Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Surgery date

Looks like Father's Day and the summer solstice are our holidays to spend in the hospital this time! Surgery has been rescheduled for June 18. Elijah will need to remain flat on his back for two days after surgery (which means he will be heavily sedated during that time), and mostly on his back (and still in the hospital) for another 3-5 days.

Elijah is feeling crummy. It's so sad. Goop is oozing out of his eyes, his tummy is upset, he grabs at his ears a lot and his cough sounds just awful. He smiles through it all, though. Our tough boy. The goopy medicine we have to put in his eyes three times a day is torture for him, and it is awful to see him so upset.

Dan will be spending the majority of the week caring for the little sicky, so keep his well-being in your prayers, too, along with Elijah's health. Thank you!!

---------------

Despite being ill, he is still progressing really well with his communication. Yesterday he started saying TRUCK (kuck) and STRAW (aw). Then he showed me one finger and said UH, two fingers and said OO and so on, all the way to five. I didn't even prompt him with this, he just started doing it. Go Elijah!

6 comments:

Cecilia said...

I am so happy for Elijah's great progress on his communication skills but really sorry for his pinky eyes, double ear infection and awful cough. I hope my little man will get better very soon.

Good luck to his surgery on June 18. You all are always in our thoughts. Lots of love xoxo

Jennifer said...

It's great to hear how much progress Elijah's been making. It's not so good to hear about the sickies. Maybe this is the storm before the calm? Praying...I'll pray for you and Dan, too, for some peace and calmness before the big date. You're so right about Elijah and his surgeries falling on significant dates. You've got a special little boy, there.

Tiffers said...

So sorry he is still so sick. All we want for our babies with health issues to have good cognition...at least that is my wants. I am so glad to hear that Elijah is progressing so well cognitively. Glad he said "kuck" for truck and didn't add an F instead of the K. ha ha!!! Hang in there.

Tiffany

Kristen said...

Will keep the date on my calendar to pray for Elijah's big surgery date. I would have bet money that we were going to need to heavily sedate Ethan after his release in order to stay flat for the two days and our NSG kept telling me that I would be surprised by how the kids know not to sit up. He did try to sit up in the PACU, but that was when he was still heavily drugged from the surgery and couldn't feel the pain. Once we were in our room and he tried that, he realized (really quick) how much of a bad idea it really was for him to sit up. I could not believe that Ethan stayed completely flat for the entire two days. Now, day 3 was a different story...he was UP and there was no laying back down after that! LOL!

Sorry my response to you yesterday was so short- I was responding from my phone which typically makes me shorten responses since it takes me so much longer to type on a phone. I would love to talk with you, though!

Kiss lil' man's forehead from his new friends in NC.

Unknown said...

I am so glad you have a date set now comes the hard part.
We will be praying for him.

Lots of love and hugs

Unknown said...

I know Elijah will do amazing with this surgery. He is such a little trooper!

Way to go with the talking Elijah!