Monday, May 11, 2009

God is present

We survived another day in the hospital. Elijah did amazingly well. He hadn't eaten since 6:00 last night, and by 1:00 this afternoon he hadn't complained once about that. We really do have a good little boy. We are so proud of him.

As we waited for anesthesia to come talk to us about what would be happening, I started to feel some serious anxiety. I kept wondering if this was the right thing to do. There is likely nothing "wrong" with Elijah's brain or spine, so is it right to put him through trauma yet again? I said to Dan, "Are we doing the right thing here?" He said yes, but I was still unsure. And then! One of those God Moments happened. We know this anesthesiologist at Children's who we absolutely totally completely love and adore. He took care of Elijah during his last open heart surgery, his hypospadias repair and I think maybe a heart cath or two. This doctor is the definition of wonderful. Really, he has everything you could ever ask for in a doctor, especially a doctor who is going to be by your son's side every second he is in surgery, or in today's case, getting tests done.

So, back to the God Moment. At the height of my anxiety, Dr. Altman entered the room and I couldn't believe it. OH THANK YOU GOD OH THANK YOU THANK YOU. He sat down and talked to us and within minutes I knew this was good, it was the right thing, and everything was going to be ok. Dan mentioned to him that E's neurologist wanted bloodwork taken while he was sedated and Dr. A said that it was not on the paperwork anywhere. So this amazing man called our neurologist and asked him to send in the orders so we could get this done. Some new guidelines had been implemented two days ago that requires ONLY doctors to be able to write in orders for tests, so we needed the neurologist to be available promptly. He was, but there were some problems with getting the orders into the system, so Dr. A took it upon himself to write the orders out himself, as if he were the one requesting them, so we could get this done. This is not something most doctors would be willing to do, and he even told us that. We were so thankful for his willingness to go around the system a bit. He said to us, "There is no way I am going to make a two-year-old come back to the hospital, fully awake, to go through the trauma of getting bloodwork taken when we can take care of it while he is sedated." THANK YOU DR. A! Oh man, we sure were thankful to have him as a part of our life today.

The MRI went well. It took about two hours. Elijah woke from the anesthesia just fine. We met him in the hallway (being held by a nurse, he wasn't just roaming the hallway alone) after the procedure and he was happy to see us. After his heart caths he is always grumpy, so it was nice to see a smile when we walked around the corner. We had to sit in the short stay unit for about a half hour and then we were sent home. Elijah was starving. Within about an hour and a half after leaving the hospital, he had: three boxes of apple juice, a huge ziploc bag filled with chocolate teddy grahams, a stick of string cheese, a huge slice of pizza, a cup of milk and about a zillion mandarin oranges. I guess he made up for what he missed today!

Elijah went to sleep well and was in good spirits this evening. The sedation has made him just a tiny bit hoarse, but otherwise all is well! We hope to get the results of the MRI in the next couple weeks. He was clearly upset whenever nurses were near him, but otherwise, he did really well today. We have such a strong, amazing little man.

We had a little detour on our way home from the hospital. As we were walking through the skyway out of the hospital, Dan and I were practically skipping. I think I said, "Wow! That was the easiest discharge we've ever experienced. This day is AWESOME!" We got into the car and started to drive away, when....thunk thunk thunk.. Uhhhh, is something wrong with the car? I got out to look at the tires and sure enough, the right front tire was totally flat. Oh ugh.

We have these stupid hubcaps on our car (they came with the tires) that make it so you cannot access the lug nuts (forgive me if I get this terminology wrong) with a normal tire iron. So dumb. So Dan and I just stared at each other like, what in the world are we going to do??? He looked in the trunk, in which I believe God had placed a bottle of Fix-a-flat. Dan pumped it into the tire and we quickly drove away, in hopes of finding tire help before it deflated again. Children's Hospital is in a very sketchy part of town, so I was biting my fingers as we drove. Please God, please God, don't strand us in this part of town. We thankfully came upon a tire shop, and we were totally blessed to meet an amazingly nice man who put on our spare tire almost immediately, and for FREE. I think we will go back there and bring him cookies and any other treat he might like.

I loved how we handled it all, though. I was proud of us. We could have freaked out and handled that situation poorly, but we kept humor in it and handled it lightly and I believe that was a good example for Elijah to witness. It was a good day. Everything went as well as it possibly could have and we are so thankful for that. God was with us today and it was so obvious. It's amazing what you see when you keep your heart and eyes open!

Thanks for checking in. Pray for good MRI results for our brave little boy. We already know he is just perfect.

15 comments:

TimnKatienElinSam said...

Oh Megan,

Thank you for the update. I have been thinking about you guys all day. And yes, Elijah is perfect. Remember that to keep you calm through the next few weeks. The results do not change anything about your amazing little boy. I am so glad that you got through everything so smoothly. That neighborhood is rough....twice someone tried to get in my car at a stop light when our Eli was there.

We miss you guys and hope you can come down to Rochester for a visit soon. There is room for you guys to come down and stay for a night with Elijah, if you would be up for it.

Hugs,
katie and the boys

mina said...

So glad that the day went so smoothly, EVEN with the flat tire. Praying that the MRI results are great!

cindy said...

I'm so glad things went so smoothly with the MRI today. I will be praying hard for nothing but great results when they come in!

You guys were very "mature" about the tire thing. I totally would have been one of those "freak-out" people!!

Glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day. You deserve it! Give that sweet boy a big hug and kiss from us!!

Lots of love,

Ann(ie) said...

Beautiful news. I've been thinking about you guys all day!!!! xo.

Tina:0) said...

Isnt' it amazing how just when we need affirmation - He is there to give it to us?! So glad that the seation went well & you had the one Doc you trust - it makes it sooo much easier to deal with!

Praying for great MRI results! Give that little man love from us!

Hollie said...

So glad to hear that your day went well. I think I would have cried over the flat tire though! lol! I know that God does have a watchful eye and I'll keep you in my prayers for good MRI results!
Hugs,
Hollie

Kathy said...

Always...when I think I"VE had a crazy day..
you have to always show me up!
You are surely being watched after.

hug E for me...hope he gets his voice back soon...I know he has things to say!

Sarah said...

I Love to hear others God moments. I had tears when I read that your fav Dr. walked in. That is definately him saying, "I'm here, everything is okay." We will be praying for good readings from the MRI.

MDPhoto said...

Yay Elijah! What a strong little man!

Cecilia said...

Glad the hospital visit was good and smooth! I've been thinking about you guys all day. Little Elijah is such a strong little boy, give him a big hug from us!

Melanie said...

So happy to hear that all went well! What a wonderful doctor to make sure Elijah didn't have to endure any more pain. I love that story. Keep eating Elijah!!

Praying for good MRI results.

The Smith's said...

What a trooper! There were so many incredible parts of your day, so many ways God was evident ... even in how He kept Elijah content without food for so long. I'm so thankful it was a relatively easy procedure! we'll be praying for great results and that you and Dan would have peace in the wait!

Love,

Jesse

Tiffers said...

Glad you had a great experience at Children's. It is nice to have them. I love that hospital. You did the right thing. Most everything, if not everything, can be found on MRI's. We thought our 8 year old had mild CP and it ended up being a rare malformation, so we know those tests are godsends. Good luck and we will pray for the best news for you three. After hearing Harrison scream for an hour during carpool it was nice to read about your good day.

Tiffany

my life: said...

Man! I am way down the list of comments. :0)
So glad He showed up...I love it when it's tangible!
I feel like you one step a head of us in this genetic...Nuero...MRI journey. Unfortunately...Grace is not cooperating, who knows when we will get to see her noggin! :0)
Praying for peace during the waiting...so proud of that biggest boy!!!!
kisses from the midwest!!!!

Unknown said...

I pray for good MRI results. I hope he gets his voice back real soon poor little guy...