Saturday, August 23, 2008

Progress

Today was definitely the turn-around day, but we still had some difficulties. Last night I was feeling overwhelmed with all the things Elijah's little body needed to do to be healthy again, so I decided to focus on one of those things and pray hard for it. So I prayed for poop. And wow, that prayer sure was answered today because I changed TWELVE poopy diapers! I'm not joking! Tonight I'm focusing my prayers on fluid intake because he is still refusing to drink much. Hopefully tomorrow he will be chugging down his water like he usually does.

He was pretty tired and crabby for most of the day today. Thank goodness for Veggie Tales. What did people do to console their sick, tired, crabby babies before television? I can't imagine! He was so ready for bed by 5:00, but I managed to hold him off till 6:00 and he's been totally zonked since then.

His temp fluctuated a lot again today, but it never got higher than 99.2 degrees. I think those antibiotics are doing their job and fighting something off. I'm hoping for no elevated temps tomorrow. The area that was worked on in surgery is looking much better, but it's still hard to look at. Poor little man. He's been through so much.

We did manage to make it to the park today for some swinging. He looooves to swing. When we turn the corner to the park, he sees the swings and starts to flap his arms and kick his legs like a crazy man. He's so funny. Other than that, we just hung out at home and did lots of playing and reading books and watching Veggie Tales when he got really fussy.

I decided it wasn't in Elijah's best interest to spend the night at the dropzone, so we are at home right now. We miss Daddy! It's hard spending weekends away from him now, but it will be good to have the extra money. Dan has been so focused on this goal all summer and I'm so proud of him for making it happen and doing everything he can to contribute financially. My job provides us with unbeatable benefits, so me leaving there is not an option for us. With him substitute teaching throughout the school year, he has been able to be with Elijah through some critical times. He has had the flexibility to stay home with him when needed, and he has never complained about our situation. He is such a good daddy. Elijah and I love him so much.

One last thing. It is my stepmom's birthday today and I want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to her! She has been such a huge support for us. She has been so wonderful to my dad and to me and to my family. We all love her very much. She treats me as her own daughter and I'm so thankful for that. Paula, we love you! We can't wait to see you in November!

Thanks for checking in. Sorry, no pics tonight. Tomorrow!

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Elijah I hope your sleeping well and will feeling better tomorrow... Evan is looking at your pictures and he wants me to tell you, "I hope your feeling good, and socky wocky (not really sure about that???)"
Ditto to having unbeatable benefits - there is no way I could quit my job - it would not be in Evan's best interest. We do our best and well.... that is all we can do.

Kathy said...

We'll say a prayer for Elijah tonight too. BUT, at least he's improving and was feeling good enough to swing. The extra rest will do his little body good. Thanks for keeping Isaac in your prayers.

and Happy Birthday Paula...you have one amazing little family!!!

Sweet dreams tonight Meghan!! and have fun Dan!!!

kathy

my life: said...

Thanks for sharing your specific prayer....we can join you in that!!!

Thanks for visiting....even if it is to enjoy my tunes!! ;^) That's actually one of my favorites too!

I probably need to dive into the "bowels" of your blog to get more background information on....all sorts of things...hm...

Unknown said...

Thats exactly what I have to do...concentrate on one thing at a time. I'm so happy to hear he pooped for you! I know...who would of thought having your child poop would make a mother so happy. I'm sorry I haven't posted lately but we've been feeling yucky over here. I'm happy to hear the surgery went well and you got to come home the same night.

Much love,

Vanessa

ThePicks said...

Been thinking of you guys and hoping Elijah has a speedy recovery from this procedure. He is such a strong, patient little guy. Sounds like the swinging action was a big hit! Hope tomorrow brings fluid intake success...

ps - way to go on the skydiving tandem scene Dan!!!!

LOL,
The RA

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

12 poopy nappies!!! ikk
I sure hope your lil man is on the med real soon..
You have all had more than your fair share of stress!

Andrea said...

Glad to hear that Elijah is steadily improving. And how wonderful that he got some time to swing today! I hope he's feeling even better tomorrow!

Tina:0) said...

Now, tell me that prayer doesn't work?!?!! LOL! Did you forget to ask that it stop at a normal level - HA! Glad he's turned the corner & is feeling somewhat better. Give that little man some smooches for us!

I know what you mean about missing Dan. Jon usually leaves late Sunday night & doesn't get back home until late Friday! Stinks, but the bills have to get paid somehow! Just makes when he's home that much more special!

Hope you have a great weekend (what's left) & that Elijah continues to feel better!
Much Love!!

jencooper said...

Woohoo!! Let's hear it for poop!! I am so happy to hear that we are feeling a little better.

I hope that you have a great time with Dan once he gets home. I know that you must really miss him.

Happy Birthday Paula!

<3,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Wow..that's alot of poop! Glad Elijah is feeling a bit better and you were able to go to the park. I'm sure he loved to get out and swing!

Dan's probably home by now, so hope you're enjoying some alone time!

Have a great, uneventful week!

Love,

Cindy

Ann(ie) said...

SO glad he's doing better, love. And I hear ya. My saving grace is Handy Manny. Ben digs it!