Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day!









(I have to cheat the system a bit in order to get posts up while in the hospital, and one of the things I am unable to do is put captions under my photos. The top photo I took just a few minutes ago as Elijah was giving Dan a Father's Day kiss. The second pic is from when we were still in the PICU. It's a different perspective of the Amazing Hair. I apologize for the diaper exposure in the third pic, but I wanted to show you all that Elijah has been practicing yoga! The last photo is a happy-faced, video-watching little star, who we love so very very much.)

Happy Father's Day to my wonderful husband, who is also a wonderful daddy! Also, to both of our dads and to Dan's grandpa as well. And of course to the rest of the awesome fathers out there.

It's obviously not ideal to spend Father's Day in the hospital, but I can think of much worse things to endure (hopefully Dan feels the same way). Elijah and I have been trying to make it as special as is possible for him. We have a gift we'll be giving to him later, and I have been trying to get him to nap whenever possible.

I can easily say that we had the best night in the hospital last night that we have ever had. We bartered with the nurses/doctors and agreed upon only one middle-of-the-night vitals check (as opposed to the usual three or four) that none of us even woke up for. We didn't get another roommate, so we had the room all to ourselves. With Dan in his chair-sleeper on the north end of the room and me in mine on the south end and Elijah in between us, we all slept solidly until 6:00 this morning. We are hoping for more of the same tonight.

We have had a good morning. Elijah is hardly on any pain medication and doesn't appear to be hurting at all. He does this with heart surgeries, too. This kid endures pain well, or just doesn't experience much of it. We were able to pick him up for a bit and walk around the hall (avoiding the swine flu end) and gaze at the fishies and Elijah took a short nap on Mama's lap afterwards (ahhh, so nice to hold my boy).

The word on the street is that his catheter will come out in the morning and if he can urinate on his own after that, we will be sent home! Please pray with us for pee! This is awesome news. The doctor on the floor stopped by and said Elijah is doing amazingly well. He gave him an "A+!" The Voice said basically the same thing. We are so proud of our little man.

Thank you so much for checking in on us! We appreciate the love and prayers so very much. xo

11 comments:

The Portas said...

I feel the same my hot wife, I'm starting to like the hospital anyway. It's like a little getaway with food provided! Okay maybe not, but you're here and the boy is here and that's all that matters.

Blessed husband/father.

Cecilia said...

Happy Father's Day to Dan, a wonderful, loving and caring dad and husband!!!

I love all those photos especially the third one, a very cool pose!!!

So glad everything is going smooth with Elijah's surgery and recovery! I will pray with you for pee!!!

Have a nice day!!!

Love and hugs to you all xoxo

Tina:0) said...

WE WANT PEE!!! (LoL)

Happy Father's Day, Dan!

So glad to hear that he is making stellar grades! He looks great in those pics - just love that smile :0)

Praying for things to work out in the morning so you all can go home! Give him big hugs from us!

PS - I still want that hair ;0)

Kathy said...

Pee Elijah...Pee!
(I'm doing the pee pee dance as we speak!)

He's a SUPERSTAR!!!

Munch on him for us...
and Happy Father's Day Dan!

Anonymous said...

Alright, we'll pray for pee!
I was out of internet range all day Fri. and Sat up north and am so glad to see everything is going well! I love the pic of Elijah with the dvd player on his lap. That is such a big boy smile!
Happy Father's day, Dan!
I have to work tonight but was going to ask if I could come and see you tomorrow afternoon when I'm done working, but I'll have to check in first and see if you're still there! Hopefully not!
Keep on being such awesome and positive parents! We love you all!
xoxo
Ann Marie and Paul

ThePicks said...

Great news; hope for an uneventful night and being able to bust out of the hospital sometime tomorrow!

Love,
The RA

Anonymous said...

Prayers for a speedy trip home.
Love, Aunt Bunny

mina said...

Happy Father's Day!!!!

Praying for pee!

jencooper said...

I LOVE THAT KIDS HAIR!!

Just got back in town from being gone a week and I am playing catch up on my comments. I read and prayed while I was gone, but couldn't sign.

Here is to lots and lots of pee tomorrow!!

I can't wait to read an update that you are home!!

Happy Father's Day, Dan!

<3,
Jennifer

Unknown said...

Happy Fathers day Dan, I am so glad Elijah is doing better and not on as much pain meds. What good news. I hope things continue to get better.

Anonymous said...

We just got back from camping (which means no internet or cell phone reception) and I'm off to SD for another 3 days... but I just read all of your posts before bed. Wow, what an experience it has been. I love 'The Voice'...obviously, the doc knows where his strengths and weaknesses lie, thank goodness his strength is in medicine! Chris and I have been thinking of you guys all week and are hoping for more good news and that you can get home quickly. Elijah truly is amazing. We can all learn some lessons from him and from his mom and dad.....I'll be checking in later this week, keep your heads up, you guys are great! luv, Kendis