Friday, May 29, 2009

Unrelated tidbits

Not as much goo is spewing from Elijah's eyes and nose (yum! you're welcome!), but the coughing has gotten worse and he has practically no appetite. Overall he looks and acts like he is feeling a little bit better. Yesterday morning I came downstairs to go to work and Elijah was sitting on the living room floor looking up at me. One eye was completely matted shut (Dan was in the kitchen getting a warm wash cloth for it), but he didn't seem bothered in the least. One-eyed, he smiled his big beautiful grin and welcomed me with a HIIIIiii! That's my boy, smiling through it all.

Last night Dan met some friends out (it's been a long week of caring for a sick boy for him, so he mucho deserved it) while Elijah and I chilled at home alone. At 6:30, which is about 30-45 minutes before his usual bedtime, he started to look extremely tired. I asked him if he wanted to go to bed and he pointed upstairs and said GOGO! So GO upstairs we did, where he promptly fell asleep.

--------------------

We had heard some mixed reviews about good old Dr. Nagib (E's neurosurgeon), so we weren't sure what to expect when we met him last week. We loved him! He is super intense, very quirky and it is evident that he is exceedingly good at what he does. He has been performing neurosurgery since I was born (21 years ago! Okay, maybe a little longer than that.). He has a very gentle nature, he was great with Elijah and he made it clear that he would have sat there for as long as it took to answer our questions. Once again we have evidence that Elijah is in very good hands. The best hands.

--------------------

I forgot to mention that Monday of this week was Elijah's 2-year anniversary for Heart Surgery #1! Happy (belated) day, little one.

--------------------

I am not exaggerating when I say what I'm about to say. MAYBE TWO TIMES in Elijah's life has he slept past 7:00 a.m. 99.98% of the time, he wakes up anywhere between the hours of 4:45 and 6:00. So. Last weekend at Grandma's house? Here were his three wake-up times: 7:20, 7:30 and 8:15. WHAT?! She put him to bed at the same time we do, his room at home is just as dark and quiet as hers. I can't figure it out! It makes me feel bad, like I don't have the perfect combination of factors in our own home that can get Elijah the best sleep possible.

--------------------

I promise I'll post vacation pics this weekend! Sorry I'm a slacker. I've been catching up on sleep. Have I ever mentioned how much I love our bed?

--------------------

June 18th, Elijah's upcoming surgery date, has triple significance. It falls just before Father's Day weekend, which is also the summer solstice. I just realized today that June 18, 2003, was my start date for my current job. Elijah's big dates always have other significance, but triple?? Personally I think it's assurance that this surgery is going to do amazing things for Elijah. I love that.

--------------------

It has been a very long (yet short) week. I'm happy the weekend is here. Dan might work at the dropzone if the weather cooperates and Elijah and I have, um, let's see..oh yeah, NOTHING on our menu.

8 comments:

Ehlan said...

Olivia also sleeps in at Grandma's house--usually until at least 8. I think the factor is no parents. :) Because when we are there, she's still up at 6!

Anonymous said...

holy cow, you guys always amaze me. I hope Elijah returns to his healthy self and you guys can get some much deserved sleep! Miss ya....Kendis

Ann(ie) said...

Is it not precious when they smile thru the gunk? *sigh* That always melts my heart. I'm glad you guys just get to chill and relax this weekend. Matt's out tossing a few back tonight and he also deserves it...such hands on men we have!!! yay. My first hubby was a mucho slacker so to see Matt in action makes me all kinds of happy. ;) xo. Happy Weeekend my friend. Give lil sickie a smooch for me!

mina said...

Hope Elijah is better soon. So sweet that it does phase his strong little heart!

Glad you liked the neurosurgeon, vibes have always meant a lot to me when finding a doctor for my kids.

And happy belated heart day!

Tina:0) said...

Gotta love those matted shut eyes:0) Vaeh's always do that when her nose is runny - they're two peas in a pod.

Happy 2nd Anniversary! These poor kids go through so much, which makes all these milestones so much sweeter!

Hope you all have a nice "nothing-filled" weekend!

Cecilia said...

Hope Elijah is better soon. Give him a big hug and kiss from us.

Relax and enjoy the weekend!

Unknown said...

I am glad you got a chance to catch up on some much needed sleep. You know when My Mom watches Logan over night he does the same thing sleep in at Nana's but not at our home. Very weird I can not explain it.

We will be praying that every thing will go just fine for his operation.

Try and get some more sleep this weekend.

Tiffers said...

I am so glad you liked Dr. Nagib. He is awesome and he looked nothing like I had expected 5 years ago. Does he still have medium length hair that he slicks back? Happy Heart Day for y'all. Wow, 2 years! Just so you know, Harrison rarely, rarely sleeps in passed 6 am too. Thursday night he went to sleep at 10 pm, due to an awards ceremony for brother, and he still woke up at 6:45. Crazy how these little guys don't sleep in. I guess it is spending so much time in the hospital and being poked and prodded. We will keep Elijah in our prayers for a successful surgery, steady hands for Dr. N, and a good recovery period.

Tiffany