Sunday, August 3, 2008

Good things and some scary, too

Sorry for being so absent lately! My dad, stepmom and little brother have been in town since Friday and we've been busy catching up and spending time together. We have had a really nice, relaxing weekend and they have been eating Elijah up! He totally loves the attention and he has done the flirty face even more than usual the past few days.





This afternoon we had a dedication for Elijah at our house. Dan's dad led it, and Elijah was a very good boy. He kept throwing flirty glances around the room at people as Dan's dad was talking. It was hard not to laugh at the cuteness. He is going to LOVE being in groups of people when he gets older. He is a complete, total ham.


Reading and driving at the same time


Hanging out in the LoveSac with Uncle Joel


Sitting on cousin Dane's lap, in between text messages to his girlfriend (Dane, not Elijah)


The boys watching baseball


Reading his new books from Grandma and Grandpa



Ok, saving the icky news for last. Early this morning at 2:00, I heard Elijah crying through the baby monitor. I listened closely and I could hear that he was having a very hard time catching a breath. We ran into his room and he was REALLY congested. Like, more congested than I have ever heard him before. Every breath was a huge struggle for him and you could just see his little chest working so hard. When we first turned on the light his lips and face were a lovely shade of blue/purple and that's when I started to panic. After we gave him a nebulizer treatment, we took him into the bathroom and turned on the shower as hot as it would go to get him to breathe in some steam. He still sounded horrible. We debated for 2.5 hours whether or not to take him to the hospital. Since things weren't seeming to get better, we headed for Children's. On the way, his disposition was improving and he was smiling and babbling. By the time we got off on the exit ramp (30 minutes later), his breathing sounded much better. I looked at Dan and said, "Ok, I don't know what to do. Maybe we should say a prayer." Dan asked that we please be led in the right direction because going to the hospital with a heart baby unecessarily is a HUGE PAIN. Lots of poking and xraying and waiting in an ER and little sleep and extra cautious doctors and nurses. But of course, if that was what he needed, we wanted him there. Dan said, "Please give us a sign!" We were almost to the hospital and I was thinking, hmmmmm I haven't seen any signs yet so maybe that means we should park and go inside. Just then, Dan said, "UHhhh, is THAT a big enough sign?" I looked ahead and there were HUGE road barriers a half a block before our turn into the hospital ramp. One sign said "Road closed" and the other said "detour." We laughed and saw that as an opportunity to go home.

Once home, he was a bit better. He has been coughing all day, which is good because he needs to get the junk out. I'm a bit worried about tonight and how he will do but we'll just have to wait and see.

Last night was a reminder to me that nothing is EVER "normal" for Elijah. A simple congested chest? Not simple. It means blue lips, concern for his heart, concern for his lungs... It's an awful feeling. His heart is "fixed," yes, but we will always always need to be on our toes.

Thanks for checking in on us. If you wouldn't mind, maybe say a little prayer that this congestion passes quickly. No more blue lips! I suddenly can't stand the color blue.

15 comments:

THE LYONS FAMILY! said...

Oh yikes! I hope you can get through the evening with a visit to the ER so you can just call your doctor tomorrow! I'll be praying for the little man tonight!

Tina:0) said...

Wow - what a night! Its so nice when the signs from Him are so clear!! I'll be praying that the congestion clears up quickly!

I love the pics - he's just growing up WAY to quickly!! They need to find something that we can give our kids to pause their growing!

Hope you had a nice visit with your family:0)

PS - Loved the email!

Anonymous said...

been there more than a few times...you just have to trust your instincts. you know what is best for your little man. Best wishes for a quick recovery with no more hospital scares.

Krista said...

Yeah for signs...I'm so grateful that God answered that prayer as there is NO quick trip to the hospital. We will definitely be sending up prayers on this end for a quick speady recovery!

my life: said...

Oh my goodness! Poor thing..(any one of you can claim that!) Even as a peds nurse, I struggle on those respiratory calls. As we all know, things change so quickly...quickly-horrible & quickly-better(better enough to wait for an office visit!) My thoughts and prayers are with your sweet baby tonight....

Kathy said...

OH...glad you stumbled onto that sign (sooo cute!). We'll keep Mr. E in our prayers...where did all this junk come from (allegies??)
and as for blue....tell Dan that chicks dig pink...so, just start dressing him in pink polos!
(I can't stand that blue lips, face thing either...and I'm always looking for "which shade of blue are his lips today?? A shade we should worry about...or just a hint of blue? ridiculous!"
Love to you guys...
hope Elijah sleeps better tonight and the junk clears out!
Kathy

Ann(ie) said...

OH girlie. That's scary! I will send prayers your way and I hope lil man gets through the night beautifully! Those pictures are pretty adorable you know. I love love love lil man Eli's facial expressions!!! Oh how I wish I could see him and Ben in action together! ;)

Andrea said...

I'm glad you got to avoid the ER last night. Drew does that to us all the time! As soon as we make the decision to bring him in and load him up into the car, he quickly improves! Praying the congestion is gone!

mina said...

I know what you mean about blue, it's not a nice color when it comes to heart babies. I hope Elijah is better soon; why do kids have to get sick at night??!! Not conveniently, when the pediatrician's office is open, say at 9am?

I love how he's just so social. He seems so relaxed around everyone, he'll be the light of the party when he's older.

Anonymous said...

Elijah is getting more and more handsome by the day. I am praying for his congestion to clear up and that his heart is of no concern. xo

p.s--Justin has the same car toy in the first pic. So cool.

Anonymous said...

Got to love the signs! :)
Sue from work.

Colin's Blog said...

Oh no-glad to hear the scary episode is over. I am so afraid of Colin getting a cold AND ending back up in the hospital. I completely understand about not wanting to take Elijah to the hospital unless absolutely necessary. Hopefully, it will pass soon. I'm not looking forward to winter....

Anonymous said...

Eli looks so cute and is sitting up so straight in the picture with the book! Lots and lots of Prayers, happy thoughts and hugs coming your way!
Love and hugs
Tammy

Lea said...

Cute pics of Elijah! So sorry to hear about the rough night and ER scare. I will keep Elijah in my prayers! Thanks for your prayers for Johnathan.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a good time with your family. I'm sure they were just all over that little man...who wouldn't be?

Hope the congestion is getting a little better. Boy...you asked for a sign and sure got one, huh!

Love ya!

Cindy