we were before. I feel relieved that we have yet another challenge behind us. I feel overwhelmed about all of the love and prayers that have been sent our way in the past few days. As I look at yet another scar on my little boy's body, I feel sadness that he has had to endure so much. I feel exhausted.


Watching some tv before discharge.

I experienced some of my lowest moments during this hospital experience. This is something I didn't expect at all. Going into it, Dan and I figured that since it wasn't a heart surgery that it would be a piece of cake. Overall, it wasn't as intense as his heart surgery recoveries have been, but it definitely was no piece of cake. I am so happy to be done with this particular adventure. Onto other things!


Elijah is totally in love with the trucks that were sent to him at the hospital right before we left. Karen, the care package was so super thoughtful and sweet. Thank you soo much! Honestly, Elijah hasn't put the trucks down since he saw them. As I was getting them out of the packaging, he impatiently said, "GUCK GUCK GUCK" (translated: truck truck truck), until they were in his eager hands. The treats are great, too. Thank you so much!! We had a few other little presents/cards waiting for us in the mail that made me shed a few thankful tears.

Dan is heading to softball (no idea how he has energy for this), Elijah is heading to bed and I am heading upstairs to take a much-needed bath. I can't remember the last time I showered, so it will feel nice not to smell like dirty feet anymore.

Again, thank you to all of you for all of your prayers and love and for checking in on our sweet boy. We are so very thankful for everything.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you got the package before you left I was worrid about that. And I am so glad you are all in the comfort of your own home and not that ucky Hospital and there awfull food. So glad everything is getting better and he is getting around fine.

mina said...

Elijah IS such a strong little guy.

Yay, home!

Tina:0) said...

Yay... home sweet home! Glad you are back in comfortable surroundings!

Andrea said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you guys are home! I think you made a good decision to stay home from work too. I always need a decompression day when we get home from a hospitalization. Hang in there Mama! What a sweet, amazing boy you have!

cindy said...

I have been keeping up via my phone and haven't been able to update on blogs! I got my beat up laptop out so I would be able to tell you that we've been praying for you and I'm so glad this surgery is behind the little man! Lots of love and hugs to you guys, and am so glad to hear you're HOME!!!

xoxo
Cindy

Tiffers said...

Awesome, so glad you all got to go home. Have you gotten the results for his hearing and allergy tests? He is a fighter. Sometimes I think that Harrison's pacemaker must include Energizer batteries, cause he keeps going and going.

Have a good week!

Tiffany

Sarah said...

So glad you guys are home! It is amazing what a bath can do for you after an extended hospital stay.

Cecilia said...

I am so pleased you are at home. Elijah is such a brave and strong little warrior .

You are meant to be emotional after all those hard times at hospital. It was good for you to scream and cry, to get them off your chest and system.

Take good care of yourselves.

Sending all our love and blessings your way.

Lots of love from Ceci & Paul xoxo

Tricia said...

Welcome home to you all! I am so happy for you to have this past you.

Enjoy HOME - you deserve it! :)

The Domanicos said...

Oooh-he's such a cutie! He looks great for all he's gone through. So happy this surgery is behind you and that you can now enjoy the summer. Elijah is going to be running soon-get ready!!

PS-Love the crazy hair pics!