Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Pride

I'm so proud of my hubby. He made his first practice tandem jump today. That's a big jump! Just a few more and he will be taking "real" people on skydives and making some money on top of that. He has worked so hard this summer to get to this point. I'm very proud.

Elijah is still sick. He still coughs a lot and is super gunky. At night he is sleeping much better though, thankfully. He is such an amazing little kid. Despite his sickness, he is scooting around everywhere, breathing heavy and panting, but passionately playing with his trucks. I came home over lunch yesterday and he scooted across the entire living room, over to the entryway and BRRrrrrmmm Brrrmmmm, ran his trucks along the hard floor. Pretty soon we're going to be chasing him everywhere.

Since last weekend I have had a greater appreciation for our son's life. I had somehow forgotten the fragility of these sweet, precious little lives. Nothing is "normal," and it never will be, no matter how "fixed" Elijah's heart is. Life is so precious. Appreciate and LOVE the people around you. Let them know how special they are. I love this little boy more than I ever could have imagined. He is my miracle, my joy, my wonderful and precious gift. Elijah, I LOVE YOU.

Some cute things he has been doing lately:

When he sees food, he starts smacking his lips as if to say, I'M HUNGRY! GIMME!

The flirty face is out of control.. Wow, kid, you play that on everyone. You most definitely know how to flirt.

He drops food off the table a lot. I think he starts to do it to test us but then he continues because he knows it's wrong. The look he gives us when he attempts a drop-off is priceless.

9 comments:

Lea said...

okay so now I have a Google account so that I can leave comments. Dave is trying to talk me into starting my own blog. I am thinking about it... I love to write. Last night I was reading the Rollers (Kathy is so funny, she cracks me up) and saw that she was asking people to pray for Elijah. So I wonder, what is wrong with Elijah, so I check your blog and see that you almost went to the ER. Blogging is crazy!! But I am now addicted to the Portas and the Rollers and a few others. I will keep praying for Elijah. It is so not fun to have a sick kid, especially when you are all up all night. Would be great to see you and visit for a few minutes on the 20th. I'm sure that we will be at the hospital quite a bit those days. Maybe we can talk closer to the time. That's all for now, time to sleep.

jencooper said...

Sorry - I am running behind on commenting. I have been at dance camp all week.

We are saying lots of prayers for Elijah to feel much better!!

<3,
Jen

Tina:0) said...

Glad that the little man is feeling better!

I know what you mean about the fragility vs. normalcy. I look at Vaeh & all the "normal" things she's finally doing, things that I've been longing for... and then that thought creeps back in that she's not "normal". I try not to dwell on it, because it makes me so sad to think of the bad things.

Okay, on to brighter thoughts! Congrats, Dan on the tandem jump! I still think you're nuts for voluntarily jumping out of a plane, but kudos anyway!

Give that handsome little man big smooches & hugs from us!

Tina:0) said...

BTW - we NEED to see more pics of that flurty face:0)!

Samantha said...

Yay Dan! What an exciting thing for you...even though that whole jumping out of planes things terrifies me!!!

That Elijah is a sweetie pie...he is so cute and I cannot wait to see some more pictures of him! He is just testing you with the food dropping thing...something they told me to do with Micah when he was doing that (if you feel comfortable) is just picking it back up and without saying anything, placing it right back on his plate...over and over...then he realizes that even throwing it over gets no reaction and he is still going to be presented it to eat...not sure if that is even something you would consider doing...it did not work real well over here since Buster the dog would sweep in and clean up whatever he dropped in a hurry!

Hang in there...our kids will always be a bit more fragile than the others, but that just reminds us of how beautiful life is. He is such an amazing little guy! Did you bring him to the pediatrician to get him checked out? Just wondering.

much love,
samantha

my life: said...

So glad to hear he's better....I can REALLY relate to the...food to floor...thing. It's still one of Gracie's favorite things to try. I'm not sure why....she always gets the same reaction...hm. BTW, thank you for all of your sweet words of encouragement...is your personal journey somewhere in the bowels of this blog????? ;^)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Dan! Scary stuff, but he's been working so hard! The extra money will be nice, too! :)

Elijah is totally testing you. I get a look from Jacob when he drops food on the floor like "yep, watch me drop this". Although now he says "catch it" and throws it right at me! Oh well, these boys will always give us something to scratch our heads about!

Hope the little man keeps feeling better. No sickness allowed over in the Porta house!!

Love ya,

Cindy

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to catch up - busy busy busy. :-) Sorry to hear that Elijah has been sick - I hope he is well on the mend now and feeling better.

Ann(ie) said...

Poor little man!! :( You are so right, love. These days we have are precious for sure. The older I get and the more I see I realize it, too. And it totally changes your outlook once you have kids. Especially what you guys have endured.

I SO love those flirty faces they make. hehe. I just melt when Ben starts doing those.

AND YAY HUBBY!!! woooo!