Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wearisome worry-wart

Update:

I just spoke with a nurse from the neurosurgeon's office. Dr. Nagib wants to see Elijah soon. This Friday soon. I am taking Friday off work anyway since Dan and I are leaving for vacation that afternoon, so it works perfectly that Elijah's appointment is in the morning. Yes, I am a tiny bit freaked out about the surgeon wanting us in so quickly, but that just means the sooner we will know what is going on!

And, doesn't it suit Elijah that a big event (this appointment) would fall on another significant date (Leave For Vacation Day)? This always happens, and I believe it is one of the little things God does to remind me that everything is going to be ok.

Original post:

Elijah's newly acquired neurosurgeon has not had a chance to review the scans of his spine. I suppose he is a pretty important guy, so I'll cut him some slack. During this period of waiting for more information, I can't help but worry a bit. Have we caused damage to our little boy's body by taking 2+ years to figure out he has a tethered spinal cord? I know it's good that we are learning this now instead of later, but what if we had known about it a year and a half ago? Would Elijah be walking by now? I see the things he misses out on by not being able to walk and it breaks my heart to think that maybe we could have prevented this by catching the tethered cord earlier.

To add to my worries, Elijah has been refusing (screaming, crying, freaking out) to use his walker for the past week or so. I wonder if he is in pain? Discomfort? Being stubborn? Just not interested? Who knows.

I know what you're thinking because I'm thinking it, too. How silly of me to worry so much about this. Elijah will walk when the time is right. He is perfect. We couldn't love him any less than we do now. He is happy and healthy. God has taken, and is taking, very good care of him.

It has been a tired, tense past couple of days (weeks?) in our house. Nothing in particular has happened, we are just sleep-deprived (Dan and I have suddenly forgotten how to sleep, which is totally maddening) and we feel weary. That's why it is a very good thing that we leave for vacation on Friday! Elijah is going to stay with Grandma for a few days while Dan and I travel across the country to lay by a pool, soak up the hot sun, eat lots of yummy food and just spend some quality alone time together. I honestly cannot wait. It is always tough for me to be away from my little boy (wait until you see the flashcards I'm going to make that are going to help me with this!), but Dan and I need this right now. When we get home, we will be a much better couple and much better parents because of it.

On a positive note, Elijah is saying new words left and right. It is just awesome to see (hear) this. Last night I heard him say TEETH (teet), MAP (ap) and DONE (duh). I love it! Keep it up, my amazing little boy.

Oh, and Elijah is 27 months old today!

I hope you all are having a good week. Thank you for checking in..

p.s. Miraculously, Elijah's croup didn't turn into anything at all last week. Not even a cough!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wouldn't worry about Elijah not wanting to use his walker for a bit since he's making so much progress word-wise. I've heard before from other parents that many toddlers prefer to focus on either learning to walk or learning . . . but not both at the same time. You and Dan are doing a wonderful job with your amazing little boy and i have faith everything will happen at the correct time. :)
Debra

mina said...

Elijah is doing great! I wouldn't be too concerned about late diagnosis, hopefully it will all work out fine. And the speech really seems to have taken off!

Tina:0) said...

Yay for the spech taking off!! Before you know it, he'll be talking your ear off:0)

As for the quick appointment... like you said, that means you'll know what's going on sooner!

Keeping you all in our prayers! Oh, & have a great time on vacation! Give that handsome little guy some smooches from us!

The Smith's said...

I can 100% relate to your wearisome worry post. That God would break me from too much worry is almost always on the top of my prayer list! I think it is perfectly okay to have those moments of worry/fear/anxiety, the challenge is that we don't stay there! Praying that for you ... I think you're right, this vacation will do lots o' good! Wishing I were about to lay by a pool (and not our kiddie pool out back that's got floating pine needles in it ;)

Love to you and safe travels! Where are you guys headed anyway?

Jesse

Tiffers said...

I want you to have those questions ready to ask Dr. Nagib. He will answer them. Also wanted you to know, when he was Will's surgeon he was listed in the Minneapolis Magazine as one of the TOP NEUROSURGEONS. That is awesome about his new words. I know you hear it all the time...he will walk...but want you to know that it is okay to feel frustrated. Good luck on Friday...he hope you like Dr. Nagib...we sure do...and he worked wonders with Will. Have fun in the sun and recharge your batteries for the next challenge.

Tiffany

Ann(ie) said...

I am a fellow worrywart ... you are in good company, love. We don't roll with sleep deprivation in my household very well either. Vacation will definitely help renew you guys!!! xo.

Doyle said...

Remember who you rely on and trust the most... He will take care of everything and with His guidance, you two know the best!!! Enjoy your vaca!!! :-) Doyle

Sarah said...

I, a fellow worrywart, do not think your worrying is silly. You love your little guy so very much. I'll be praying for Fridays appointment. I pray you and Dan have a wonderful vaca alone!

Cecilia said...

Megan you are not alone because I am a fellow worrywart. Good luck to Eli's appointment on Friday. You and Dan deserve a break and a great vacation, enjoy your trip to Vegas!!! Lots of love to you all xoxo