Friday, June 26, 2009

Giving up

I'm posting the same photo as yesterday because of its total cuteness.



I've decided to give up wondering if our little boy will catch a break because it is becoming evident that it's not going to happen. Elijah woke up this morning with a new set of all-over-his-entire-body rashes. Actually, they look like welts. They look awful. They are even on his face and ears. We also noticed that the stitches around his incision are red and appear irritated. I can't wait to get those out. Monday morning!

Dan called The Voice to see if he had insight about the mystery welts. He said everything that was in his body while in the hospital should already be out, so he had no guesses. As long as the rashes don't appear to be bothering him (they don't, thank goodness), he said not to worry too much. We cannot for the life of us figure out what could possibly be causing this! It is maddening. I love what my friend Pam called Elijah today: Bumpy Monkey. How perfect!

I'm going to do my best to accept the fact that it will literally be one thing after another with our Elijah. Maybe then I'll at least feel some peace about everything he (and we) must endure. Like.. Oh good, I'm glad it's strep throat because Human Werewolf Syndrome could have been next! Phew!

Changing the subject completely, Elijah's speech has been very encouraging lately. The other day he mastered the word CAKE. He likes to try saying a word and then I will say it, and we repeat this until he has it somewhat right. It goes like this:

E: [pointing to picture of a cake] Uck
Me: Cake
E: Ake
Me: Cake
E: Ock
Me: Cake
E: Guck
Me: Cake
E: Kuck
Me: Cake
E: Cake
Me: Cake!
E: Cake!

He also started saying CAR this week, and doing the sign for it as well (which is so super cute, by the way). Last night he was saying CARD, which actually comes out sounding like a bad word, so we will have to work on this one some more. His little mind is a sponge. He adores his letter books and he would sit with us and go through them a million times a day if we had the time. He has even sporadically been calling me MAMA. We'll get there! We are constantly so proud of our little man.

I really really wanted to get away this weekend. After a few days of hospital life and then after feeling like an emotional wreck during this aftermath, I want out of the city very badly. Dan will be working all weekend, so I was thinking I would pack up our things and drive somewhere, anywhere, with my sidekick for a night. Now with this new rash development, I suppose I should put that on hold. Who knows, though, maybe he will wake up tomorrow morning rash-free and the two of us will be off to California! Or maybe not quite that far.

Ok, I'm going to practice my giving-up skills now.. Oh goody, Elijah has an awful rash all over his body! That's great because Trichotillomania could have been waiting for him.

Dr. Moga wouldn't like for Elijah to have this disease, so I guess I will embrace you, Rashy!

8 comments:

mina said...

Sorry about the rash! Does it look anything like this:

http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/fifth-disease-erythema-infectiosum

or this:

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/dermnet/fifthdisease6.html

I hope you guys get a break soon! And the photo IS adorably cute!

Lauren said...

Poor little Bumpy Monkey! I hope his rash goes away soon.

Praying. =)

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

Hope he feels better soon... now you've got me hungry and I want a piece of cake!

my life: said...

Why was Indiana not the first place that popped into your head?!?
:0)
I will definitely use this theory for my life. "I'm glad it was just the car that broke down....my house could have burnt to the ground." huh...I DO feel better!
;0)
Hang in there!

Sarah said...

That stinks - or as Evan would say that's stinken! Eric is on call this weekend with no end of work in sight. We should meet half way!

Andrea said...

Sorry to hear about Elijah's rash! Poor little bumpy monkey! I love that adorable photo of him in his lobster shirt though! So cute! BTW, I totally vote for you to come out to California!

Cecilia said...

So sorry to hear about Elijah's rash, I will pray for him.

Take a short break if you can, it's good to recharge your battery and refresh yourself after an emotional week.

Enjoy the weekend with your little man.

Sending our blessings your way.

Hugs and kisses to you and Elijah xoxo

Cecilia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.