Friday, June 19, 2009

Doctors



I posted this pic in my last post and didn't fully explain it. Elijah has great hair. Like, really really great hair. It is full of body and it is thick and he gets a ton of comments about it. Well, Elijah's heart surgeon, Dr. Moga, stopped in for a visit today (hmmm, the surgeon who performed his spine surgery hasn't even shown his face, not that I'm bitter or anything). Dr. M is super awesome and laid back and we had a really nice casual conversation. He asked how we were doing and then he caught sight of Elijah's hair and said, "Sweet, whoa! Look at that hair! He's making Moga jealous!" Elijah said his 2-year-old hellos to Dr. Moga, the man who saved his life (appointed by God), and batted his long lashes at him. It is so so sweet to see the look in Dr. M's eyes when he looks at our little boy. After seriously doting over our boy, Dr. M said, "With that hair, I think Elijah might be a newscaster!"

Speaking of surgeons, our neurosurgeon... Wow. So, apparently he is an excellent neurosurgeon (for which we are grateful) and that is about all. We have seen him walk by our room a couple of times but he hasn't bothered to stop by once. Instead, he has others stop by for him. There is one main doctor who keeps tabs on us for Dr. N. Dan and I call him The Voice. He is the one who communicates with the patients. He is very personable, and we are actually very thankful for him because he has explained things in much more detail than Dr. N ever has. Today we learned that Elijah's tether was "very tight," which means that it is probably going to feel very good now that it has been released.

We still have not gotten moved out of the PICU, at almost 9:00 p.m. It is a good thing we aren't easily riled up because we have literally been waiting around all day to be released from this prison. Ah well, we are so used to plans being made and postponed and changed and made and changed and on and on.. Dan is fast asleep in the recliner and Elijah has been sleeping sideways (perpendicular) in his crib for about an hour and a half. I am an insomniac lately so I am writing about all of our weird and awesome doctors! Stellan is still next door and is doing great. I had Chat #2 with MckMama tonight and I don't think she thinks I'm too strange for tackling her in the hallway today.

Ok, I guess I'll go read or something now. More tomorrow.. Thanks for checking in! We love you all!

12 comments:

Sarah said...

The doer & the voice - cracking me up! Evan has been spending time with daddy and me? Well I've been reading an amazing Mom and her baby Stellan - wow what a testimony for me. Do you have my #? If so call me if you need someone to chat with! Hugs

TimnKatienElinSam said...

So funny!! I guess some doctors are just really talented at what they do and recognize that they do not have the bed side manner, and leave it to those who do. I am just glad that you have someone to answer all of your questions. Just wanted to check in quick and remind you of all the people who love you guys and are praying hard! Your little boy has touched our lives so much! We cannot wait to get our boys together to play soon!

Big hugs,
the Yoders

Unknown said...

I hope you get some rest tonight.

I wanted to let you know I sent out a care package today. You should get it Monday if not Tuesday. I put it to Elijah's Attention and put the PICU on it. I got the address from Kathy and I also called the hospital.

Take care of that precious little man.

Love you guys.

Karen

mina said...

Glad you have 'The Voice' to communicate things for you. Maybe tomorrow you'll finally get out of the PICU! And Elijah's hair looks wild!

CouponChic said...

Megan...you crack me up!
ONLY YOU could make us laugh while having all the stresses of your peanut in the hospital! I hope they don't try to move rooms in the middle of the night (but...I have to say..they've done that to us before:(

I hope you get some rest tonight.
Do they still think he'll need to stay in the hospital for a week??

Unknown said...

I am so glad Elijah is doing better today and yes that boy sure has great hair! :)

That is awesome Elijah's heart surgeon stopped by to see him. Our heart surgeon doesn't even recognize me when I'm visiting at the hospital. lol!

Sounds like your neurosurgeon is like the one we have hear. They all say he is great in the OR but has horrible bedside manner.

I can't wait to see how well Elijah does once he recovers from surgery. I'm sure you will see a huge difference over time.

Get some rest. Hugs!

Tina:0) said...

At least you have "The Voice" to bridge the communication gap left by "The Doer." Sounds like the two of them make a good team:0)

I LOVE that hair, & yes, I would love to have it! I'll gladly trade my 'stick straight, flat, fine locks.'

So glad that he's doing well & resting comfortably. Sounds like he'll feel like a new man with the release done!

Give those curly locks a rub, & add in a hug from us!

my life: said...

You are so cute! (as is the "mane" attraction) :0)

Thanks to you...I dreamt about you last night! As you met Mck...I met you. I had like...8 kids. (promise, we are stopping at 5, I think) We were playing in your back yard, when you popped out to say...hey. It was crazy. Good times.

Love on him from me...tell him he's a total rock star!

Cecilia said...

Megan,

You really amazed me because you are the only one could make us laugh while having all the stresses in the hospital!!!

Glad little Elijah has a bunch of wonderful doctors and nurses to take good care of him. Hope he will recover soon.

Ohhh your little man's hair looks so cool, yes like a heavy metal rock star!!!

With all our love xoxo

Ceci & Paul

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan and Dan, we are following along and were glad to hear things were looking better, sorry all of you have to go through another hospital trip - it's rough. We will keep you in our prayers for a quick recovery and exit from the hospital with your little guy. He does have great hair!
Dave (Johnny's dad)

Rebecca said...

MckMama sent me over :)! Praying for Elijah...LOVE that air.

Praying you are out of PICU by now!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Kiss him for me...

xoxoxo

The Kings