Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Three amazing, scary, fun, intense, adventure-filled, tiring, wonderful years.


My (bare-footed) husband, waiting for me to walk down the "aisle" (grass).


(Wearing shoes and) excited to get to him!



We took the chance of having an outdoor wedding and reception in May. In Minnesota. It was a cold (45-degree), rainy, windy day. We took it in stride, though. I refused to put anything on over my very pretty dress, and I didn't complain once! We danced to the music the band played and we enjoyed our time to its fullest. Many many friends and family members came to share our day with us. They were troopers, enduring the cold along with us. As Dan says, "'Twas cold outside, but warm in our hearts." :)



Lately I've been thinking a lot about our wedding day. I believe that God was giving us a glimpse of what our life together would be like. The conditions weren't ideal, there was some discomfort but we had a ton of support from loved ones and we persevered and remained happy and focused on the good things. Sounds familiar!



A lot has happened in three years. More than I ever could have imagined, as I shivered in my shoes on May 13, 2006. The pregnancy complications, the uncertainty surrounding Elijah's outcome, the premature delivery, the heart surgeries, the other surgeries, the hospitalizations, the panic attacks, the anxiety, the amazing way in which our loved ones, and most importantly GOD, carried us through all of that.. It hasn't been easy, but all of it put together has created some pretty cool things. Isn't it interesting what it takes for some people to "get it"? It has taken a lot for Dan and me (well, I speak for myself here). I'm thankful for the jostling, though, because I am very happy about where we are at right now, and I'll admit, I needed it.



I hope this doesn't come across as sounding insincere since it is such a cliche thing to say. I mean this very sincerely.. I could not have walked this incredible 3-year journey with anyone except my amazing husband. We are like two giant puzzle pieces who fit perfectly together. Any other puzzle piece wouldn't have worked. It had to be him and me. That's what God intended.

Happy Anniversary, Husband! Now, let's go to dinner!



p.s. Got Elijah's MRI results back already today. Good and bad news. His brain is perfect, his spine is not. I'll explain tomorrow.

10 comments:

mina said...

So sweet. What a blessing to have Dan by your side.

As far as Elijah's spine goes, bummer about needing surgery, but isn't it good that it got picked up by the MRI? And wonderful news about no brain problems.

Enjoy your special day!

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

Happy Anniversary!

my life: said...

Happy, happy, happy anniversary!!! We are right behind you...and it's not cliche...I feel the SAME way about Michael. :0)

So glad you have him to share this incredible journey with...anxiously awaiting the results of the most kissable faced boy!!!!!

Tina:0) said...

I agree with Amber... no cliche! I know I wouldn't be as "sane" (I use that term loosely - LoL) as I am if it weren't for Jon! I'm sure whatever "speed-bump" this spine thing is, you'll get through it!

Hope you have a wonderful day - enjoy dinner!

Ann(ie) said...

Happy Anniversary to you two!!! What a beautiful post and I'm so glad you have each other to lean on through everything. I agree with everything you wrote b/c some marriages don't do so well under the stress, but you guys really rallied and it shows! AND you my friend looked HAWT on your wedding day!!!! Enjoy Dinner. xo.

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! You two are sooo cute together. The pictures of you both are beutiful.
I hope every thing is ok with E- I will check back tomorrow.
Look foward to seeing next week.

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary! You have me in tears. What beautiful wedding pictures. The one of Dan holding you in his arms just melts my heart.

I left a comment in the previous post about Arianna's spine problems.

Cecilia said...

Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful and strong couple! You are each other's rock. Give Elijah our love and a big hug.

Enjoy dinner with Dan!!!

Lots of love to you all xoxo

Ehlan said...

Aww, beautiful! happy anniversary! Where did you go for dinner?

jennifer said...

Happy Anniversary! You are such a beautiful person inside and out. It shows in your writing and pictures. Dan is a lucky guy to have you, too. Elijah is a pretty blessed dude to have such great parents.