Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Perspective

I continue to feel like a basketcase today. This always happens. I take a crazy emotional roller coaster ride for a solid week following every surgery. I sat at my desk at work today constantly suppressing much-needed cry sessions. I heard someone gabbing on and on about the drama surrounding last night's Jon and Kate episode (I proudly know nothing about this show) and then I thought of all of the sick babies lying in hospital beds right now. Spending time in a children's hospital has a way of changing a person's perspective. Big time. When you see rows and rows of babies struggling to hold onto life, the little things no longer matter. TV shows, gossip, material possessions, none of that really matters.

I don't have any new pics, so I will choose another random set of numbers and grab an oldie from my archives. I picked my two favorite numbers, 23 and 11, which revealed this photo that was taken at my dad and stepmom's house in North Carolina in December of 2007..



Elijah is doing amazingly well. Like I said yesterday, you would never know what he has recently been through just by looking at him. He is tearing all over the place, being as spunky and funny as ever. He does this thing where he puts random things on his head (crackers, books, cars, whatever is in his hands) and yells, "HAT!" It makes us laugh, so he does it a lot. Today he was putting his cookie on his head and doing this. Then he decided that his cup of milk needed a hat, too, so he balanced the cookie on the cup and said, "HAT!" I love my silly kid.

More random numbers (9 and 18) revealed this photo, taken in October 2008 in the back of our friends Katie and Drew's (parked) truck..



I haven't mentioned that the hearing test that we had planned on having done during surgery never ended up happening. The surgery went so quickly that there wouldn't have been time for it anyway. We did get the immunology and allergy results read to us very quickly in a manner in which I did not fully understand, so I will follow up with Elijah's pediatrician about these. It was something like: one of his numbers came back low which typically indicates a susceptibility to allergies, but that he doesn't currently have allergies. Details to come on that..

Oh, and do you know what is crazy? We don't even do our neurosurgery follow-ups with Elijah's neurosurgeon. That guy is literally just involved in the surgeries. We follow up with The Voice in 3-6 months. Another crazy thing is that a repaired tethered spinal cord can re-tether. That is something to definitely pray against.

It is super hot and humid out today, so we are enjoying an evening inside. Please pray for continued good recovery for our precious little boy, and also for healing, health and peace for all of the babies/families at Children's Hospital right now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan, I was just telling Dan today that I never really let myself feel the full force of the situation with our Elijah until after he came home from the hospital. It's so weird. I think I was in survival mode while he was in the hospital and then when he came home and started to get better, that's when I allowed myself to feel everything. It sounds like you are going through some of that too. We think about you guys a lot and I will keep praying for you, Dan, and Elijah.

Tim, Katie, Sam and Elijah

Ann(ie) said...

oh sweetie, must be like post traumatic stress....you're on autopilot and then once you feel like you can breathe again your emotion comes out in full force. I know that's exactly what would happen to me. xoxo. And I'm with you about Jon and Kate + 8. **yawn**

Kathy said...

I'm so glad you're home.
I hope the roller coaster of emotions subside...you get off that ride....and get back to your "normal".

You have the bravest little man.
I can't wait to see new pics of him (and his crazy hair!)

Sarah said...

Being in the hospital definately changes your perspective. I have a love for all types of music and in my car yesterday I was listening to a gospel quartet group. Songs in particular touch me with their words. They could have a meaning completely different than the one that comes to my mind. For the life of me I can't remember the words today so, I'll have to post again later ; )

Unknown said...

I am so glad you guys are home, and I pray that he will continue to get better. I also hope things get back to normal for you, try and get some rest if you can.

Hugs coming your way.

Cecilia said...

I could imagine how difficult it is to look after a heart baby or a sick child at home. Good job Elijah has such wonderful parents to be there for him all the time.

I will keep praying for you guys.

Salute to you, Dan and all the heart mamas and papas.

Sending our love and blessings your way. xoxo

jencooper said...

I hope that you are feeling better today. I know that the roller coaster ride is no fun. I am praying for you to find some peace within yourself.

Thanks for sharing the pics of little Elijah. He is so incredibly adorable!!

<3,
Jennifer