Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Here we go again

I never thought I'd be so happy to announce such a thing, but SURGERY IS ON! We took Elijah to the doctor for a quick check since it wouldn't be very fun to be sent home from the hospital in the morning for being too sick. The doctor said his lungs sound great and that it's just his nose and throat that are gunky.

We will get to the hospital at 7:00 in the morning, and surgery is scheduled to start at 8:30. We haven't talked to his surgeon in months, so I can't remember how long the surgery will take. I think I remember hearing somewhere around 2-3 hours. We are planning on spending the night tomorrow night since that is what we were told to expect. Hopefully Elijah will show everyone that he doesn't need to stay overnight, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

Elijah has about a billion trucks, but I just couldn't resist getting him another one to give him after his surgery for being such a brave, big boy. He's going to love it. Now, no more trucks till at least Christmas!

I know this surgery is much less risky than some he has been through, but I still don't like it. It's still not easy. I still have a tummy full of knots and a desire to flee to Nassau. But it will be good to put behind us. One more thing to check off the list. We know God has this under control, so we will put our focus on that.

Please pray for our munchkin. Pray that his lingering cold doesn't interfere with his intubation/surgery, that the surgery goes as planned, that he doesn't get too emotionally traumatized by any of this and that we won't need to spend a night in the hospital. Thank you!

Also, please say a prayer for Johnathan and his sweet family. Baby Johnny is having open heart surgery right now, as I type, at Children's-Minneapolis. He is four months old and his heart was in serious need of correction leading up to today. Our very own wonderful surgeons are working on him, so we know he is in good hands. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts.

13 comments:

ThePicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ThePicks said...

Wishing you guys all the best tomorrow. Elijah is a strong, sweet, brave little man. We know he will do great. Praying that the surgery is completely successful and that the hospital visit doesn't last any longer than necessary =)

Love,
The RA

jencooper said...

Good luck tomorrow. Elijah is going to be amazing! We will be saying lots of prayers. Please keep us posted tomorrow!

<3,
Jennifer

Ehlan said...

Lots of prayers! What is his surgery for?

Lea said...

That's great that the surgery is on. I know just how you feel, all the last few days I have been thinking "Here we go again..." Thanks so much for your prayers for Johnathan. I hope that we have a chance to see you tomorrow. I will be praying for Elijah and both of you. Would be great if he didn't have to stay the night.

my life: said...

I'm so praying...as are my kids...they read a lot of the blogs with me and my daughter is equally in love with Elijah!!!

BTW...I love the photo below...that cracked me up!!!

Tina:0) said...

Okay, Elijah, no bumps in the road! A quick in & out, then home to play with the new truck that Mommy & Daddy got for you!

Maybe use the truck to bribe him?!? Just kidding! We'll certainly be praying that all goes well & he's back to his adorable normal self soon! Give him big smooches & hugs from us!
XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

We'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow and saying lots of prayers! Give Elijah a big hug from us!

Love ya,

Cindy

Unknown said...

I just got caught up on the last few posts. How exciting to see all these new first for Elijah!

I'll be praying for a easy intubation, quick surgery, smooth recovery, and home by tomorrow night. Your right...this isn't as scary of a surgery but it's still surgery. I would be feeling the same way. He will do fine.

Hugs,
Vanessa

Anonymous said...

The three of you are in our thoughts today! You guys are all such troopers. We'll be checking in to see how everything went.

Amy, Mitch & Wilson

Sarah said...

Praying for you guys today - can't wait for the update. Elijah - you deserve a billion trucks!!!

Samantha said...

Hi there Porta Family! I am thinking of you all today and saying lots of prayers for an easy recovery for the little man. I am wearing my Team Elijah t-shirt for you!!!!

Much love,
Samantha

Ann(ie) said...

This is what I get for being so behind on blogging. Oh girly...I'm gonna continuing reading, but i just know your little champ is kicking some surgery booty!!!!!