Thursday, August 21, 2008

Getting better from here, we hope



Our little man just didn't feel well today. Understandably so. If you could see his incisions and stitches and swollen, bruised skin, you would understand. He was exhausted all day, he was a pretty crabby guy, and he didn't act like himself at all. I came home for lunch to spend some time with him and noticed that he felt a little bit warm and had flushed cheeks. I took his temp and surprisingly, he had a normal temp. I was shocked! Dan said he took his temp again after his nap this afternoon and it was still normal. When I got home from work he felt even warmer than he did over lunch so I took his temp again and...nothing! I don't get it! I even used two different thermometers. I'm a mommy. I know when my baby is warm. Elijah was WARM. But the thermometers weren't reading anything above normal. Weird??? I put him to bed early because he was totally exhausted, and he has been sleeping peacefully since. I keep praying that today was the worst of it. That after today, things will start to get better. That there will be no fevers or scares. That this surgery was the right thing to do and the right time to do it.


It might look like he is in pain, but this is actually his flirty face. So cute.


The deeply flirting face

We didn't NEED to do this surgery right now. It was different from his heart surgeries because those were absolutely necessary in order for him to survive. This wasn't. I keep wondering, if something were to go wrong, if he were to get an infection, how guilty would I feel about that? But I really shouldn't go there. We are just looking out for him. We don't want him to remember these surgeries, so it is best to get them done now, while he is very young. All we can do now is pray that everything turns out ok and that he starts to bounce back.


Mmmmmm, cookie


Preoccupied with Veggie Tales

Dan is planning to be at the dropzone all weekend, and Elijah and I are going to play things by ear. We'll see how tomorrow plays out and go from there. If he is feeling better, we might spend Saturday night at the dropzone as well. If he isn't feeling better, we'll hang out at home. Please continue to pray for our sweet boy. We want no complications and for him to start feeling better soon. Thanks! And thanks for the prayers for Baby Johnny, too. Have a good weekend! Thanks for checking in on us.

8 comments:

Kathy said...

You are such a sweetie for posting pics for us to see before we go to bed. He does look really good. You know...Isaac rarely shows a temp when he has one (I have to check him bum--I know...who does that anymore...but, it's the only true reading I can get when i think he's warm) Don't tell Elijah that I told you that!
Hope you can all make it to the drop zone...you crazy guys!!! I wish I was just a tad brave...nothing here but scaredy pants!!!
Much love to you guys..
and glad that you were able to check in on Mr. Johnny!
Smoochy moochy on E's cheeks for us!
kathy

Tina:0) said...

Glad to hear that he's getting a little better despite being 'owie'! Hope the cookies & Veggie Tales are helping!

Hope you are able to get up to Dropzone, but if not... have fun snuggling with the little man!

Give him big kisses & hugs from us!

my life: said...

Here's the thing....with all of that exposed skin....I want to nibble on that CHUB! Oh my goodness...how sweet is he???

Don't ever "second guess"....I'm sure today was the worst of it...
;^)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Megan...I feel just like you about the surgery. If the MRI shows what the doc thinks, Jacob doesn't need this knee surgery to survive, but he does need it. No surgery is ever easy, but we were pretty much forced into the other ones! Once your little man is all recovered I'm sure you'll be glad you went ahead and got it over with.

Hope Elijah starts feeling better tomorrow and that no fever shows up! Glad you'll get another good bonding weekend in!

Love ya,

Cindy

Samantha said...

Megan...I hope that Mr. Elijah woke up feeling refreshed and happier today. He looks so cute in those pictures...I just look at his adorable chunky wrists and want to eat him up!!! I am sure that once this recovery is over with you will be so happy that you did the surgery now, when Eli can't remember it. He is so strong and he bounces back so quickly! What an amazing little man you have! I know how icky surgeries in that area are...Noah had a hernia repair when he was 18 months old and that is just not an area you want messed with :) I am glad that it is over and I am sure that Eli is well on his way to getting all better! As for that fever business...that happens a lot with Micah too...I swear he has a fever and the thermometer says "no way"...I tend not to believe the machine...you are right, a MOM knows when something is not right with her baby...always!

Anyway, I hope that you have a great weekend...one that you get some more well deserved rest and lots and lots of fun time snuggling with that chunky monkey of yours!!!

Love ya!
Samantha

MommyLisa said...

I hope all is well, that is one very sweet-faced little man you have there mommy!!! kiss the cheeks for us all!

Anonymous said...

Hope the Portas do well this weekend! Thinking of you always..........luv, Kendis

Ann(ie) said...

Okay, I have to fess up to something right here and now. I haven't had a chance to comment much the last couple of days, but I've been a drive by just to see that flirty face over and OVER. Oh.my.god. I might need to make it my screen saver. Do you think Ben will be jealous!!!!? He is so cute, girl.